Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zeth006

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Not that I'm seriously planning to buy one. But one player I'd definitely look at is the Cowon J3.

http://www.i4u.com/article33949.html

Doesn't have all the apps or wifi like the iPod Touch, but Engadget says the sound quality and UI are really nice.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Also, as mentioned earlier, remember that Apple will most likely release their 4th generation iPod Touch. That alone will result in the 3rd generation iPod Touch's average fleabay sale price plummeting.

no, not true. The next iPod Touch won't be out until September.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 13, 2010 4:59 pm

burvowski wrote:believe certain states have tax-free sale days over the summer. I know my state (PA) does that in August, which would be a good time to pick up a Mac before law school

Oh, yea, I guess there is that. I can't wait until August. I might just have it shipped to Delaware.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu May 13, 2010 5:10 pm

all macbook pros were just updated...

apple will do deal with updated macbook pros and old ipods....

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm

superflush wrote:
Also, as mentioned earlier, remember that Apple will most likely release their 4th generation iPod Touch. That alone will result in the 3rd generation iPod Touch's average fleabay sale price plummeting.

no, not true. The next iPod Touch won't be out until September.

I think you're missing the point. Many people who get in on the iPod Touch promotion are going to sell it on eBay. They won't sell them all at once--some people use them for 1-2 month then sell them. The early sellers will make more than those who sell them in September. That much is obvious. But you sure won't be able to sell that Touch for what it's selling for on Amazon.com. The iPod Touch's release in September will only lower the price further.
Last edited by zeth006 on Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holborn

Postby holborn » Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm

I mean, I get that it goes on for months. im just wondering bc the website says that promotion is no longer happening. so im wondering if thats been up since last year and i can look forward to my free ipod touch in august, or if the promotion was in april/may and im sol for this fall.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Chupavida wrote:Here's how (and why) the apple student deal works.

Every year (July/August) in preparation for the school year they offer a free ipod + printer with the purchase of any Mac. They do this with models that are usually months old (macs and ipods both) in order to move a lot of volume and clean out inventory. So rather than "devaluing" their product by putting it on sale, they throw in a free ipod which accomplishes essentially the same thing without the perceived stigma of a "sale." New ipod/laptop models are typically released in October, starting at the same prices as the previous year's models. Thus the buyer faces the choice of buying in July/August and getting a free ipod/printer, or waiting until Oct/Jan for an updated model with better specs for the same price.

If you don't care about the processor bump (since that's all an update would be at this point for the current MBP design), then you're obviously better off getting the sexy/resellable ipod and printer for free.

If you read the fine print, it's just a $100 off on a printer. Not such a hot deal when Apple's printer lineup is rather limited not to mention undiscounted unlike Amazon.com.

Also the Macbook Pro just got refreshed. There's no way they're doing another refresh in October.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Chupavida wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:I mean, I get that it goes on for months. im just wondering bc the website says that promotion is no longer happening. so im wondering if thats been up since last year and i can look forward to my free ipod touch in august, or if the promotion was in april/may and im sol for this fall.

Promo is always July/August ish.

TITCR. Just wait until then. You'll get your iPod Touch. But I don't see much of a point in the $100 off printer promotion. FWIW, you're best off getting in on a Staples promotion for a monochrome Brother printer.

I bought this one when it went on sale at staples. $99 for it IMO is still worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2170W- ... 676&sr=8-1

Tons of toner sellers on Amazon.com and eBay to choose from.
Last edited by zeth006 on Thu May 13, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu May 13, 2010 5:24 pm

When I got my macbook, I got to pick a printer and an ipod. T'was awesome

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Chupavida wrote:
Headybrah wrote:all macbook pros were just updated...

apple will do deal with updated macbook pros and old ipods....

The April refresh (as opposed to Februrary like most years) is an anomaly caused by the iPad launch. It still fits with my "months old" assessment. I still expect some sort of laptop refresh in Oct (13", MBA), as well as the obvious iPod update.

That sounds about right. Macbook Air and white Macbook refresh. They're both rather overdue.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 13, 2010 5:25 pm

bagosian

Postby bagosian » Thu May 13, 2010 5:26 pm

This may be helpful to some:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Chupavida wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
Chupavida wrote:Here's how (and why) the apple student deal works.

Every year (July/August) in preparation for the school year they offer a free ipod + printer with the purchase of any Mac. They do this with models that are usually months old (macs and ipods both) in order to move a lot of volume and clean out inventory. So rather than "devaluing" their product by putting it on sale, they throw in a free ipod which accomplishes essentially the same thing without the perceived stigma of a "sale." New ipod/laptop models are typically released in October, starting at the same prices as the previous year's models. Thus the buyer faces the choice of buying in July/August and getting a free ipod/printer, or waiting until Oct/Jan for an updated model with better specs for the same price.

If you don't care about the processor bump (since that's all an update would be at this point for the current MBP design), then you're obviously better off getting the sexy/resellable ipod and printer for free.

If you read the fine print, it's just a $100 off on a printer. Not such a hot deal when Apple's printer lineup is rather limited not to mention undiscounted unlike Amazon.com.

Also the Macbook Pro just got refreshed. There's no way they're doing another refresh in October.

TBH, you could say the same thing about the "free" ipod since it's just a $240 rebate or whatever. If you choose a better model you pay the difference. They have a few $100 printers available for "free" every year.

I'd still put money on an Oct update of some sort. But it's also quite likely that the laptops won't see a refresh until Feb.

The iPod's actually a different case. Apple don't make or sell their own printers. They simply get a few from other manufacturers like HP. Once again, $100 off printer promotion is kind of measly though if you don't have to pay state taxes, the equation does get changed somewhat. Even then, when you buy a printer based off of ratings on websites like Amazon.com and tech websites, you'll probably get your money's worth buying the printer elsewhere. I'm sure you can ditch the printer special and get in on the iPod Touch deal which IMO if you're not paying taxes is probably not too bad if you sell early. Seriously. A lot of the printers on Apple's website get horrible ratings. The few that do get 4/5 stars on Apple.com and other websites are priced so much lower on Amazon.com and/or they're simply outdated and have been replaced by newer models that are lower-priced anyway!

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Don't buy a printer from Apple.

Buy a HP 4200dtn, the last great printer ever made (and probably ever to be made.) Odds are it will last you 5+ years, if not 10 or more.

Should go for between $150-$250, shipped, via ebay or refurbishers. Get one with at least a 30 day warranty as described from the seller, more if from a refurbisher, and put its through its paces when it arrives.

This, afaik, is still the most popular workgroup laser at law firms, for a damn good reason.

Years before the 4200 replaced it there was the LaserJet4, a remarkable number of which are also still in use (grab one if ever offered it for free and it has a network card.) A LJ4 will fall off the back of a moving truck and keep printing. After a nuclear apocalypse, the only things left will be cockroaches and LaserJet4's. LJ4's will pretty much be in service until their toner cartridges go out of manufacture. The 4200 is almost as tough, and much faster. After the 4200, HP stopped building them like that. (It seems to me that even the basic materials the parts were made from changed to cheaper stuff.)

Get the DTN version, so it comes with both a network card and a duplexer (for double sided.) This enables you to do double-sided pamphlet printing, especially great for printing out cases so they can be read like slip opinions or pocket parts. (Folded and stapled in the middle, with a blueback if you want to be fastidious.) You'll get an extra tray (the 'T' in the 'DTN'), which you can use or throw in a closet (or back on the 'bay.) Sometimes you can find a 'DN' w/o the tray, but few were made in that spec.

LJ4200:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet_4000
--ImageRemoved--
extra try not pictured.

LJ4:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet_4
--ImageRemoved--

Bonus HP printer fun: changing the front panel to read "INSERT COIN" or similar. especially on lab printers. LOL.
Last edited by Duralex on Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:00 pm

That's the one part that's always bothered me about electronics or consumer items in general. They're built with a goal of planned obsolescence. There simply is no business interest in continuing to sell a printer that's that reliable.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Zeth, yea thats fine, but you made it sound like a new iPod Touch will be out soon, which it won't.
Also, to whoever said that the macbooks are usually updated in October: yes, sometimes, but the MBPs were just updated, so when I buy one right after WWDC (or whenever) it isn't like I'll be getting an old MBP. It will be rather new.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 13, 2010 9:04 pm

zeth006 wrote:That's the one part that's always bothered me about electronics or consumer items in general. They're built with a goal of planned obsolescence. There simply is no business interest in continuing to sell a printer that's that reliable.

Thhe printer is just a razor-and-blades scheme. (not really planned obsolescence)

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 13, 2010 9:15 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm

So, 25 pages in, I believe the advice is buy a Macbook.

Or a Lenovo.

But an Asus or a Sony might work too.

Fuck it, just buy whatever appeals to you. As long as it isn't a Dell.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Or a HP.

(That is: don't buy an HP laptop. They have nice servers due to the Compaq buyout, nice monitors, decent office desktops, but disastrous laptops.)
Last edited by Duralex on Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:29 pm

kalvano wrote:So, 25 pages in, I believe the advice is buy a Macbook.

Or a Lenovo.

But an Asus or a Sony might work too.

Fuck it, just buy whatever appeals to you. As long as it isn't a Dell.

Haha. Dell's recent notebooks aren't bad at all. Just make sure to buy the 3-year warranty.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 pm

So they aren't bad, but they aren't good enough to recommend without the purchase of an extended warranty?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”