Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JollyGreenGiant

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:30 pm

ARGH! Order my Lenovo a couple weeks ago and it was supposed to come next week. But apparently it has been delayed to the 2nd week of August. grumble grumble

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:ARGH! Order my Lenovo a couple weeks ago and it was supposed to come next week. But apparently it has been delayed to the 2nd week of August. grumble grumble

I feel you.

I ordered mine on the 12th, it shipped on the 16th (well before it was scheduled) and UPS said today was the day it should be delivered. Well, it's been sitting in Louisville, KY for two days with a status of "THIS SHIPMENT IS WAREHOUSED UNTIL IT IS RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY"

I'm frustrated.

laureng05

Postby laureng05 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey guys,
I'm currently deciding between the Asus ul30 and ul80. the main difference is the 30 has a 13.3 inch screen and no optical drive, while the 80 is a pound heavier, but has a 14 inch screen as well as an optical drive. i've never really used a computer with a 13.3 inch screen - do you guys think there's much difference between the screen sizes? any thoughts on my two choices is much appreciated. thanks!

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

I'd recommend going to a store and looking at laptops with the screen sizes you're interested in. Anything below 14 inch is a little too small for me, but it's perfect for others.

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
sdlaw wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:Quad, no question.

And before anybody rolls all over kal - it makes sense. Less overall load on the processor = cooler CPU = cooler laptop = saving you from sniper round shrapnel.

Okay, I lied on the last reason. But, the rest is true.

Don't quads generally ream the battery??? Is the performance benefit substantial, I've heard of the i5 dual cores being cooler than the i7 quads but I could have that backwards.

All things equal - the difference is minimal between them with battery life. Oh, and depending on what family of i7 and i5 you're looking at.. the cache is larger on the i7 which makes it exceedingly faster...

but we're on a law forum. Chances are unless you're multi-tasking WoW and Starcraft 2 while editing a word document on an external display.. I doubt you're going to run into problems. Especially with Windows 7. Microsoft is (finally) pushing out quality for the first time since DOS.

Upgraded System thanks to you guys and a nice 200 dollar off coupon I found online.

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM Quad Core processor (1.73GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz edit
Memory 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors edit
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768) edit
Touchscreen No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam) edit
Primary optical drive FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Networking Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth edit
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader edit
Primary battery 50% OFF! One 6 Cell (standard) and One 9 Cell (over-sized) Lithium Ion Battery edit
Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010 edit
Security software No additional security software edit
Theft protection FREE Upgrade to Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years from One Year edit

Other Processor Options...wondering if performance difference warrants price difference.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz Subtract $150

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz subtract $200

AMD Phenom(TM) II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N930 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) subtract $350

Also I have 6 GB memory here, is it worth downgrading to 4GB to save 100 dollars...

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:08 pm

sdlaw wrote:Upgraded System thanks to you guys and a nice 200 dollar off coupon I found online.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM Quad Core processor (1.73GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz edit
Hard drive 640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors edit
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Primary battery 50% OFF! One 6 Cell (standard) and One 9 Cell (over-sized) Lithium Ion Battery edit
Theft protection FREE Upgrade to Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years from One Year edit

Other Processor Options...wondering if performance difference warrants price difference.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz Subtract $150

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz subtract $200

AMD Phenom(TM) II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N930 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) subtract $350

Also I have 6 GB memory here, is it worth downgrading to 4GB to save 100 dollars...

I would not take the -350 AMD processor because AMD is not making great hardware right now. The other 2 are fine though. I would probably go with the -150 Quad Intel, the i7-720m. I don't think the one you have in now is worth the extra 150. I also think 4GB of Ram is plenty. As a side note though, I'm usually skeptical of HP build quality. Try to find some reviews for that specific model that testify to how sturdy it is.

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:13 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
sdlaw wrote:Upgraded System thanks to you guys and a nice 200 dollar off coupon I found online.

I would not take the -350 AMD processor because AMD is not making great hardware right now. The other 2 are fine though. I would probably go with the -150 Quad Intel, the i7-720m. I don't think the one you have in now is worth the extra 150. I also think 4GB of Ram is plenty. As a side note though, I'm usually skeptical of HP build quality. Try to find some reviews for that specific model that testify to how sturdy it is.

I have looked at reviews and the HP dv6t - Select Edition are pretty highly regarded for having "excellent build quality." I would be more open to a thinkpad or lenevo but the pricing different is fairly dramatic, and I get an additional 20 percent off everything at HP through a friend that works there...so it brings a 1500 dollar setup down to 1100 with coupon and percentage.

What I'm really curious is, if I downgrade on Memory or Processor is their anything I should upgrade on? Right now I come out to 1115 which is right at my budget and how much I planned to spend. There's the option of upgrading to an envy, but the components wouldn't even be close for the same price so that doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for the help.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Sorry I'm no quoting or it will be really long.

That computer is screaming fast. The graphics card and processor are plenty. 4GB of RAM is fine. A hard drive could make it faster, I would want something that spins at 7200 RPMs. Those are harder to find in notebooks though and more expensive. You could get a SSD and keep all your files on an external, that is probably more work than it is worth though. I would say keep it unless the HD can be faster and even 5400 vs. 7200 is not going to matter much at all. If you just want to surf the net, type in word, make outlines, watch youtube, watch movies, that sort of stuff then this computer is fine. You can also do some pretty heavy gaming and editing too.

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:29 pm

laureng05 wrote:Hey guys,
I'm currently deciding between the Asus ul30 and ul80. the main difference is the 30 has a 13.3 inch screen and no optical drive, while the 80 is a pound heavier, but has a 14 inch screen as well as an optical drive. i've never really used a computer with a 13.3 inch screen - do you guys think there's much difference between the screen sizes? any thoughts on my two choices is much appreciated. thanks!

I'm looking at the same two. Trying to decide... I'm pretty small and I hate having a sore back after carrying heavy stuff around all day, but not sure I can live with less than 14. Also btw, you've probably already seen but Amazon has unpublished prices for lower than I've found anywhere else on both models.

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Sorry I'm no quoting or it will be really long.

That computer is screaming fast. The graphics card and processor are plenty. 4GB of RAM is fine. A hard drive could make it faster, I would want something that spins at 7200 RPMs. Those are harder to find in notebooks though and more expensive. You could get a SSD and keep all your files on an external, that is probably more work than it is worth though. I would say keep it unless the HD can be faster and even 5400 vs. 7200 is not going to matter much at all. If you just want to surf the net, type in word, make outlines, watch youtube, watch movies, that sort of stuff then this computer is fine. You can also do some pretty heavy gaming and editing too.

I can get a 500 gb hard drive at 7200 RPMs for $50 dollars less so I'll go about doing that. I looked into solid state but I can only get a 160 gb one and that's not big enough for me. I'm concerned that by not upgrading to 6 GB of RAM the computer could become slightly outdated after 2 - 3 years, I assume at that point more programs will be able to better utilize 6 GBs of RAM. Am I being OCD about this??? Is it going to make my machine faster to downgrade the Hard drive 140 gbs for a faster RPM?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:50 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:ARGH! Order my Lenovo a couple weeks ago and it was supposed to come next week. But apparently it has been delayed to the 2nd week of August. grumble grumble

Yeah, mine was supposed to ship Monday, but then the order status screen said there was a problem. I called and they said a hold had been placed but they weren't sure why, and they would release the hold. Weird.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 pm

sdlaw wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Sorry I'm no quoting or it will be really long.

I can get a 500 gb hard drive at 7200 RPMs for $50 dollars less so I'll go about doing that. I looked into solid state but I can only get a 160 gb one and that's not big enough for me. I'm concerned that by not upgrading to 6 GB of RAM the computer could become slightly outdated after 2 - 3 years, I assume at that point more programs will be able to better utilize 6 GBs of RAM. Am I being OCD about this??? Is it going to make my machine faster to downgrade the Hard drive 140 gbs for a faster RPM?

RAM is the easiest component of all to install. Go to newegg and see how cheap it is then make your decision. Newegg probably has quality RAM for half the price of the bargain chips HP uses. Also, take the faster 500 GB drive and get an external. You'll want one to backup outlines and stuff on anyway. I don't think it will speed up your computer a ton but for me: somewhat less space, faster drive, 50 bucks saved just makes sense.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 pm

examplepdf wrote:
laureng05 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm looking at the same two. Trying to decide... I'm pretty small and I hate having a sore back after carrying heavy stuff around all day, but not sure I can live with less than 14. Also btw, you've probably already seen but Amazon has unpublished prices for lower than I've found anywhere else on both models.

UL-80 is the one I'm looking at too. I'm pretty sure the UL-80JT or something like that comes out soon, which is the newer model. I saw it on Amazon for around 850. It has a faster i3 processor and a 310M instead of 210M. I figure it will either be worth it or at least drive down the price of the old UL-80 so that is something I'm keeping an eye on. I also want the 80 over the 30 but I'm a dude and fairly big so I'm not too worried about weight.

giantsnumb1

Postby giantsnumb1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:15 pm

What's better, the Lenovo Thinkpad x210 or the Thinkpad T410i?

JurisDorian

Postby JurisDorian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:19 pm

How is the Lenovo Thinkpad L412?
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 007A025F31

What should I consider adding on during customization?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:29 pm

HBK wrote:dlac thanks for your post. It was really informative.

legalease9 wrote:Look at your law school's website to see if they have any special deals/partnerships regarding laptops.

See, I've looked at a couple of these, and they all still seem ridiculously over priced- as in I could get the same products or better for cheaper with just a google or bing shopping search.

At some schools, the vendor laptops come with an extended three year warranty. That might explain the increased price.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
Oe.Maas wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Intel is $200 better.

Foooook, so stuff like it runs faster & is less prone to crashing?

Also, edited into my last post: EDIT2: looks like with the L series you get 7 hr battery, anti-glare screen and the intel processor for less than the Intel Edge? Maybe this is better?

Intel is just better. Runs cooler, more stable, faster.

L-series doesn't have the same graphics options available, nor the impact protection for the HDD. I'd want that.

Also, no HDMI connector.

AMD mobile processors in general tend to be an unknown quantity. Many are known for running really hot and having horrible battery life.

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:34 pm

To me this Lenovo Think pad bundle by UVA is a great deal since I want a Lenovo T410---any computer experts think otherwise?

http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop ... 5FB14A8E71

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm

SuichiKurama wrote:To me this Lenovo Think pad bundle by UVA is a great deal since I want a Lenovo T410---any computer experts think otherwise?

Seems good. It has a 4-year warranty which alone can be kinda pricey. Great for the year after after you graduate if you don't feel like buying a new notebook but don't want to shell out extra $ for repairs. My only criticism is bang for buckwise, your school would've been better off bulk ordering the T410 without the GPU as that probably added on about $100 to the price tag. Other than that, an i5-520M, 320GB 7200RPM and 4gb should be plenty good enough for some multitasking action.

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm

zeth006 wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:To me this Lenovo Think pad bundle by UVA is a great deal since I want a Lenovo T410---any computer experts think otherwise?

Seems good. It has a 4-year warranty which alone can be kinda pricey. Great for the year after after you graduate if you don't feel like buying a new notebook but don't want to shell out extra $ for repairs. My only criticism is bang for buckwise, your school would've been better off bulk ordering the T410 without the GPU as that probably added on about $100 to the price tag. Other than that, an i5-520M, 320GB 7200RPM and 4gb should be plenty good enough for some multitasking action.

Thanks!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Unless you're gaming or doing serious multitasking, that's a bit pricey, especially if you're taking out loans for the laptop. Four years of warranty coverage is overkill as well IMO. In the alternative, you could buy an entry level T410 for $812 shipped at the Lenovo Academic store (use the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS). If you'd be more comfortable with an extended warranty, you can always purchase a 2 YR OnSite plan for $135-190.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:59 pm

JOThompson wrote:

Unless you're gaming or doing serious multitasking, that's a bit pricey, especially if you're taking out loans for the laptop. Four years of warranty coverage is overkill as well IMO. In the alternative, you could buy an entry level T410 for $812 shipped at the Lenovo Academic store (use the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS). If you'd be more comfortable with an extended warranty, you can always purchase a 2 YR OnSite plan for $135-190.

It *IS* a bit expensive.. but there is reason: 4-Year ThinkPad Protection Accidental Damage Protection.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:02 am

Just bought my wife an Asus UL80.

That's a nice machine, I dig it a lot.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 am

kalvano wrote:Just bought my wife an Asus UL80.

That's a nice machine, I dig it a lot.

Gotta say, that looks like a sexy machine.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am

ResolutePear wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

It *IS* a bit expensive.. but there is reason: 4-Year ThinkPad Protection Accidental Damage Protection.

Yeah, all depends on the user's needs. I have a horrendous track record with laptops so I shelled out for the three year OnSite and accident protection plan. I think two year warranties are the best deal for most buyers, as most laptops are going to be getting obsolete by the third year mark.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”