Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm

kalvano wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:Your Edge isn't cheap, isn't light, isn't thin, isn't fast, isn't powerful, and isn't built nearly as well as a real Thinkpad. Brag away.

I never claimed it was. It's pretty much a slightly above-average-spec computer with above-average build quality.

I just said it was better than a Dell. Of course, a Fisher-Price My First Laptop is better than a Dell.

Don't you dare compare my Fisher-Price XL4000 to a DELL.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
kalvano wrote:The 14" Edge has an HDMI out.

I can see that it has the HDMI output, but can it do more than just clone the desktop on an external monitor? I want to be able to extend and in affect, have two distinct desktops.

OK, I know nothing about dual-monitor setups, but I plugged my laptop into my TV (via the HDMI) and these are the available options -

If you need something different, let me know.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Thank you all for taking up this issue. I am very appreciative of your individual and collective insight.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Got my thinkpad today! Runs lightning quick and I really like the keyboard... it's definitely not the prettiest computer on the market though. I may need to buy a skin or something.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm

hey guys, first-time poster in the thread and i have to admit that i don't really know a lot about computers (esp. the technical stuff) so here are the specs on the laptops i was looking at. the price difference between option 1 and option 2 would be greater than $200 when you factor in taxes and extended warranty fees.

any advice from you guys would be great. im mainly looking for something that would be quick, can handle multiple programs at once, and i can run basic word processing programs with ease. im not a gamer and i won't be using the computer for anything other than school really.

OPTION #1
Intel® Core™ i5-430M processor
Features 2.26GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD Graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
14" LED high-definition widescreen display
With BrightView technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies, games and other images.
500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
For fast read/write times. HP ProtectSmart hard drive protection for peace of mind.
Built-in fingerprint reader
Protects sensitive information.
Intel® HD graphics
Feature up to 1696MB total available memory for intense detail. Dolby Digital Advanced Audio with Altec Lansing speakers. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
Built-in HP TrueVision webcam and digital microphone
Make it easy to video chat with family and friends.
5-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities. One eSATA/USB combo port.
Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs only 4.4 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For lightweight portability.
Long battery life
Of up to 6 hours and 30 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.

OPTION #2
AMD Turion™ II dual-core mobile processor P520*
Features 2 processing cores, 2MB L2 cache and 2.3GHz processor speed.
4GB DDR3 DIMM memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media.
14.5" LED high-definition display
With BrightView technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
320GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
For fast read/write times.
ProtectSmart accelerometer
Senses if the laptop is being dropped and automatically locks the hard drive to prevent damage.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics
Feature up to 2045MB total video memory for lush images. Dolby Advanced Audio with Altec Lansing speakers. HDMI output for connecting high-definition devices.
Built-in TrueVision webcam with digital microphone
Makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends.
5-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer. One eSATA/USB combo port.
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet on the go.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs 5.2 lbs. and measures just 1.4" thin
For easy portability.
Long battery life
Of up to 5 hours to give you more time away from an outlet.
HP Imprint finish
Features a decorative link design.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable computing platform.
Software package included
With Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, HP MediaSmart, Roxio CinemaNow and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 also included.
ENERGY STAR qualified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Got my thinkpad today! Runs lightning quick and I really like the keyboard... it's definitely not the prettiest computer on the market though. I may need to buy a skin or something.

It's a laptop - not a corvette :|

Besides, just remember this: Everybody knows a macbook fetches decent prices on the resale market so theft is very well rewarded. Not as many know about Thinkpads and *might* not even think about stabbing you for your laptop walking out of the coffee shop. Just saying.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:I think it's hilarious some posters here are throwing such hissy fits about brands, when nearly all laptops are made by the same three or four Asian ODMs (Quanta, Compal, Wistron, etc). Even the fancy Macbook Pros are made by Quanta, who also makes Dells, Sonys, Lenovos, and about a third of the laptop's in the world. The only major brand that manufactures their own laptops is Asus.

And Chevy makes both the Cobalt and the Corvette. Just because the same company makes them, or even the same factory, doesn't mean they use the same quality control or components. Especially when you are talking about custom motherboards. They aren't putting the same motherboard in two different brand laptops. They are custom designed by those companies and assembled in the plant.

Not really my point. We're not comparing Cobalts with Corvettes. More like regular Cobalts and Cobalts with slightly shinier paint. Some posters are acting like every Dell is going to explode after a month, while bragging about their fake "Thinkpads", when they both bought budget laptops. Most people who buy Dells are pretty satisfied with them, and most will last 2-3 years without any major issues, just like any other modern budget laptop.

It's just kind of a poor analogy. Car factories need to be differently tooled to produce Corvettes and Cobalts. The same assembly line can put together computers whose only similarity is the basic Von Neumann architecture (if that.) The same kitchen (factory) can turn out slop or a gourmet meal, depending on the recipe (design) and food quality (parts and QA) and skill (training level of the assembly workers as required by the client.) It's not directly comparable to a production line that is physically only capable of producing a certain car platform with one or two different configurations.

This logic basically reduces to "all computers are the same because workers assemble them on very similar production lines." Not so.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Duralex wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:I think it's hilarious some posters here are throwing such hissy fits about brands, when nearly all laptops are made by the same three or four Asian ODMs (Quanta, Compal, Wistron, etc). Even the fancy Macbook Pros are made by Quanta, who also makes Dells, Sonys, Lenovos, and about a third of the laptop's in the world. The only major brand that manufactures their own laptops is Asus.

And Chevy makes both the Cobalt and the Corvette. Just because the same company makes them, or even the same factory, doesn't mean they use the same quality control or components. Especially when you are talking about custom motherboards. They aren't putting the same motherboard in two different brand laptops. They are custom designed by those companies and assembled in the plant.

Not really my point. We're not comparing Cobalts with Corvettes. More like regular Cobalts and Cobalts with slightly shinier paint. Some posters are acting like every Dell is going to explode after a month, while bragging about their fake "Thinkpads", when they both bought budget laptops. Most people who buy Dells are pretty satisfied with them, and most will last 2-3 years without any major issues, just like any other modern budget laptop.

It's just kind of a poor analogy. Car factories need to be differently tooled to produce Corvettes and Cobalts. The same assembly line can put together computers whose only similarity is the basic Von Neumann architecture (if that.) The same kitchen can turn out slop or a gourmet meal, depending on the recipe and food quality.

Their build quality is the sum of material budget they are given. Being that Corvettes cost upwards from 2x as much as a Cobalt, the difference can be felt in the suspension, engine, etc.

Fun fact: The LS6, LS7, and LS9 are the "premium engines" and are hand built. The LS6 is out of date, but the LS7 and LS9 are used in the Corvette Z06 and Corvette ZR-1, respectively. The quality assurance on these engines are next to none outside of VW's upper division(read: Bugatti) and are derived from the racetrack. That's right, when you buy a Corvette Z06 or above - you're buying a race car with street tires.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Cool stuff. I don't know much about 'Vettes--mostly, I know I like the old ones with the rearview on the top of the dash. Those are gorgeous.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:52 pm

I've met some of the people that work in the Corvette factory. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, despite Chevy's marketing, comparing the quality control for a Vette engine to anything even remotely associated with Bugatti is like saying Dell builds a decent computer.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm

kalvano wrote:I've met some of the people that work in the Corvette factory. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, despite Chevy's marketing, comparing the quality control for a Vette engine to anything even remotely associated with Bugatti is like saying Dell builds a decent computer.

I'd agree with you if it was a regular corvette engine(LS2, LS3). The engines I'm talking about(LS7,LS9) are the variants put into their ~65k and ~100k MSRP variants. Not saying that it's a better engine because they're put into more expensive variants of the same car.

I'm saying that their QA on those engines is "next to none outside of VW's upper divison..." Which puts them on par with Porsche, Ferarri, Mercedes AMG, etc. with engine construction.. but I'd be inclined to say that any engine that powers the Bat Mobile is definitely better than a Bugatti's power plant. :lol:

At any rate, you can't get any better with quality assurance once you start independently hand building engines, at least in my opinion. That's why it's so important that race cars get their engines blueprinted if it's not a hand-built engine.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:21 pm

You do understand it's Cletus over in Kentucky putting the engines together in between bits of chaw, right?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 pm

kalvano wrote:You do understand it's Cletus over in Kentucky putting the engines together in between bits of chaw, right?

Alright now that's news to me. I still thought it was dingus in NJ.

I withdraw my argument.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:32 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:You do understand it's Cletus over in Kentucky putting the engines together in between bits of chaw, right?

I withdraw my argument.

Actually, I was wrong. They are built in Michigan. So insert whatever Michigan stereotype makes me right in principle. But now that I think about it, I remember the engine factory from a Discovery channel special a couple years ago. It's some guy who looks like Cletus in a big open factory floor putting it together by hand. So I think the Bugatti comparisons are still a little off.

Also, for $5800, you will be flown to the plant and assist in building the engine in the car, starting in 2011.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

I withdraw my argument.

Actually, I was wrong. They are built in Michigan. So insert whatever Michigan stereotype makes me right in principle. But now that I think about it, I remember the engine factory from a Discovery channel special a couple years ago. It's some guy who looks like Cletus in a big open factory floor putting it together by hand. So I think the Bugatti comparisons are still a little off.

Also, for $5800, you will be flown to the plant and assist in building the engine in the car, starting in 2011.

Not a * bad* deal considering the LS9 starts off around 24 grand for just the engine. The LS7 starts around 18k IIRC.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:40 pm

I'd still rather have a GT-R.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm

kalvano wrote:I'd still rather have a GT-R.

Fun Fact: For the price of a Porsche 911 Turbo, you can buy yourself a GT-R + Base 911.

That said, if I had to buy a 70k car this year it'd be a Dodge Viper. Why? I'd like to think I have the skills to drive a car without the car adjusting crap for me.. that, and my Evolution went through transfer cases like candy.. very expensive rebuilt. I just said fuck it and got a 30-70 LSD vs the 50-50.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm

I bet none of these cars use anything from Dell in them.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Nope - but I have used a Thinkpad to map my car's engine management!

Can't imagine a Dell in a rally lol

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm

My '98 ZJ (Jeep GC) w/its 5.9l v8 (LA series Magnum 360) is just about done chewing through the 46RE in it (despite me driving it as little as possible--still under 100k) so I feel your pain.

(No Dell in there either.)

I picked up one of those Bluetooth OBDII modules a little while ago. It kinda works.
Last edited by Duralex on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Duralex wrote:My '98 ZJ (Jeep GC) w/its 5.9l v8 (LA series Magnum 360) is just about done chewing through the 46RE in it, so I feel your pain.

(No Dell in there either.)

I had a '97 4.0 - Holy shit those I6 AMC blocks can take it like no tomorrow! The [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.].. well - I had to get it rebuilt twice within 5 years of ownership. I need to get wise on rebuilding automatics. Manuals are usually no prob though with a kit.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I had a (1992? 1994?) Cherokee Ltd with the I6 4L HO. Amazing engine. Kinda wished we had kept the car, we didn't get all that much for it and it was such a trooper, but you can't hold on to everything and I was living in another state.

I think I left the "POWER" switch on all the time, LOL. With less weight than a GC it actually kinda hauled ass.

Also, I kind of miss the controllability of SelecTrac. (Although I don't miss trying to nudge the car between full and part time 4WD. And the handling was questionable in RWD.)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Duralex wrote:I had a (1992? 1994?) Cherokee Ltd with the I6 4L HO. Amazing engine. Kinda wished we had kept the car, we didn't get all that much for it and it was such a trooper, but you can't hold on to everything and I was living in another state.

I think I left the "POWER" switch on all the time, LOL. With less weight than a GC it actually kinda hauled ass.

Also, I kind of miss the controllability of SelecTrac. (Although I don't miss trying to nudge the car between full and part time 4WD. And the handling was questionable in RWD.)

The handling was okay on my RWD. If not racing, I prefer RWD of everything else. It just feels better to get pushed around rather than pulled around(AWD cars pull, 4WD cars like jeeps push; depends on whether it's a longitudinal or transverse for the most part).

I used to be able to gun the bastard all day every day with no problems to the engine.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I used to be able to gun the bastard all day every day with no problems to the engine.

That's the truth. I flogged it mercilessly and it never complained. I used to drive it way past the end of the spedo....till the needle was pointing straight down. Heh.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Same here. Take *THAT* aerodynamics!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”