Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Matlock

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:56 pm

clint4law wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
yinz wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|

What tipped the scale in MBP's favor for you?

Light, battery length, ease of use, overall quality, and a mac store within a mile of my house for service needs. Plus my wife really wants the free ipod touch that comes with it. :lol:

clint4law wrote:What deal on the T410? Also, where you gonna pick up the monitor and portable HD from?

--LinkRemoved--

Best Buy for the monitor, Costco for the external HD and Ebay for the Brother laser printer.

is the t410 a better deal than the one for $729 here:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpa00678&

That's the edge as opposed to the T series. From what I can gather, it's comparing a Tank (T-series) to a Humvee (Edge). Add on the 3 year warranty and I really think you'll be fine. At this point, it's lots of personal preference issues.... I think.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:11 pm

That's my concern--just how much the warranty can help you out. I'd rely on a warranty to solve things like a hard drive death or screen blowout. But if it's something like a hinge breaking down over time, I wouldn't put it past a big company like Lenovo to refuse to fix or replace it free under the argument that you abused it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 pm

You seriously aren't going to need a warranty outside the basic manufacturers warranty in my opinion. Don't leave it on your bed, that way stuff won't overheat and fry. If your HD fails, just buy a new one. Buying a new one will be just as cheap, if not cheaper, then tossing away money on a warranty most of the time (get small ones, and keep music/movies/shows on an external).

If you're careless and break LCD screens a lot because you like to punch the screen when you die in a game, then yeah maybe. Other than that, shit ain't gonna break man.

Most of the time, your computer won't wake up after 2+ years of use and be like, yo dude, I'm gonna fail all over your ass today. Usually it's the culmination of user ignorance and misuse when stuff fails. I'm currently typing this from an HP desktop that's over 8 years old and has never had a failed component or any other issue.

And most of the time, companies love to get real technical over what the warranty will actually cover, and will try to screw you out of covered repairs. Not to mention, almost every service rep will be speaking english as a second language, will stick to a macro'd script, and will probably know less about computers than you do.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:That's the edge as opposed to the T series. From what I can gather, it's comparing a Tank (T-series) to a Humvee (Edge). Add on the 3 year warranty and I really think you'll be fine. At this point, it's lots of personal preference issues.... I think.

I did a lot of research before I bought my Edge. That's a very good analogy.

The T-series is about as tough as they come, shy of a Toughbook. The Edge will serve most people more than adequately.

The T-series is designed for business travelers whose laptops will be hit, bumped, searched, prodded, spilled on, and generally abused by lots of travel.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Call me a skeptic, if you will. I've heard too many stories of people who out of sheer boredom took apart a current-age Thinkpad and compared it to a 1990s IBM Thinkpad. Each story ended with the techie concluding that the current generation Thinkpads by Lenovo just don't compare in terms to the build quality and craftsmanship that IBM was known for having. It's not a far cry off from the way car experts periodically dismantle a car part by part and draw conclusions about its build quality.

Yes, I know I'm relying on a questionable body of anecdotal evidence. But after Lenovo took over IBM's Thinkpad division, I've been really wary of just how much of IBM's quality they've maintained. The Thinkpad was a money-losing business before the takeover. It only returned to black after the acquisition. I'm not entirely convinced Lenovo made the profit solely through netbook sales. I'm a bit suspicious that some compromises in build quality and materials were made to cut costs.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:49 pm

zeth006 wrote:Call me a skeptic, if you will. I've heard too many stories of people who out of sheer boredom took apart a current-age Thinkpad and compared it to a 1990s IBM Thinkpad. Each story ended with the techie concluding that the current generation Thinkpads by Lenovo just don't compare in terms to the build quality and craftsmanship that IBM was known for having. It's not a far cry off from the way car experts periodically dismantle a car part by part and draw conclusions about its build quality.

Yes, I know I'm relying on a questionable body of anecdotal evidence. But after Lenovo took over IBM's Thinkpad division, I've been really wary of just how much of IBM's quality they've maintained. The Thinkpad was a money-losing business before the takeover. It only returned to black after the acquisition. I'm not entirely convinced Lenovo made the profit solely through netbook sales. I'm a bit suspicious that some compromises in build quality and materials were made to cut costs.

So it's slipped from being a Patek to a Rolex?

Big deal.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:51 pm

zeth006 wrote:Call me a skeptic, if you will. I've heard too many stories of people who out of sheer boredom took apart a current-age Thinkpad and compared it to a 1990s IBM Thinkpad. Each story ended with the techie concluding that the current generation Thinkpads by Lenovo just don't compare in terms to the build quality and craftsmanship that IBM was known for having. It's not a far cry off from the way car experts periodically dismantle a car part by part and draw conclusions about its build quality.

Can't compare stuff from 10 years ago to today. That's like saying a new BMW sucks because it uses aluminum vs. a old chevy that uses cast iron/steel.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:56 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Can't compare stuff from 10 years ago to today. That's like saying a new BMW sucks because it uses aluminum vs. a old chevy that uses cast iron/steel.

Anecdotal evidence here, but my parents both use Thinkpads for work and the construction doesn't seem any sturdier than the Latitude my brother has.

Is the structural quality between an Ideapad and a Thinkpad that great? The Ideapad has the options I want, the Thinkpad has the reputation behind it, so I'm very torn.

I'm also wary because of Son of Cicero's disgust with Lenovo.

HP vs. Lenovo vs. Toshiba vs. Asus, how do they stack up in quality of manufacture?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Mainly, I bought a Thinkpad for the Trackpoint. I love that thing.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:03 pm

savagecheater wrote:
HP vs. Lenovo vs. Toshiba vs. Asus, how do they stack up in quality of manufacture?

Hence the near 50 pages of this thread. So many options that are in essence almost identical. I thought the poster who mentioned them as "commodities" was spot on. Some people hate HP and say it's cheap, and then you have the recent post by the person that's had their HP for 8 years with ZERO defects. It all seems to be personal preference. Asus is the new kid on the block, but people essentially like it overall. CNET.com has a hard-on for the Toshiba line, and some say Sony is right up there with Apple and Lenovo.

I'm going with the Mac out of convenience and the desire to follow cult mentality. I love kool-aid dammit!!!!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Just break down and buy a Biohazard or a Velocity-Micro.

Then, no worries about shoddy construction.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Build construction and brand comparisons aside, I recommend buying a warranty. $130-150 for a 3-year warranty from Square Trade should be good enough if the company's marking up theirs.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:28 am

so I'm thinking of getting the $729 Lenovo:

with the 3-yr warranty from Squaretrade.....any objections?
also are there any coupon codes?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:46 am

clint4law wrote:so I'm thinking of getting the $729 Lenovo:

Sure, but Lenovos' own 3-year warranty is $99.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:50 am

zeth006 wrote:

thanks....do you think lenovos' warranty is more solid than Squaretrade?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:56 am

clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Dunno what to tell ya, haha. If you want to find out, you may want to create an account at notebookreview.com and ask people here:

--LinkRemoved--

In the event you go with Square Trade, enter $30 off coupon (thirty30) to bring it down to $99. I'd recommend "REDHOT" as a coupon, but it seems to knock off only $26.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:25 am

clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Just a reminder: A thinkpad warranty will be geared more towards business while Squaretrade (from my experience) is geared more towards consumers. Neither of them are bad - just different. I personally want to treat my Law School career like a business endeavor.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:20 pm

finally...some closure....he's what I ended up getting for $1,100 with tax. The 3-yr accidental warranty was for $236

0578CTO ThinkPad EDGE 14 - 1Year Express

Intel Core i3-330M Processor (2.13GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)1
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 6412
14.0" HD Vibrant View, Midnight Black Glossy
Integrated Mobile Intel 5 Series GFX Chipsets
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
UltraNav with fingerprint reader
500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer5
6 cell 2.2Ah Li-Ion Battery60
None
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN)10
No WWAN support65
0578: 1Year Depot Warranty7
Processor 1 Intel Core i3-330M Processor (2.13GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
Operating system 12 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Operating system language Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 US English
Display type 14.0" HD Vibrant View, Midnight Black Glossy
System graphics Integrated Mobile Intel 5 Series GFX Chipsets
Total memory 8 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboard Keyboard US English
Pointing device UltraNav with fingerprint reader
Camera Low Light Sensitive 2.0MP Camera
Hard drive 4 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device 5 DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer
Battery 60 6 cell 2.2Ah Li-Ion Battery
Power cord Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters 10 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN)
Language Pack Language Pack US English

45K5985 3Yr Onsite Warranty + 3Yr ThinkPad Protection

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:37 pm

clint4law wrote:finally...some closure....he's what I ended up getting for $1,100 with tax. The 3-yr accidental warranty was for $236

0578CTO ThinkPad EDGE 14 - 1Year Express

Nice! Feels good to be done I'm sure!!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:43 pm

It's amazing how much people agonize over such a purchase.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Haha, and understandably so! You're going to use this machine for the long haul.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm

zeth006 wrote:Haha, and understandably so! You're going to use this machine for the long haul.

I just find it funny. I went through the same thing when I bought my last laptop. Everything else, I go in, find something I like, buy it, and be done with it.

Laptops, I take months to find something.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:53 pm

kalvano wrote:It's amazing how much people agonize over such a purchase.

Something about the thousand dollar mark of a purchase that seems to increase the level of fail aversion exponentially for me.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Something about the thousand dollar mark of a purchase that seems to increase the level of fail aversion exponentially for me.

yea...I wasn't planning on spending over $1,000....but I bought the 3-yr accidental warranty for $216 and that pushed me over the $1000 mark. Oh well at least when I toss my laptop off my balcony at the end of 3L (along with my outlines) I'll know I can get it fixed.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Buy the MBP Matlock. You won't regret it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”