Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hawkeye22

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 am

Can anyone recommend a site to buy the i3 Timelinex 1830?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 am

JOThompson wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:To me this Lenovo Think pad bundle by UVA is a great deal since I want a Lenovo T410---any computer experts think otherwise?

http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop ... 5FB14A8E71

Unless you're gaming or doing serious multitasking, that's a bit pricey, especially if you're taking out loans for the laptop. Four years of warranty coverage is overkill as well IMO. In the alternative, you could buy an entry level T410 for $812 shipped at the Lenovo Academic store (use the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS). If you'd be more comfortable with an extended warranty, you can always purchase a 2 YR OnSite plan for $135-190.

It *IS* a bit expensive.. but there is reason: 4-Year ThinkPad Protection Accidental Damage Protection.

Yeah, all depends on the user's needs. I have a horrendous track record with laptops so I shelled out for the three year OnSite and accident protection plan. I think two year warranties are the best deal for most buyers, as most laptops are going to be getting obsolete by the third year mark.

Most people on this forum should get a 3-year just because they don't know what tomorrow brings. You could get your foot blown off by a mine while walking down the street and chances are you'll be too busy paying the medical bill to buy another laptop. Whatever laptop you buy will be good from 1L to 3L with no problem; warrantied problems aside.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:30 am

hawkeye22 wrote:Can anyone recommend a site to buy the i3 Timelinex 1830?

newegg.com - always newegg.com if you don't want people acting like jive turkeys with you.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 am

I could only find the i3 version on Tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4938

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 am

ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:To me this Lenovo Think pad bundle by UVA is a great deal since I want a Lenovo T410---any computer experts think otherwise?

Unless you're gaming or doing serious multitasking, that's a bit pricey, especially if you're taking out loans for the laptop. Four years of warranty coverage is overkill as well IMO. In the alternative, you could buy an entry level T410 for $812 shipped at the Lenovo Academic store (use the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS). If you'd be more comfortable with an extended warranty, you can always purchase a 2 YR OnSite plan for $135-190.

It *IS* a bit expensive.. but there is reason: 4-Year ThinkPad Protection Accidental Damage Protection.

Yeah, all depends on the user's needs. I have a horrendous track record with laptops so I shelled out for the three year OnSite and accident protection plan. I think two year warranties are the best deal for most buyers, as most laptops are going to be getting obsolete by the third year mark.

That happened to me the other day. I was walking down the street, carrying my laptop and a mine blew off my foot. Dell wouldn't even replace my laptop. They kept giving me the 'ol "walking around in the Korean DMZ isn't covered under warranty" line.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 am

JOThompson wrote:

I could only find the i3 version on Tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4938

Thanks... I guess they're too new to find under the $600 MSRP.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

That happened to me the other day. I was walking down the street, carrying my laptop and a mine blew off my foot. Dell wouldn't even replace my laptop. They kept giving me the 'ol "walking around in the Korean DMZ isn't covered under warranty" line.

The problem with your laptop is bolded - and by extension.. a possible reason for your foot getting blown off. People are known to be influenced in their strut by the weight and quality of their laptop.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am

ResolutePear wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

The problem with your laptop is bolded - and by extension.. a possible reason for your foot getting blown off. People are known to be influenced in their strut by the weight and quality of their laptop.

Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Escape Unharmed
Write Book
???
Profit

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:53 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Write Book while on field
Escape slightly harmed
???
Profit More

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 am

ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Start Writing Book While on Field
Get Captured
Get Bill to Assist in Release
Escape Unharmed, Finish Book
???
Profit More

It works, here's proof:

http://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-Inside- ... 0062000675

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Get Captured
???
Profit More

It works, here's proof:

Go now. Before it's the next reality series on FOX.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:38 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Get Captured
???
Profit More

It works, here's proof:

Lol... the real question: What would you have to pay Bill to participate?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:40 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Hmm...
Take Acer to DMZ
Strut Wider
Get Captured
???
Profit More

It works, here's proof:

Lol... the real question: What would you have to pay Bill to participate?

I dunno, but I hear he likes to play sex. sax.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:09 am

just fyi...

i've both dropped my lenovo T410 off a table and stepped on it with full weight already this summer and it has not missed a heartbeat. the durability is as good as advertised.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Panther7 wrote:just fyi...

i've both dropped my lenovo T410 off a table and stepped on it with full weight already this summer and it has not missed a heartbeat. the durability is as good as advertised.

A little rough on your technology? :shock:

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:22 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

HP's 4-year accidental warranties on premium notebooks go as high as $400. Yeah. Believe it or not, it's that one extra year on top of the usual 3 year warranty that gets really pricey. Notebooks aren't like desktops, so you can expect the number of problems to start cropping up. The accidental protection is good for ensuring you get issues resolved that normally wouldn't get coverage under the standard, that way Lenovo CSRs can't play hard to get with you.

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Any comments on this Toshiba?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:10 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

HP's 4-year accidental warranties on premium notebooks go as high as $400. Yeah. Believe it or not, it's that one extra year on top of the usual 3 year warranty that gets really pricey. Notebooks aren't like desktops, so you can expect the number of problems to start cropping up. The accidental protection is good for ensuring you get issues resolved that normally wouldn't get coverage under the standard, that way Lenovo CSRs can't play hard to get with you.

The 4-year warranty is great for undergrad, same for prof. schools. The T-series is built like a freaking tank IMO.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm

So, I could use some advice. I've narrowed down my laptop choices to 2, but can't decide which way to go. There's:

1. 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.4GHz). I figure I can install Windows 7 Professional and OneNote. Really like that it would give me access to both OS worlds.

2. 12-inch HP Tm2t tablet. Intel Core i3 processor, bigger hard drive, cheaper price (about $300) Would have to upgrade software like the Mac, so that's not a consideration. Am slightly worried that they're rumored to be buggy + they have no ext. optical drive.

The biggest issue for me is that I realized in college I retain stuff better when I write it down (vs. typing it out), hence the tablet. If I went with the Mac, I could get a livescribe pen, but I'm not sure I'd want to blow even more money like that.

Opinions?

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:So, I could use some advice. I've narrowed down my laptop choices to 2, but can't decide which way to go. There's:

1. 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.4GHz). I figure I can install Windows 7 Professional and OneNote. Really like that it would give me access to both OS worlds.

2. 12-inch HP Tm2t tablet. Intel Core i3 processor, bigger hard drive, cheaper price (about $300) Would have to upgrade software like the Mac, so that's not a consideration. Am slightly worried that they're rumored to be buggy + they have no ext. optical drive.

The biggest issue for me is that I realized in college I retain stuff better when I write it down (vs. typing it out), hence the tablet. If I went with the Mac, I could get a livescribe pen, but I'm not sure I'd want to blow even more money like that.

Opinions?

I would definitely want to try out the keyboard on that tablet. Even if you don't use it for taking notes, you'll be wanting to type your exams, no?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Thinkpad X201 with 3-year warranty now going for $757

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread ... id=2144108

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:23 am

zeth006 wrote:Thinkpad X201 with 3-year warranty now going for $757

Ack, I should've waited for that deal. I love my T410, but it's not worth $500 more to me than an X201 with similar components.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:16 am

JOThompson wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Thinkpad X201 with 3-year warranty now going for $757

Ack, I should've waited for that deal. I love my T410, but it's not worth $500 more to me than an X201 with similar components.

No worries. People are saying it's a price mistake.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am

Just ordered a Dell 14.

elscorcho

Postby elscorcho » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:18 am

So through my school i think i can get a dell inspiron15R w/ an intel i5, 4gb ram, and 320gb hard drive for ~$750. From the research i've been doing that sounds like a really good deal. any thoughts? its one of dell's fast track models that ship in 24hrs, anyone have any experience with theses?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”