Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A study done by a company that warranties computers showed Dells failure rate to be about median. Only slightly worse than Apple.

Apple shipped out millions of faulty IPhones, it happens to all tech companies.

They aren't really faulty though...mine works fine. Having to put it in a case (which most users do anyhow) is way different. I can't find it now but I read an article saying that study was flawed because they only counted systems fixed under warranty and most businesses simply upgraded to newer models and trashed the old ones. They purported that it was almost impossible to quantify their failure rate due to under-reporting and them fixing systems with a second faulty motherboard.

Edit: Their failure rate on these Optiplex's was 97% and these were sold to businesses. If the average consumer had them, you'd never even hear about these failures as most happened after 2-3 years.

Also, Dell has an internal policy of discount-upgrading broken business PCs instead of fixing them. Even when my mom's business system went down under warranty they offered her a significant discount if she would just upgrade early...and they let her keep the old system. These practices vastly affect documented failure numbers...

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Just ordered my Dell studio 14; if it works well, fine; if it doesn't it will make a great present for my parents (i'm sure that at its worst it can still handle e-mails and word process) Then, there is always recycling.

el jefe

Postby el jefe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:23 pm

U guys are retarded, I just bought me a Toshiba Pentium dual core for $399. Why? because I am only using it for the internet, taking notes and tests. If you're using your laptop for games then u should probably just buy a console or a desktop. Deuces

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 am

blowhard wrote:
SAE wrote:Let's see.. Because it costs money.

Unless you are totally technology-inept or are planning on playing soccer with your laptop, you probably won't need the extended warranty.

If there is anything wrong with the hardware, chances are pretty good that it will show right away, long before the extended warranty period.

Extended warranties are where they make their money. Only like 3% are ever used. Most hardware failures will show in the first 2 months if not out of the box. While cdroms/power supplies do occasionally die...it usually isn't until the 3-4 year mark at which point you are probably buying a new laptop anyhow. If not, parts are usually cheap by that point and ebay is flooded with parts systems.

Though my analysis is predicated on you being able to replace parts/reinstall software yourself.

Really? 3%? Kind of contrasts with what's said here:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Squa ... y_1109.pdf

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 am

zeth006 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Unless you are totally technology-inept or are planning on playing soccer with your laptop, you probably won't need the extended warranty.

If there is anything wrong with the hardware, chances are pretty good that it will show right away, long before the extended warranty period.

Extended warranties are where they make their money. Only like 3% are ever used. Most hardware failures will show in the first 2 months if not out of the box. While cdroms/power supplies do occasionally die...it usually isn't until the 3-4 year mark at which point you are probably buying a new laptop anyhow. If not, parts are usually cheap by that point and ebay is flooded with parts systems.

Though my analysis is predicated on you being able to replace parts/reinstall software yourself.

How would they determine if a laptop failed? If it broke and I just bought a new one and sold the broken one on ebay, they would never know. Also, that says percent of laptops failing...not what the percent was vs laptops produced. Also, they are more than a little biased. They SELL extended warranties!

Also, their numbers are likely skewed by false breaks. "Breaking" your laptop and then getting it replaced right before the warranty expires has been a known game for a long time. You then have a brand new, factory wrapped laptop which you can sell. I've also heard of people cracking a screen after getting a minor cosmetic scratch so they get a new one.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 am

blowhard wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

(image resized)

How would they determine if a laptop failed? If it broke and I just bought a new one and sold the broken one on ebay, they would never know. Also, that says percent of laptops failing...not what the percent was vs laptops produced. Also, they are more than a little biased. They SELL extended warranties!

Also, their numbers are likely skewed by false breaks. "Breaking" your laptop and then getting it replaced right before the warranty expires has been a known game for a long time. You then have a brand new, factory wrapped laptop which you can sell. I've also heard of people cracking a screen after getting a minor cosmetic scratch so they get a new one.

I'm not so sure you even know what you're talking about. Instead of pulling stuff out of nowhere, try looking at how stuff actually works. (http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/privacypolicy)

To assess whether your laptop's eligible/able to be repaired they give you a shipping label to ship your notebook to them. As for eBay, no, you can't do that. They only cover items from top-rated sellers, i.e. big ones like buy.com and they obtain your notebook's product number and serial number.

Also, that says percent of laptops failing...not what the percent was vs laptops produced.

You're really grasping at straws, aren't you? Just what do you mean laptops produced? What Square Trade does is compile data for notebooks they have on record for three years and sort them out by brand. I'm sure that much should be obvious from the data. Yes, there are probably external factors to consider, such as whether the average SQ warranty buyer is somehow different non-warranty buyers in terms of usage habits. Or whether SQ-covered notebooks are different from non-SQ notebooks from the same brand. We admittedly don't know either. But 3% is KIND of a stretch. I doubt whatever possible distinctions I've mentioned will take away the extra 17%. Care to give me a real study, or are you making this up?

Also, they are more than a little biased. They SELL extended warranties!

Prove it instead of groping around for something to say.

I have to say, unlike all the geeks n' nerds I've talked to who've read this study and have toiled away at their respective Apple Stores, Geek Squad departments, and mom and pop shops, you have a funny way of approaching this study.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:35 am

blowhard wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Squaretrade bases those numbers off a rather large sampling.

Squaretrade isn't some overnight operation - they don't pay accidentals on laptops, nor physical damage and acts of god. They make damn sure it's a legit failure. The numbers are accurate. Get over it.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 am

el jefe wrote:U guys are retarded, I just bought me a Toshiba Pentium dual core for $399. Why? because I am only using it for the internet, taking notes and tests. If you're using your laptop for games then u should probably just buy a console or a desktop. Deuces

Some people want the mobility and/or don't have the space for a desktop. Consoles are just as, if not more expensive than laptops. They're also just as hard to upgrade.

It's not just games. We're moving into the next era of "The Web" within the next few years with the rise in use of HTML5. This means, your websites will become more than standalone applications and especially with videos - HD videos and content will hammer your laptop. Not saying your laptop isn't good - just the opposite, it's a great laptop for the price.. but to call others retarded for wanting more than the basics is retarded in itself - what you're holding is a laptop with a 4 year old processor that's orders of magnitude less powerful than an i3, not to mention i5's and definitely i7's.

Also, some people don't want to be limited to 3 tabs or have to make a choice between having Word *OR* Excel open. How annoying is that?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Fuck Dell.

Can't beat them on the low end.

Unless you get one of their notoriously shitty systems and then have to do without a system while they fix it. http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/06/suit-alleges-that-dell-shipped-12-million-faulty-computers.ars

A study done by a company that warranties computers showed Dells failure rate to be about median. Only slightly worse than Apple.

Apple shipped out millions of faulty IPhones, it happens to all tech companies.

What people don't realize is: companies like apple don't manufacturer their own hardware. For instance, iPhones are made by Foxconn in China and it's been known for ages that Foxconn is very shoddy when it comes to parts. Did you know they also make hardware for Dell, Sony(PS3), Microsoft(Xbox360), and HP as well? Those parts all have more or less than same quality assurance from a place that has double-digit monthly suicide rates.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 am

Jesus Christ. I don't care if the company makes a lot of money on warranties. They're a business, they're supposed to make money.

I buy extended warranties so if something breaks in a couple years, I make a phone call, say "fix it", and a few days later the magical leprechauns have done their work and it's fixed. I don't want to have to mess with buying replacement parts and fixing it myself. Just because I have the ability doesn't mean I have the time or the interest.

I'd rather spend a comparatively little amount of money for the ability to fix it with a phone call. Nothing beats being able to call and say "shits broke. I got a warranty. Make it work again."

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 am

ResolutePear wrote:
el jefe wrote:U guys are retarded, I just bought me a Toshiba Pentium dual core for $399. Why? because I am only using it for the internet, taking notes and tests. If you're using your laptop for games then u should probably just buy a console or a desktop. Deuces

Some people want the mobility and/or don't have the space for a desktop. Consoles are just as, if not more expensive than laptops. They're also just as hard to upgrade.

It's not just games. We're moving into the next era of "The Web" within the next few years with the rise in use of HTML5. This means, your websites will become more than standalone applications and especially with videos - HD videos and content will hammer your laptop. Not saying your laptop isn't good - just the opposite, it's a great laptop for the price.. but to call others retarded for wanting more than the basics is retarded in itself - what you're holding is a laptop with a 4 year old processor that's orders of magnitude less powerful than an i3, not to mention i5's and definitely i7's.

Also, some people don't want to be limited to 3 tabs or have to make a choice between having Word *OR* Excel open. How annoying is that?

I've never dealt with the less powerful dual core processors. How does a core 2 duo at 1.3 ghz hold up with a bunch of windows open?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 am

flyingpanda wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

I've never dealt with the less powerful dual core processors. How does a core 2 duo at 1.3 ghz hold up with a bunch of windows open?

The core 2's are pretty decent. Without getting into specifics, the core 2 is a newer design than the Pentium duo cores. Most likely, your core 2 is a generation behind the newest onces.

Just make sure you get the most out of the processors by running windows 7(and running it up to date) or the latest version of OSX.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:40 am

flyingpanda wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

The UL50VT's SU7300 will hold up fine for moderate multi-tasking and yes, even HD video decoding. One feature you may find interesting is turbo33(33% automatic overclocking). I hear the Nvidia 210M can chug through StarCraft 2 at low settings with no stuttering.

You've got a fine machine. Just note that it's a refurb.

Read more reviews for it here http://www.amazon.com/UL50Vt-A1-Light-1 ... 383&sr=8-1

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:41 am

kalvano wrote:Jesus Christ. I don't care if the company makes a lot of money on warranties. They're a business, they're supposed to make money.

I buy extended warranties so if something breaks in a couple years, I make a phone call, say "fix it", and a few days later the magical leprechauns have done their work and it's fixed. I don't want to have to mess with buying replacement parts and fixing it myself. Just because I have the ability doesn't mean I have the time or the interest.

I'd rather spend a comparatively little amount of money for the ability to fix it with a phone call. Nothing beats being able to call and say "shits broke. I got a warranty. Make it work again."

+1

I'm not generally a fan of the extended warranties, but the above is exactly why I bought one for my law school laptop. The peace of mind for 2-3 years is well worth an extra 15%.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Stupid question - .5 lb difference in weight, any reason to take 14.1 inch over 15.6?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:34 pm

savagecheater wrote:Stupid question - .5 lb difference in weight, any reason to take 14.1 inch over 15.6?

It's more of a question of dimensions than weight.

Does 15.6 "feel" better than 14.1? Also, there are usually upgrades associated with larger laptops.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:no. Buy a Dell with education discount unless you hate windows.

Fuck Dell.

Can't beat them on the low end.

Asus does.

http://www.amazon.com/UL30A-X5K-Light-1 ... 578&sr=8-1

my new prized possession.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

umm.. havent read this thread but re: extended warranties, if you get a mac always buy applecare at some point within that first year. It really pays off because you will have problems (usually pretty minor like failed power supply, bad battery, case cracking, etc.) and because of how tightly the thing is built pretty much anything going on internally is gonna be a big charge. Apples go-to fix is always the replacement of the logic board for almost every problem on the inside. Without AppleCare the replacement is ~$800

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Comparing laptops

Lenevo IdeaPad560

System components

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor ( 1.60GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB
8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
15.6" HD Wide LED 1366x768
Industry Standard Touchpad
500GB 7200
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 1000
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
One Year Warranty

Vs.

HP dv6t Select Edition

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz edit
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors edit
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768) edit
No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam) edit
FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth edit
Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader edit
50% OFF! One 6 Cell (standard) and One 9 Cell (over-sized) Lithium Ion Battery edit
Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010

These are going to both be the exact same price for give or take 50 dollars which isn't an issue. Is the Lenevo worth going to even without nice stuff like blue-ray, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, extra battery, HDMI output that I will get with the HP. Everything else is essentially the exact same.

Basically what makes Lenevos so great and is the ideapad a better choice than the dv6t select edition.

Thanks

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:26 pm

sdlaw wrote:Comparing laptops

Lenevo IdeaPad560

System components

500GB 7200
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
One Year Warranty

Vs.

HP dv6t Select Edition

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz edit
FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors edit
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768) edit
FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
50% OFF! One 6 Cell (standard) and One 9 Cell (over-sized) Lithium Ion Battery edit

These are going to both be the exact same price for give or take 50 dollars which isn't an issue. Is the Lenevo worth going to even without nice stuff like blue-ray, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, extra battery, HDMI output that I will get with the HP. Everything else is essentially the exact same.

Basically what makes Lenevos so great and is the ideapad a better choice than the dv6t select edition.

Thanks

If you are seriously asking TLS for laptop advice then that system is way more powerful than you need. Drop down to a core i5, a 512mb vid card and 4gb ram and save some $$$..

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 pm

[\quote]If you are seriously asking TLS for laptop advice then that system is way more powerful than you need. Drop down to a core i5, a 512mb vid card and 4gb ram and save some $$$..[/quote]

I'm actually quite good with computers and would utilize a large amount of the power but it's been a while since I've bought or even looked at laptop components/computers etc and some of the people on here actually give excellent and somewhat unbiased advice. I also allocate about 1100 dollars each time I buy a laptop in the hopes it won't be completely obsolete in the 3-4 years before I get a new one so that also explains the higher levels of RAM and processor. I can get both these computers for 1100 due to friends who work for the companies/coupons etc. To me it's worth spending an extra 3-4 hundred dollars to have a top of the line system that will be able to keep up 3-5 years down the rode.

I understand the ideapads don't have quite the build quality of the Thinkpads but are they still better than the HPs? Does the better quality of Lenovo make up for the lack of nice features to have like Blue-Ray, HDMI, backlit keyboard etc on the HP? Basically my question remains the same, is the lenovo build quality the sole reason for the high price and is it worth it especially with their ideapad line. The ideapads generally run about 5-6 hundred more than comparable HP's... Is this justified? I don't toss my laptops around, I'm generally fairly careful. Believe it or not my 4 year old dell still runs fine despite having a completely full hard drive if that gives any indication as to how I treat my computers.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
sdlaw wrote:Comparing laptops

Lenevo IdeaPad560

System components

500GB 7200
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
One Year Warranty

Vs.

HP dv6t Select Edition

Thanks

If you are seriously asking TLS for laptop advice then that system is way more powerful than you need. Drop down to a core i5, a 512mb vid card and 4gb ram and save some $$$..

We're not all liberal arts undergrads, though by your statement I guess you believe otherwise. For the record I went to school for, and work in the technology field.

He decided on those choices because he's aware of what he wants to do with his laptop; otherwise he would of asked.

I actually like the dv6t construction when compared to the Ideapads; but that's my opinion.

Considering you chose these laptops, I'm assuming you're going to be gaming/photoshop/CAD?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:05 pm

ResolutePear wrote:We're not all liberal arts undergrads, though by your statement I guess you believe otherwise. For the record I went to school for, and work in the technology field.

He decided on those choices because he's aware of what he wants to do with his laptop; otherwise he would of asked.

I actually like the dv6t construction when compared to the Ideapads; but that's my opinion.

Considering you chose these laptops, I'm assuming you're going to be gaming/photoshop/CAD?

Wow.. it is really, really ridiculous how TLS gets offended at every little thing. The statement wasnt meant to be offensive or aimed at liberal arts grads. We couldve been at technonerdforum.com and I still wouldve said the same thing. But anyway, both systems look to have decent build quality. Lenovo is used a lot in the business world and is known for excellent build. Might want to check online to see if there are any complaints about case cracking with either system. If you are doing some resource loving stuff it will put out a lot of heat and stress the case over time. Both are pretty good deals for 1100 bucks. Lenovo has a slight better vid card but otherwise pretty much the same it looks like.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 pm

sdlaw wrote:I understand the ideapads don't have quite the build quality of the Thinkpads but are they still better than the HPs? Does the better quality of Lenovo make up for the lack of nice features to have like Blue-Ray, HDMI, backlit keyboard etc on the HP? Basically my question remains the same, is the lenovo build quality the sole reason for the high price and is it worth it especially with their ideapad line. The ideapads generally run about 5-6 hundred more than comparable HP's... Is this justified? I don't toss my laptops around, I'm generally fairly careful. Believe it or not my 4 year old dell still runs fine despite having a completely full hard drive if that gives any indication as to how I treat my computers.

Depends on WHICH HP. My friend's HP Envy 15 rocks. Everything from the packaging it came in to the aluminum/magnesium chassis and the i5/5830 components it came with is top of the line.

Don't count on seeing all 3 above or better coming with a $400 HP notebook.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 pm

zeth006 wrote:
sdlaw wrote:I understand the ideapads don't have quite the build quality of the Thinkpads but are they still better than the HPs? Does the better quality of Lenovo make up for the lack of nice features to have like Blue-Ray, HDMI, backlit keyboard etc on the HP? Basically my question remains the same, is the lenovo build quality the sole reason for the high price and is it worth it especially with their ideapad line. The ideapads generally run about 5-6 hundred more than comparable HP's... Is this justified? I don't toss my laptops around, I'm generally fairly careful. Believe it or not my 4 year old dell still runs fine despite having a completely full hard drive if that gives any indication as to how I treat my computers.

Depends on WHICH HP. My friend's HP Envy 15 rocks. Everything from the packaging it came in to the aluminum/magnesium chassis and the i5/5830 components it came with is top of the line.

Don't count on seeing all 3 above or better coming with a $400 HP notebook.

That looks really really really nice(altho I would need to test that chasis in real life to compare it to aluminum unibody design).. if it was maybe 200 bucks cheaper I would consider switching back over from my mac.. At that price point, and for what I do, its not really worth me going through the hassle. This time next year it will be time for me to get a new laptop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”