Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Duralex

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Duralex » Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm

I think you can run SnowLeo on a T410 (prob. best w/a nvidia GPU), but sleep and wifi may not work.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

barkingbug wrote:Maybe the software and logo are worth it.

I can see your grasp of logic sending you far in your legal career.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm

burvowski wrote:

Shut up.

mikehoe

Postby mikehoe » Tue May 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Get a MacBook Pro.

Apple's laptops just got price drops (Macbook Air) and improvements (Macbook Pro) yesterday.

http://store.apple.com/us

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Tue May 11, 2010 3:24 pm

The MBP did not receive updates yesterday nor was there a MBA price drop.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm

burvowski wrote:

I can see your grasp of sarcasm and your ability to stay relevant sending you far in your life.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 pm

No being mean in here, this is the compter thread! Computer nice happy joy joy

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 3:55 pm

burvowski wrote:The MBP includes a free ipod touch, though, so it would be fair to knock down $200 off the MBP price.

When they run this deal, can you just take equivalent money off the laptop? I already have an iPhone.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm

kalvano wrote:
burvowski wrote:The MBP includes a free ipod touch, though, so it would be fair to knock down $200 off the MBP price.

When they run this deal, can you just take equivalent money off the laptop? I already have an iPhone.

No. The deal usually goes between the beginning of June and Sept 15th if I remember correctly and the free iPod Touch is through a rebate.

I did this last year and sold the iPod Touch on Craigslist at a slightly discounted but still pretty good price since it was unopened.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 pm

So far then, the Lenovo Edge 13" is still winning for me.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Meh. The T410 is a heavy brick at 5.58 pounds. 13.13 x 9.41 x 1.09-1.26” dimensions means it's a quarter of an inch thicker than the MBP 13. I don't know about you, but for law school, thick and heavy are just flat out inconvenient and defeat the purpose of getting a notebook for mobility purposes. Plus the MBP 13 gets almost twice the battery life. That means I can just leave the charger at home.

Also it's pointless to rave about an i5 unless you're actually going to use its raw processing power to the fullest. I don't plan to. There are others here who may, in which case the Envy 14 may be preferred.

If I want to game, I have a desktop at home.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Lenovo has a checkout coupon code that will give you about $50 many of these models. So the T410 i5 2.53, 500/7200 is only $973. They also offer a free 9-cell battery upgrade on that one. Tempting.

They also just launched a "green" L412/Integrated graphics model can be had with i5 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 HDD for $984, or less for a more basic version.

The L series seems to be $40 more than the Edge model with the same specs. Looks more like the standard notebooks.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Matthies wrote:No being mean in here, this is the compter thread! Computer nice happy joy joy

My thoughts exactly. As I said a few pages back, each to his own! It's one thing if this is the very first notebook purchase evar and we're talking out of our asses. But it sounds to me like each of us has owned a few if not several in our time. I think the one person who's informed enough to make the best decision for what we want and need is our ourself. My Macbook Pro is my 3rd after my Dell Vostro 1500 and my Asus G50VT-X5. I've had mixed experiences with the first 2. At least with the MBP 13, I can go somewhere when crap goes south.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
forza wrote::shock: at this deal: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+ThinkPad+Edge+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Midnight+Black/9846226.p?id=1218183109339&skuId=9846226

I will probably be buying this laptop in the next week.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Intel Core i3 Processor (2.13 GHz)
4 GB RAM
14" display (at 1366x768 res)
500 GB harddrive (5400rpm)
Built in webcam/mic
Windows 7 Pro

Only $679.99! :shock:

This is everything I need at almost half the price of a Mac. I can even splurge on an extensive 3-year accident/protection plan and still be well under cost.

Compared to what Lenovo's charging for 250gb and 2gb of RAM on their home site, that's a great deal.

But remember: You get what you pay for. If you want to save money, all power to you. But remember...Lenovo is a Chinese company. The Chinese have shown an incredible knack for taking ailing companies and turning them around. One of their greatest strengths is cost-cutting. Lenovo's successes in acquiring IBM's Thinkpad division, turning it from a money-bleeding business division into one that's been turning consecutive quarters of profit, and maintaining the quality of their notebooks is a testament to their business prowess. But as with new business philosophies emerge new products. The Thinkpad Edge looks to me as a reflection of Lenovo's cost-cutting moves. On the outside, IBM's reputation for build construction is preserved though by how much is debatable. But you miss out on the rollcage and the structural rigidity levels you see on the T410. The rollcage is the one element that puts the T410 on par with the Macbook Pro in the battle for build construction superiority.

The Macbook Pro seems expensive at $1,000 give or take a few--until you meet the T410i. That's when you find out there's a reason some notebooks are priced higher than others. Not all notebooks are made equally. You get what you pay for.

So your argument is that you distrust the brand because it's a Chinese company now? Frankly, US manufacturers of notebooks suck now in terms of quality. I'd say Taiwanese is the best. While I generally distrust Chinese business practices, I don't trust US manufactured goods any more. Besides, I had an IBM thinkpad from a few years ago and I had to utilize my warranty a lot, I'll say that much. Structural rigidity is nice, but rollcage? Seriously? I wasn't aware you were buying a performance vehicle. You really think it's justified to spend an extra several hundred dollars for a more solid casing?

Ummm....woosh?

You missed my main point which was stated once in the beginning of my post and again at the end. I would venture to say at least 80% of all electronics I've bought in the past 10 years were and are made in China. I take pride in buying only premium-quality electronics, so as you can see, the product's factory's origin has little meaning to me.

Please reread: IBM until they sold their Thinkpad division didn't resort to selling low-budget versions of their notebooks. Lenovo preserved most of IBM's playbook but added in a few that included joining the sub-$1,000 notebook segment and of course, making netbooks. This practice would've been unheard of during IBM's time.

Now I'm not knocking Lenovo for jumping on the budget bandwagon; it would've been foolish of them to not do so. My point is that if you want the premium quality that's associated with Lenovo's higher end models, don't expect to see it in the Edge. It's like taking a Lexus chassis/exterior and wrapping it around powertrain and other parts designed for a 1984 Hyundai. You won't get the same quality.

That's why I claimed before and claim again now: If you want quality, don't cheap out. Pay the extra premium for a T410. I don't give a rat's ass where a product is made or who made it as long as the reputation for reliability is there. Lenovo has maintained IBM's reputation for reliability to date and has even tossed in their knack for efficiency. But the Edge IMO is a sign of Lenovo branching out to budget markets. They've extended their reach into the mainstream budget onsumer market rather than focusing mostly on business-line notebooks as IBM did. IBM never cared about aesthetics; their machines were notorious for being ugly yet built like Buicks. Now we're seeing Lenovo taking a shift away from that trend while upholding quality in the $1,000+ segment.

Seriously. If not a Macbook Pro 13, just get the T410i if you don't mind the weight and thickness. It's a great notebook. Built like an AK-47. Toss a 3-year warranty and you're golden. It's not for me as I'm happy with my MBP 13, but definitely for many others.
Last edited by zeth006 on Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Let's just agree on one thing: Dells always turn into coasters faster than you'd like them to

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

BarCliff wrote:Let's just agree on one thing: Dells always turn into coasters faster than you'd like them to

Debatable, though my Vostro 1500's GPU and screen DID crap out within 2 years!

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue May 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Dells always seem to last a long time for me. I have to format a few times but I've had my Inspiron1505 Core2Duo 2.0Ghz for 4 years now and it's running smoothly. Battery is shot to hell though.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

BTW Microsoft has an "ultimate steal" offer going on for students with a .edu email address. You can get MS Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for $60... it comes with a free upgrade to 2010 professional too. http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

I think they will probably offer the full/ultimate 2010 version once it ships for the same price too, but I am not sure. The deal also expires in December 2011 so I think it's going to be around for a while.

Oh and if anyone wants to buy Windows 7, it's $65 for the professional edition.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

dalancas wrote:BTW Microsoft has an "ultimate steal" offer going on for students with a .edu email address. You can get MS Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for $60... it comes with a free upgrade to 2010 professional too. http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

I think they will probably offer the full/ultimate 2010 version once it ships for the same price too, but I am not sure. The deal also expires in December 2011 so I think it's going to be around for a while.

Oh and if anyone wants to buy Windows 7, it's $65 for the professional edition.

It's for an upgrade. Best just crack it free. :x

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue May 11, 2010 5:46 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Dells always seem to last a long time for me. I have to format a few times but I've had my Inspiron1505 Core2Duo 2.0Ghz for 4 years now and it's running smoothly. Battery is shot to hell though.

I've always had good luck with Dells as well. Thing with Dells I learned early on was not to get their extended warranty cause 99% of the stuff I could fix/trouble shoot myself in less time than it would take me to figure out what the guy in India was telling me to do.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Aslo for the last two days I have been toying around with getting one of these http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SG41J1_PLUS.html and craming a Core 2 Quad in it just see what mayhem I can make with a shoe box sized computer. Trouble is I got nothing left to computerize :( Oh! maybe I could do some home automation, lights on timesrs and mood lighting stuff. Don't really need a quad for that though.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 pm

zeth006 wrote:Meh. The T410 is a heavy brick at 5.58 pounds. 13.13 x 9.41 x 1.09-1.26” dimensions means it's a quarter of an inch thicker than the MBP 13. I don't know about you, but for law school, thick and heavy are just flat out inconvenient and defeat the purpose of getting a notebook for mobility purposes. Plus the MBP 13 gets almost twice the battery life. That means I can just leave the charger at home.

Also it's pointless to rave about an i5 unless you're actually going to use its raw processing power to the fullest. I don't plan to. There are others here who may, in which case the Envy 14 may be preferred.

If I want to game, I have a desktop at home.

Hyperbole much? Do we really think that a pound and a quarter of an inch will make a laptop immobile? BTW, T410 starts at 5.0 pounds. My goal: exercise enough to lose one pound so that I can buy the T410 with dramatically better hardware at a much lower price. I suspect that i5s will be the norm at best in three years.

If weight and word processing are all that matters, there are probably better options than both MBP and Thinkpad.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm

So Am I fucked by having a mac for law school? I mean is onenote the end all be all for LS students???

Is there anything else that will sufficient for note taking? I have Windows vista ultimate that I was going to bootcamp and only use when exam time rolled around? Is that cool or will I need to use windows more than that? Is vista ultimate ok with a macbook?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Matthies wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Dells always seem to last a long time for me. I have to format a few times but I've had my Inspiron1505 Core2Duo 2.0Ghz for 4 years now and it's running smoothly. Battery is shot to hell though.

I've always had good luck with Dells as well. Thing with Dells I learned early on was not to get their extended warranty cause 99% of the stuff I could fix/trouble shoot myself in less time than it would take me to figure out what the guy in India was telling me to do.

Worst thing ever? Knowing the problem your Dell has, and trying to convince some dude working for three cups of a rice a day do send you a replacement part. They will not deviate from the script.

3 Stripes

Postby 3 Stripes » Tue May 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Is a 1GB RAM enough for 3 years of law school?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”