Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CG614

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

Also, beware that some schools exam software is not compatible with Mac. Period.

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am

CG614 wrote:Also, beware that some schools exam software is not compatible with Mac. Period.

Mac is not compatible with any software. However it is capable of running Windows, OS X, Linux, among other operating systems.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

I didn't read much of this thread, because I'm sure it's the same as all the others. If you have trouble with a pc, changes are you're doing it wrong. I work in IT, have owned windows-based computers my entire life, and have never encountered a problem (minus a fried harddrive 4 years ago, which can happen to any computer). For those of you tooting the "mac's are better" horn, maybe for people who have very low computer IQs (ie. just discovered the drag and drop function). Otherwise, you're paying for stability that can be found on Windows with a little common sense.

I applaud Mac for charging insane amounts for similarly specced computers on a OS that is very limiting, because there are people who are literally PC (and perhaps technology) inept, and can't understand that clicking on shit that you probably shouldn't could lead to something bad.

/rant

To stay on topic... Like Desertfox said, there is now way that a Mac is objectively a better computer than a PC, especially for the price.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

From a financial perspective, macs suck.

If you want a low-maintenance, nontemperamental computer that just works, a mac is for you.

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I've definitely expanded my focus beyond the Acer Timeline. The Asus and Lenovo brands seem to make pretty good products. I haven't really heard that much about Asus- any experiences? Also, why are so many people advocating the Lenovo? Is the build quality that much more superior?

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:45 pm

Oh, and in typical TLS fashion, thanks to all the people who ignored the initial post of the entire thread and suggested I fork over $2,000 for an overpriced Mac. :wink:

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:47 pm

HBK wrote:Thanks everyone for the great info.

I've definitely expanded my focus beyond the Acer Timeline. The Asus and Lenovo brands seem to make pretty good products. I haven't really heard that much about Asus- any experiences? Also, why are so many people advocating the Lenovo? Is the build quality that much more superior?

Asus seems to do well in reliability surveys.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 pm

I went with the Acer Timeline for the low cost and awesome battery life.

weee

Postby weee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm

Sorry to thread hijack but I have a massive VAIO desktop replacement type laptop with 16.4" screen, is this just going to be too much of a pain to lug around? I am thinking I should look for an ultimate bargain priced laptop at 13" or so and use the big one as backup in case it dies, to save myself some hassle. Maybe I would bring the big bad one out for exams since it has a keyboard I really like, thoughts?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

As I mentioned in a prior post, I've been pleasantly surprised that for something like $350, my new Asus actually appears to be a well made/designed computer, especially for basic use. And the battery life is fantastic. The 92% full-size keyboard might be a little small for some, but it's OK for me.

dlac

Postby dlac » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm

weee wrote:Sorry to thread hijack but I have a massive VAIO desktop replacement type laptop with 16.4" screen, is this just going to be too much of a pain to lug around? I am thinking I should look for an ultimate bargain priced laptop at 13" or so and use the big one as backup in case it dies, to save myself some hassle. Maybe I would bring the big bad one out for exams since it has a keyboard I really like, thoughts?

I would recommend looking for a smaller laptop or even netbook (with a larger keyboard) for carrying around campus on a day-to-day basis. For exams you could definitely go with the behemoth for the larger screen size/comfortable keyboard factor.

From what I've seen, everyone has huuuuge backpacks in LS due to the size of the casebooks. No need to add an extra 8 lbs to that. I guess it wouldn't matter if you had one of those roller things though...

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:44 pm

HBK wrote:Oh, and in typical TLS fashion, thanks to all the people who ignored the initial post of the entire thread and suggested I fork over $2,000 for an overpriced Mac. :wink:

In a typical TLS fashion, you imagine up some fantasy world where a student's Macbook costs $2,000 and only offers cosmetic benefits over some Taiwanese plastic box, and then you act like a total douche about it.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:49 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:
HBK wrote:Oh, and in typical TLS fashion, thanks to all the people who ignored the initial post of the entire thread and suggested I fork over $2,000 for an overpriced Mac. :wink:

In a typical TLS fashion, you imagine up some fantasy world where a student's Macbook costs $2,000 and only offers cosmetic benefits over some Taiwanese plastic box, and then you act like a total douche about it.

You do know that Macbooks are made by Taiwanese manufacturers right?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:51 pm

boss wrote:
singingvontrapp wrote:

You do know that Macbooks are made by Taiwanese manufacturers right?

Dude that Intel chipset in his apple is much better than the Intel chipset in the dell. His Seagate hdd is so much better than the dells hdd. His toshiba DVD drive is much better than Dell's toshiba DVD drive.

weee

Postby weee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:01 pm

dlac wrote:
weee wrote:Sorry to thread hijack but I have a massive VAIO desktop replacement type laptop with 16.4" screen, is this just going to be too much of a pain to lug around? I am thinking I should look for an ultimate bargain priced laptop at 13" or so and use the big one as backup in case it dies, to save myself some hassle. Maybe I would bring the big bad one out for exams since it has a keyboard I really like, thoughts?

I would recommend looking for a smaller laptop or even netbook (with a larger keyboard) for carrying around campus on a day-to-day basis. For exams you could definitely go with the behemoth for the larger screen size/comfortable keyboard factor.

From what I've seen, everyone has huuuuge backpacks in LS due to the size of the casebooks. No need to add an extra 8 lbs to that. I guess it wouldn't matter if you had one of those roller things though...

I think I'll wait until I've settled in to my new apt before I order it, but considering my back problems, lightening the load is a must.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 pm

CG614 wrote:Also, beware that some schools exam software is not compatible with Mac. Period.

Wrong. Any new Mac has Intel chips and can run Windows 7 (or earlier versions) through BootCamp. I'm typing on a MacBookPro right now (which I bought for $800 cash), but I could easily reboot into Windows 7 and run any Windows-only exam software I need to.

So the whole "Macs can't run all the software" stuff is outdated, and has been for years.

OP wanted to know what computers he could get for $500-800. As I wrote earlier, he could get a used MBP with a 2+ghz processor for that price range. But if he wants to go PC, go for it.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Here's what you do. Buy a cheap PC laptop, focusing on the processor and quality of the display/keyboard (quiet keys!) as your priorities, and then if you want, swap out the HD for an SSD. Or if you like Macs, buy the 13'' macbook for sub 1000.

You can get a good 14'' Lenovo for 600, and an absolute top-of-the-line SSD for 225 (and you don't NEED top of the line). Buy yourself a sweet backpack and throw a party with the money you save. Or buy a Mac and walk around kicking babies and stealing from the homeless, I'm sure that's fun too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834146725

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Panther7

Re: Best lawl skool Laptop for the Money

Postby Panther7 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:50 am

any thoughts on the Lenovo ThinkPad T410?

I'm leaning towards it, but i'm not sure if i should be dropping 1150.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:09 am

creamedcats wrote:Here's what you do. Buy a cheap PC laptop, focusing on the processor and quality of the display/keyboard (quiet keys!) as your priorities, and then if you want, swap out the HD for an SSD. Or if you like Macs, buy the 13'' macbook for sub 1000.

You can get a good 14'' Lenovo for 600, and an absolute top-of-the-line SSD for 225 (and you don't NEED top of the line). Buy yourself a sweet backpack and throw a party with the money you save. Or buy a Mac and walk around kicking babies and stealing from the homeless, I'm sure that's fun too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834146725

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Aside from the silence and lack of moving parts are there any other advantages to SDD? How do they compare in speed with a 7200 RPM drive? I remember reading something about there not being much of an improvement at all with speed and that many of the SDD (I think Dell in particular) were having excessive technical difficulties. Of course that was a while back, have they fixed/improved these things?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 am

Torvon wrote:Aside from the silence and lack of moving parts are there any other advantages to SDD? How do they compare in speed with a 7200 RPM drive? I remember reading something about there not being much of an improvement at all with speed and that many of the SDD (I think Dell in particular) were having excessive technical difficulties. Of course that was a while back, have they fixed/improved these things?

An SSD is supposed to be much, much faster than a standard HDD.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 am

kalvano wrote:
Torvon wrote:Aside from the silence and lack of moving parts are there any other advantages to SDD? How do they compare in speed with a 7200 RPM drive? I remember reading something about there not being much of an improvement at all with speed and that many of the SDD (I think Dell in particular) were having excessive technical difficulties. Of course that was a while back, have they fixed/improved these things?

It is. It's basically the same technology that exists in a flash drive, for those wondering (with some exceptions, of course).

In addition to being faster, it has no moving parts, so your laptop stays cooler and gets better battery life. Probably not shocking increases in either spec, but it's there. I would love to get one, but they're really overpriced/undersized right now despite all their advantages.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am

singingvontrapp wrote:
HBK wrote:Oh, and in typical lishi fashion, thanks to all the people who ignored the initial post of the entire thread and suggested I fork over $2,000 for an overpriced Mac. :wink:

In a typical lishi fashion, you imagine up some fantasy world where a student's Macbook costs $2,000 and only offers cosmetic benefits over some Taiwanese plastic box, and then you act like a total douche about it.

Excellent trolling, 8.5/10

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes, the Thinkpad (not other Lenovo brands) is really that superior in terms of build quality + good value.

Like I said this was the case two years ago, maybe something has changed since then.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It is. It's basically the same technology that exists in a flash drive, for those wondering (with some exceptions, of course).

In addition to being faster, it has no moving parts, so your laptop stays cooler and gets better battery life. Probably not shocking increases in either spec, but it's there. I would love to get one, but they're really overpriced/undersized right now despite all their advantages.

A good SSD changes your user experience in a way that not many other computer upgrades do. It's one of those "Ooooo" moments when you can boot your computer from cold to go in 10-15 seconds. For an office app heavy computer, a good processor paired with a decent SSD will do wonders, and it should not cost you a lot. Anti glare screen, quiet keyboard...done. Don't drop it.

SSD = not essential by any means, I just love them

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm

I wouldn't go larger than 14" for daily hauling. I have a 14" and I think it's perfect, but I have bigger hands. The problem with going smaller than 14" is that I think they tend to cost more for what you get because the design is different and you are getting into a different range of products.

The 14" thinkpad is called the T400.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”