Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 am

I'm fearful to post this because I don't want to spring another mac v. p.c. debate, but was just wondering if a macbook air would be advisable for in-class notetaking. I have an HP that is a few years old that I would use for reasearch at home. Eitherway, I save everything to a jump drive that I backup weekly, so I don't *think* memory is an issue. I just want something ultraportable since I may be commuting by train (then walking/cabing it) depending on which school choose to attend.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:23 am

angiej wrote:I'm fearful to post this because I don't want to spring another mac v. p.c. debate, but was just wondering if a macbook air would be advisable for in-class notetaking. I have an HP that is a few years old that I would use for reasearch at home. Eitherway, I save everything to a jump drive that I backup weekly, so I don't *think* memory is an issue. I just want something ultraportable since I may be commuting by train (then walking/cabing it) depending on which school choose to attend.

Mac Airs are pretty sweet but they are pricey for the proc/memory you are getting. It runs full OSX with a decent size screen so I don't know that you'd lose anything note-taking wise. If you want even better battery/performance get one with a SSD.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:38 am

Concur. Especially nice if you can afford to buy it but don't intend to use it for everything. I always feel compelled to spend more practically, but I doubt you'll be disappointed as long as it isn't too big of a blow to your bottom line. I'll be doing the same routine, but with a somewhat less portable blackbook.

angiej

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the input and advice. I ruled them out last year when they were around $2,000 but their lower-model is now $1,499 ($1,399 with student discount) plus right now I'd get an ipod touch with it. I googled and found an article that a new version (at a lower price point) will be released in September. This is exciting news, and I'm planning to rid it out until closer to law school so its nice and new when I want to use it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am

I'd buy a Mac Air without hesitation if I had wanted to spend that much money on a computer. It's an awesome piece of engineering.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 am

angiej wrote:Thanks for the input and advice. I ruled them out last year when they were around $2,000 but their lower-model is now $1,499 ($1,399 with student discount) plus right now I'd get an ipod touch with it. I googled and found an article that a new version (at a lower price point) will be released in September. This is exciting news, and I'm planning to rid it out until closer to law school so its nice and new when I want to use it.

You may consider buying one used on ebay. There are some good deals on there from people who bought them and then realized it didn't suit their needs...

angiej

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 am

blowhard wrote:
angiej wrote:Thanks for the input and advice. I ruled them out last year when they were around $2,000 but their lower-model is now $1,499 ($1,399 with student discount) plus right now I'd get an ipod touch with it. I googled and found an article that a new version (at a lower price point) will be released in September. This is exciting news, and I'm planning to rid it out until closer to law school so its nice and new when I want to use it.

You may consider buying one used on ebay. There are some good deals on there from people who bought them and then realized it didn't suit their needs...

Is there any guarantee as far as quality with this? I know mac's are supposed to be sturdy but I'm not very techie so I don't want to have to pay the difference in repairs.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 am

angiej wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Is there any guarantee as far as quality with this? I know mac's are supposed to be sturdy but I'm not very techie so I don't want to have to pay the difference in repairs.

It depends on the seller. Check whether they give a guarantee or not. Check their feedback. Check their previous listings...if they sell a ton of laptops they probably fix them versus a random person who no longer needed one. Ask if any warranty remains from Apple. If it is still under warranty, you could always have it fixed if it didn't work...you can also extend the warranty with AppleCare up until the day the original warranty expires.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 pm

lol... check out http://www.lenovoorders.com which is the place you're supposed to check the status of your ThinkPad order.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:lol... check out http://www.lenovoorders.com which is the place you're supposed to check the status of your ThinkPad order.

What about it?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

blurbz wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:lol... check out http://www.lenovoorders.com which is the place you're supposed to check the status of your ThinkPad order.

What about it?

:| It works for you? I get the GoDaddy website saying it needs to be renewed for deleted. I just wanna check my order status... :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Works fine for me.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:Works fine for me.

I get the GoDaddy page. There must be something up with the DNS entry changing over. Surprised they use GoDaddy though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:48 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
blurbz wrote:

What about it?

:| It works for you? I get the GoDaddy website saying it needs to be renewed for deleted. I just wanna check my order status... :(

It works for me. When are you going to man up and call them and politely let them know you're tired of their shit and they better get their act together right the fuck now?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:12 pm

kalvano wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
blurbz wrote:

What about it?

It works for me. When are you going to man up and call them and politely let them know you're tired of their shit and they better get their act together right the fuck now?

They sent it out the morning after my e-mail.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
kalvano wrote:It works for me. When are you going to man up and call them and politely let them know you're tired of their shit and they better get their act together right the fuck now?

They sent it out the morning after my e-mail.

So about 3 days ago then? Good for you.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Posting from the $750 UL-80 that BestBuy sells right now. Find here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Lapt ... Id=9964891

I'm overall pretty happy with it. I like 14 inch screen and I like the keyboard. The metal surfaces pick up finger prints very easily so that gets a little ugly, but overall it has nice styling. I've compared it pretty significantly against my friend's Thinkpad T-410 and have the following to say -

-His matte screen is, overall, probably nicer. But I like my glossy screen too. It's pretty glossy, though, if you don't like that.
-His cost a hell of a lot more
-His construction feels a little more solid, but I haven't had any problem with mine.
-His weighs more
-I like my touchpad and buttons more
-Mine seems a little cooler
-His processor, an i7, is much zippier than my low-speed low voltage i3. But I don't really mind - it seems fast enough for what I'm planning on doing.

I was also considering getting the Toshiba Portege for like $50 more. It's lighter, but has a 13 inch screen. It also has the faster version of the i3 processor, but I think has worse battery life than my ASUS. Oh, the ASUS also has some interesting pre-installed features to boost battery life that are nice.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm considering getting the Thinkpad Edge 14 ($620.10):

Intel Core i3-370M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)1
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 6412
14.0" HD Vibrant View, Midnight Black Glossy
Integrated Mobile Intel 5 Series GFX Chipsets
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
UltraNav without fingerprint reader
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer5
6 cell 2.2Ah Li-Ion Battery60
None
ThinkPad bgn Wireless10
No WWAN support65
0578: 1Year Depot Warranty7

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo-th ... 19810.aspx

My main question is whether or not I can extend the desktop onto an HDTV to have two monitors running? Otherwise, any objections?

Thanks all.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 pm

The 14" Edge has an HDMI out.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:04 am

Just to warn, the Edge does not handle HD material well (obviously, it has no dedicated video card). It hiccups on some of my HD movies.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 am

beach_terror wrote:Just to warn, the Edge does not handle HD material well (obviously, it has no dedicated video card). It hiccups on some of my HD movies.

I got an Acer 1830t that handles HD stuff like a champ. It might be worth considering, depending on your needs, over the Thinkpad

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 am

kalvano wrote:The 14" Edge has an HDMI out.

I can see that it has the HDMI output, but can it do more than just clone the desktop on an external monitor? I want to be able to extend and in affect, have two distinct desktops.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 am

RMstratosphere wrote:

I can see that it has the HDMI output, but can it do more than just clone the desktop on an external monitor? I want to be able to extend and in affect, have two distinct desktops.

I *believe* you can extend... HDMI is the equiv. to DVI.. they just add the sound channels to HDMI. Therefore, you can buy the HDMI->DVI adapters on the cheap. I'd call Lenovo to find out about that specific capability though.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 am

ResolutePear wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

I *believe* you can extend... HDMI is the equiv. to DVI.. they just add the sound channels to HDMI. Therefore, you can buy the HDMI->DVI adapters on the cheap. I'd call Lenovo to find out about that specific capability though.

Thank you very much.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:01 am

I'd just like to take a moment and throw some Dell love in here

If anyone remembers I went for a new Inspiron with an i3, 4gb ram, 15.6" screen, etc... with office for $540.

Don't have the laptop yet, but I forgot that Dell actually has to assemble the laptop so I was surprised when the ship date was set for the 16th after ordering last week. I gave them a call to see if anything on the time table could be pushed up since I needed to leave on the 13th and would at least need the shipping address changed if I couldn't get it in time.

The woman on the phone said she'd see what she could do and that she'd call me back on Monday. Got the call shortly after noon and I was informed that I had been approved for both expedited processing and shipping at no extra charge, my laptop was assembled and would be sent out on August 10th via next-day business and I could expect it on the 11th.

I'm impressed

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”