Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 am

I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:12 pm

JOThompson wrote:I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.


so did you get it in yet?

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:12 pm

JOThompson wrote:I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.


Ditto. I'd personally avoid the Edge line. There's a good reason it costs less than the T410 line. Read:

Build quality is above average compared to consumer notebooks, but a step below business-grade ThinkPads. The screen hinges are noticeably smaller than what you might find on a standard ThinkPad; they are plastic-faced, not metal. ThinkPads have been known for strong screen hinges that last throughout the notebook's life without wearing out. Some smaller models, like the X200, have used smaller hinges to complement the smaller design, but the hinges on the ThinkPad Edge feel weak in comparison.



http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ad+edge+14

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 pm

The key in the above post is that it's still above standard consumer notebooks. For those of us on a budget, the Edge seems to be a solid way to combine both price and durability. Sure, it's not as good as ye old Thinkpad, but it's still designed tougher than any Acer/Toshiba/Asus/HP/Dell will be. I haven't received mine in the yet, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts. Just to clarify, I got the 14 inch matte black Thinkpad Edge with literally no alterations to the standard package (Intel processors, however).

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:58 am

zeth006 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.


Ditto. I'd personally avoid the Edge line. There's a good reason it costs less than the T410 line. Read:

Build quality is above average compared to consumer notebooks, but a step below business-grade ThinkPads. The screen hinges are noticeably smaller than what you might find on a standard ThinkPad; they are plastic-faced, not metal. ThinkPads have been known for strong screen hinges that last throughout the notebook's life without wearing out. Some smaller models, like the X200, have used smaller hinges to complement the smaller design, but the hinges on the ThinkPad Edge feel weak in comparison.



http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ad+edge+14


so what do you recommend? I have $1,000 budget

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:07 am

beach_terror wrote:The key in the above post is that it's still above standard consumer notebooks. For those of us on a budget, the Edge seems to be a solid way to combine both price and durability. Sure, it's not as good as ye old Thinkpad, but it's still designed tougher than any Acer/Toshiba/Asus/HP/Dell will be. I haven't received mine in the yet, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts. Just to clarify, I got the 14 inch matte black Thinkpad Edge with literally no alterations to the standard package (Intel processors, however).



Represent, yo.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:22 am

clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.


Ditto. I'd personally avoid the Edge line. There's a good reason it costs less than the T410 line. Read:

Build quality is above average compared to consumer notebooks, but a step below business-grade ThinkPads. The screen hinges are noticeably smaller than what you might find on a standard ThinkPad; they are plastic-faced, not metal. ThinkPads have been known for strong screen hinges that last throughout the notebook's life without wearing out. Some smaller models, like the X200, have used smaller hinges to complement the smaller design, but the hinges on the ThinkPad Edge feel weak in comparison.



http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ad+edge+14


so what do you recommend? I have $1,000 budget



The Thinkpad T410i (Note the "i") with the 4gb RAM upgrade is $914.00 before taxes. If you're fine with 2GB of RAM, it starts at $829. Apply the student discount, and you can get this baby for under $1,000. I'd personally toss in the 3-year standard warranty.

EDIT: Damn student discount feature's not working. But you get the idea. Get the T-series instead of the Edge if you're willing to pay extra.

savagecheater
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby savagecheater » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:37 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834114927

Thoughts on this?

The ThinkPad's tireless reliance on Intel GPUs is kind of making this choice difficult.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:44 pm

savagecheater wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114927

Thoughts on this?

The ThinkPad's tireless reliance on Intel GPUs is kind of making this choice difficult.


They have Nvidia ones on their T-series.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:59 pm

FFFFUUUU

The Thinkpad Edge 14" is now on sale a week after I ordered mine. I could have got an extra gb of ram (3 instead of 2) and a 7200rpm 500gb harddrive instead of a 5400rpm 250gb for a whopping 50$ more.

Really annoyed. I'd return, but Lenovo "reserves the right" to charge a 20% restocking fee. Like what the f? 120$ to restock? Sweet bros.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:FFFFUUUU

The Thinkpad Edge 14" is now on sale a week after I ordered mine. I could have got an extra gb of ram (3 instead of 2) and a 7200rpm 500gb harddrive instead of a 5400rpm 250gb for a whopping 50$ more.

Really annoyed. I'd return, but Lenovo "reserves the right" to charge a 20% restocking fee. Like what the f? 120$ to restock? Sweet bros.


are you referring to the $729 deal?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes, I am.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby yinz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|


What tipped the scale in MBP's favor for you?

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|


What deal on the T410? Also, where you gonna pick up the monitor and portable HD from?

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|


Trust me. Spend a few years in a country like Korea where protectionism reigns high, and you'll be thankful. The beauty of living in America is you get access to electronics from foreign brands and not just domestic. The cutthroat pricing only makes it better.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:18 pm


User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Price to Size, it's a very good price.

I have never used Samsung-external drives and I have no clue what HD they use. Soooooo.... at your own risk!

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Price to Size, it's a very good price.

I have never used Samsung-external drives and I have no clue what HD they use. Soooooo.... at your own risk!


I'm no pro on hard drives, but Samsung HDDs tend to get positive reception. I wouldn't take the single 1-star review as there's a probably a better than just slim chance the reviewer has never owned the HDD.



If you want to get a better idea of what you're getting for your bucks, go to slickdeals.net and hang around there a while.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Price to Size, it's a very good price.

I have never used Samsung-external drives and I have no clue what HD they use. Soooooo.... at your own risk!


I just picked it up....I'll have everything backed up on my laptop as well as flashdrive....do I'm willing to take a lil risk.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Price to Size, it's a very good price.

I have never used Samsung-external drives and I have no clue what HD they use. Soooooo.... at your own risk!


I'm no pro on hard drives, but Samsung HDDs tend to get positive reception. I wouldn't take the single 1-star review as there's a probably a better than just slim chance the reviewer has never owned the HDD.



If you want to get a better idea of what you're getting for your bucks, go to slickdeals.net and hang around there a while.


i found it on slickdeals actually....so you think it was a good buy?

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:
clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I ended up paying an extra $100 and getting the T-410 with an i7 processor, fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 4GB RAM, and 500 GB HD. $1300 with the three year Onsite. It might be more economical to just buy a decent laptop every other year, but I'd rather avoid the headache and buy an upscale one now.


Ditto. I'd personally avoid the Edge line. There's a good reason it costs less than the T410 line. Read:

Build quality is above average compared to consumer notebooks, but a step below business-grade ThinkPads. The screen hinges are noticeably smaller than what you might find on a standard ThinkPad; they are plastic-faced, not metal. ThinkPads have been known for strong screen hinges that last throughout the notebook's life without wearing out. Some smaller models, like the X200, have used smaller hinges to complement the smaller design, but the hinges on the ThinkPad Edge feel weak in comparison.



http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ad+edge+14


so what do you recommend? I have $1,000 budget



The Thinkpad T410i (Note the "i") with the 4gb RAM upgrade is $914.00 before taxes. If you're fine with 2GB of RAM, it starts at $829. Apply the student discount, and you can get this baby for under $1,000. I'd personally toss in the 3-year standard warranty.

EDIT: Damn student discount feature's not working. But you get the idea. Get the T-series instead of the Edge if you're willing to pay extra.


what do you think of the $729 deal?
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpa00678&

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 pm

yinz wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|


What tipped the scale in MBP's favor for you?

Light, battery length, ease of use, overall quality, and a mac store within a mile of my house for service needs. Plus my wife really wants the free ipod touch that comes with it. :lol:

clint4law wrote:What deal on the T410? Also, where you gonna pick up the monitor and portable HD from?


--LinkRemoved--

Best Buy for the monitor, Costco for the external HD and Ebay for the Brother laser printer.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:42 pm

clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
clint4law wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Build quality is above average compared to consumer notebooks, but a step below business-grade ThinkPads. The screen hinges are noticeably smaller than what you might find on a standard ThinkPad; they are plastic-faced, not metal. ThinkPads have been known for strong screen hinges that last throughout the notebook's life without wearing out. Some smaller models, like the X200, have used smaller hinges to complement the smaller design, but the hinges on the ThinkPad Edge feel weak in comparison.



http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ad+edge+14


so what do you recommend? I have $1,000 budget



The Thinkpad T410i (Note the "i") with the 4gb RAM upgrade is $914.00 before taxes. If you're fine with 2GB of RAM, it starts at $829. Apply the student discount, and you can get this baby for under $1,000. I'd personally toss in the 3-year standard warranty.

EDIT: Damn student discount feature's not working. But you get the idea. Get the T-series instead of the Edge if you're willing to pay extra.


what do you think of the $729 deal?
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpa00678&[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty good. They say the build quality isn't the same as the T-series though; I would beg to differ but having never used one for more than a week.. I'm not in the position to give a definite if that's a make or break for you.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
yinz wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Next Saturday I shall be making my purchase. As of right now, 15" MBP with 3 yr warranty, 20" Acer 2nd monitor, Brother HL-2140 laser printer, and a 1TB portable HD. That deal on the T410 though is hella awesome though.

Why do I hate this process so much? :|


What tipped the scale in MBP's favor for you?

Light, battery length, ease of use, overall quality, and a mac store within a mile of my house for service needs. Plus my wife really wants the free ipod touch that comes with it. :lol:

clint4law wrote:What deal on the T410? Also, where you gonna pick up the monitor and portable HD from?


--LinkRemoved--

Best Buy for the monitor, Costco for the external HD and Ebay for the Brother laser printer.


is the t410 a better deal than the one for $729 here:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpa00678&




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ColonelSanders, Commoncourtesy, Dondraper88, Ferrisjso, malysh, SweetTort and 7 guests