Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burvowski

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 am

Extending a screen instead of mirroring is easy as hell in Windows 7. Just hit the Windows key + P until you see the option you like. There's nothing fancy to do or any fancy adapters you have to buy to extend it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:46 am

Sogui wrote:I'd just like to take a moment and throw some Dell love in here

Quoted for posterity. Let's revisit this after you've had the computer for 6 months.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 am

burvowski wrote:Extending a screen instead of mirroring is easy as hell in Windows 7. Just hit the Windows key + P until you see the option you like. There's nothing fancy to do or any fancy adapters you have to buy to extend it.

This is dependent on the video card but it has been pretty standard for the last 5 years or so and available since Windows XP (and OSX Tiger).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 am

kalvano wrote:

Quoted for posterity. Let's revisit this after you've had the computer for 6 months.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 am

burvowski wrote:Extending a screen instead of mirroring is easy as hell in Windows 7. Just hit the Windows key + P until you see the option you like. There's nothing fancy to do or any fancy adapters you have to buy to extend it.

Fn + Ctrl also does the trick on my Lenovo.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 am

blowhard wrote:

This is dependent on the video card but it has been pretty standard for the last 5 years or so and available since Windows XP (and OSX Tiger).

Exactly my concern. I talked to Dell customer service last week and they said their machines running Intel HD Graphics weren't able to extend in virtue of the integrated card. So I wanted to double check on the Edge 14 before pulling the trigger.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 am

RMstratosphere wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Exactly my concern. I talked to Dell customer service last week and they said their machines running Intel HD Graphics weren't able to extend in virtue of the integrated card. So I wanted to double check on the Edge 14 before pulling the trigger.

I think they may be wrong... I have previously used multiple intel HD chipsets to extend or mirror a display. If you couldn't do it, why would intel support a monitor out at all?

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/why_ports?c=us&l=en

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 am

blowhard wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I think they may be wrong... I have previously used multiple intel HD chipsets to extend or mirror a display. If you couldn't do it, why would intel support a monitor out at all?

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/why_ports?c=us&l=en

Face palm... calling again.

The model I'm specifically looking at is on sale for $499:

Dell Insipiron 14R
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
New 2010 Intel® Core™ i3-350M 2.26Gh (4 Threads, 3M Cache)
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3
320GB 5400rpm
Intel® HD Graphics
Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell) – Up to 5 hours, 15 minutes of battery life*
14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
High Definition Audio 2.0, Support SRS™ Premium Sound
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) - w/ Roxio Burn 1.0
Dell Wireless DW1501, 802.11 g/n 1x1 Half Mini Card
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 am

RMstratosphere wrote:

Dell Insipiron 14R
320GB 5400rpm
Intel® HD Graphics

Most of their HD are based off their GMA 950 chipset which intel specifically says supports it:
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

Edit: That laptop uses the GM965 chipset which has conflicting guidance on whether or not it can do it. The hardware is capable as intel officially supports dual-head on that chip in linux but it appears the windows drivers may have issues. That laptop gets pretty shitty reviews btw...you may want to do some research.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:25 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I have my netbook extend to an external monitor just fine so I think you'll be allright.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:27 pm

burvowski wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I have my netbook extend to an external monitor just fine so I think you'll be allright.

No he won't. I'd call or let Kalvano answer since he's confirmed owning an Edge.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:36 pm

blowhard wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

Dell Insipiron 14R
320GB 5400rpm
Intel® HD Graphics

Most of their HD are based off their GMA 950 chipset which intel specifically says supports it:
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

Edit: That laptop uses the GM965 chipset which has conflicting guidance on whether or not it can do it. The hardware is capable as intel officially supports dual-head on that chip in linux but it appears the windows drivers may have issues. That laptop gets pretty shitty reviews btw...you may want to do some research.

Link to said shitty reviews? I'm getting a 15R but it's pretty much the same deal. The only place I've been able to find Dell reviews is on BestBuy/Dell.com and both have been at least rated 4/5 among the 100+ customer reviews between the two sites.
Last edited by Sogui on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm

What do you want me to do?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm

kalvano wrote:What do you want me to do?

You have an edge - maybe you can elaborate if the desktop would extend onto another monitor vs. just cloning it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:01 pm

You mean if I plug my TV into my laptop, does the TV become the monitor, or does it become like a second monitor?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 pm

kalvano wrote:You mean if I plug my TV into my laptop, does the TV become the monitor, or does it become like a second monitor?

Does it become a 2nd monitor, is his question.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Not another TV, another monitor, like a desktop monitor.

I plan on doing this myself with a 15R and my desktop monitor since I've found it invaluable to have source material and whatever I'm typing side by side.

From my experience nearly every computer supports this, it would be completely insane for a Dell laptop to have a VGA out but for a cutting edge processor/GPU setup to not support it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Sogui wrote:Not another TV, another monitor, like a desktop monitor.

I plan on doing this myself with a 15R and my desktop monitor since I've found it invaluable to have source material and whatever I'm typing side by side.

From my experience nearly every computer supports this, it would be completely insane for a Dell laptop to have a VGA out but for a cutting edge processor/GPU setup to not support it.

Apparently some cheap video cards don't. I looked up intel's specs. It supports mirroring for a projector, but not an independent display.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm

I think it's hilarious some posters here are throwing such hissy fits about brands, when nearly all laptops are made by the same three or four Asian ODMs (Quanta, Compal, Wistron, etc). Even the fancy Macbook Pros are made by Quanta, who also makes Dells, Sonys, Lenovos, and about a third of the laptop's in the world. The only major brand that manufactures their own laptops is Asus.

kalvano wrote:

:roll: Like your Edge is some kind of miracle machine.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:I think it's hilarious some posters here are throwing such hissy fits about brands, when nearly all laptops are made by the same three or four Asian ODMs (Quanta, Compal, Wistron, etc). Even the fancy Macbook Pros are made by Quanta, who also makes Dells, Sonys, Lenovos, and about a third of the laptop's in the world. The only major brand that manufactures their own laptops is Asus.

kalvano wrote:

:roll: Like your Edge is some kind of miracle machine.

Totally is when you compare it to the parts bin that's a DELL.

And, your hinges are coming loose, btw.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:I think it's hilarious some posters here are throwing such hissy fits about brands, when nearly all laptops are made by the same three or four Asian ODMs (Quanta, Compal, Wistron, etc). Even the fancy Macbook Pros are made by Quanta, who also makes Dells, Sonys, Lenovos, and about a third of the laptop's in the world. The only major brand that manufactures their own laptops is Asus.

And Chevy makes both the Cobalt and the Corvette. Just because the same company makes them, or even the same factory, doesn't mean they use the same quality control or components. Especially when you are talking about custom motherboards. They aren't putting the same motherboard in two different brand laptops. They are custom designed by those companies and assembled in the plant.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

I'll check the monitor thing this afternoon and report back.

hoopsguy6 wrote: :roll: Like your Edge is some kind of miracle machine.

Still better than a Dell.

WHAT YOU GOT NOW BIATCH?!!?

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:50 pm

blowhard wrote:

And Chevy makes both the Cobalt and the Corvette. Just because the same company makes them, or even the same factory, doesn't mean they use the same quality control or components. Especially when you are talking about custom motherboards. They aren't putting the same motherboard in two different brand laptops. They are custom designed by those companies and assembled in the plant.

Not really my point. We're not comparing Cobalts with Corvettes. More like regular Cobalts and Cobalts with slightly shinier paint. Some posters are acting like every Dell is going to explode after a month, while bragging about their fake "Thinkpads", when they both bought budget laptops. Most people who buy Dells are pretty satisfied with them, and most will last 2-3 years without any major issues, just like any other modern budget laptop.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:I'll check the monitor thing this afternoon and report back.

hoopsguy6 wrote: :roll: Like your Edge is some kind of miracle machine.

Still better than a Dell.

WHAT YOU GOT NOW BIATCH?!!?

FYI, I don't have a Dell. I just think you're ridiculous.

Your Edge isn't cheap, isn't light, isn't thin, isn't fast, isn't powerful, and isn't built nearly as well as a real Thinkpad. Brag away.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:57 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:Your Edge isn't cheap, isn't light, isn't thin, isn't fast, isn't powerful, and isn't built nearly as well as a real Thinkpad. Brag away.

I never claimed it was. It's pretty much a slightly above-average-spec computer with above-average build quality.

I just said it was better than a Dell. Of course, a Fisher-Price My First Laptop is better than a Dell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”