Best Law School Laptop for the Money Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burvowski

Bronze

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Worried about viruses on your computer? I've got a simple guide for you:

Are you type of user to click anything that asks you to click on the internet?

If you are browsing, and a pop up comes up that says you might have a virus, CLICK HERE NOW TO FIX IT, would you click it?

Would you double click any file forwarded to your email without double checking where it came from or the file format? Would you click that file named "FUNNY PHOTO!FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW" from your aunt?

Would you install downloaded software without reading user reviews and simply going by the developer's description?

If your answer was yes to any of the above questions, then get a Mac. If you answered no to all of them, then you're fine and shouldn't ever get a virus on your Windows PC anyways.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue May 04, 2010 6:37 pm

burvowski wrote:Worried about viruses on your computer? I've got a simple guide for you:

If you are browsing, and a pop up comes up that says you might have a virus, CLICK HERE NOW TO FIX IT, would you click it?

Would you double click any file forwarded to your email without double checking where it came from or the file format? Would you click that file named "FUNNY PHOTO!FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW" from your aunt?

Would you install downloaded software without reading user reviews and simply going by the developer's description?

If your answer was yes to any of the above questions, then get a Mac. If you answered no to all of them, then you're fine and shouldn't ever get a virus on your Windows PC anyways.
This information was pertinent five years ago. Running Windows 7 and any reputable auto-updating antivirus these days (Microsoft Security Essentials is actually at the top of the heap,) viruses are completely a thing of the past. Even for idiot users.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:53 pm

vexion wrote:
burvowski wrote:Worried about viruses on your computer? I've got a simple guide for you:

This information was pertinent five years ago. Running Windows 7 and any reputable auto-updating antivirus these days (Microsoft Security Essentials is actually at the top of the heap,) viruses are completely a thing of the past. Even for idiot users.
Unfortunately, that's not the case with people who refuse to update Internet Explorer 6.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:Unfortunately, that's not the case with people who refuse to update Internet Explorer 6.
New PCs don't come with IE6. And considering the point of this thread, anyone who uses IE6 willingly doesn't deserve to go to law school.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 am

kalvano wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:I mean tell me what Macs get viruses!

That's not due to any superiority of the Mac OS over Windows. It's due to the fact that hackers just don't give a shit enough about the Mac to bother. It makes up such a small percentage of the overall computer users that making a virus for it is a waste of time.

lol... TITCFR. no one disputes that macs are less prone to viruses than PCs, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people think this is due to the "superior design" of mac OS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm

irie wrote:
kalvano wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:I mean tell me what Macs get viruses!

That's not due to any superiority of the Mac OS over Windows. It's due to the fact that hackers just don't give a shit enough about the Mac to bother. It makes up such a small percentage of the overall computer users that making a virus for it is a waste of time.

lol... TITCFR. no one disputes that macs are less prone to viruses than PCs, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people think this is due to the "superior design" of mac OS.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20060513

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Chupavida wrote:...without considering perks like OSX
Not a perk.
Chupavida wrote:With the possible exception of Lenovos for certain business applications, and Asus (among others) laptops for gaming, Macs are hands down the best choice for a laptop if you can afford the price point.
What else are you using a laptop for? It's either business or gaming. "School" falls under business: You're running Office. And don't feed me that "lifestyle computer" crap. Stop creaming yourself over crap like iMovie. l2 Adobe Premiere Pro.
Chupavida wrote:I have an overclocked, quad-core, triple-head godbox of a Windows 7 machine for a desktop, and a 13" MBP for school/travel.
Personally, I have an overclocked, dual-core, decent GPU demigodbox of a Windows 7 machine for a desktop, and a 14" Thinkpad for school/travel. So for school I get Microsoft Office, OneNote, and a superior OS. I resent being told I'm "irrationally hating" on Macs. I dislike Macs because they're inferior products. If you have to have a $1,500 machine with a hard-to-type-on chiclet keyboard, get one of those new Dell Adamos. I won't deny that construction quality and support add value (a lot of value.) And that Apple are near the top of the heap. But they're still not #1. I can get comparable support (next business day on-site for three years) from Lenovo or Dell. I think my Thinkpad has better build quality than a MBP, although I know that plenty of PC manufacturers skimp.

And as far as the "non-techie people who ask for advice all the time," the first time one of the internal components breaks on that iMac you recommended, they can't crack the case open and warranty just that part. They'll be shipping the whole thing back to Apple. It's the 2010s: there shouldn't be any more non-techie people under a certain age. Do your part and start educating these people instead of coddling them.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 pm

vexion wrote:
Not a perk.
Chupavida wrote:With the possible exception of Lenovos for certain business applications, and Asus (among others) laptops for gaming, Macs are hands down the best choice for a laptop if you can afford the price point.
What else are you using a laptop for? It's either business or gaming. "School" falls under business: You're running Office. And don't feed me that "lifestyle computer" crap. Stop creaming yourself over crap like iMovie. l2 Adobe Premiere Pro.
Chupavida wrote:I have an overclocked, quad-core, triple-head godbox of a Windows 7 machine for a desktop, and a 13" MBP for school/travel.
Personally, I have an overclocked, dual-core, decent GPU demigodbox of a Windows 7 machine for a desktop, and a 14" Thinkpad for school/travel. So for school I get Microsoft Office, OneNote, and a superior OS. I resent being told I'm "irrationally hating" on Macs. I dislike Macs because they're inferior products. If you have to have a $1,500 machine with a hard-to-type-on chiclet keyboard, get one of those new Dell Adamos. I won't deny that construction quality and support add value (a lot of value.) And that Apple are near the top of the heap. But they're still not #1. I can get comparable support (next business day on-site for three years) from Lenovo or Dell. I think my Thinkpad has better build quality than a MBP, although I know that plenty of PC manufacturers skimp.

And as far as the "non-techie people who ask for advice all the time," the first time one of the internal components breaks on that iMac you recommended, they can't crack the case open and warranty just that part. They'll be shipping the whole thing back to Apple. It's the 2010s: there shouldn't be any more non-techie people under a certain age. Do your part and start educating these people instead of coddling them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Chupavida wrote:
vexion wrote:
Not a perk.

Rather than posting a simple "umad," I'll see if I can reply to some of your assertions.

OSX is most certainly a perk. If you had ever spent an extended amount of time with a mac I'm fairly sure you'd agree with me. The combination of GUI refinements (which Win 7 has done a fair job of imitating to its benefit, with the exception of spaces, time machine, and a few others), and the power of a unix core (a real command line, user level security--poorly copied with UAC), as well as the superior "lifestyle" software, make it a good choice for anyone with the 20 minutes to learn how to use it. Without a specific need for windows like proprietary enterprise software, or serious gaming needs (both of which are manageable on a mac anyway), a MBP is the best option in its price range.

You mock the supposed "lifestyle" demographic, and yet that's what the vast majority of computer users actually are. We're talking about people who have a computer for facebook, managing their photos, and maybe playing a popcap game or two. For those people, something like iLife is vastly superior to options available in windows. I'm a big fan of Adobe Premiere, but to say that my mother, or my father's business associates, or my grandma, would be better served by software that costs half as much as the laptop in question is laughable. Or were you suggesting my grandma just torrent it? I've got maybe twenty people like this converted to Apples, and whenever I do, the amount of time I spend doling out free support falls through the floor.

I'm also going to laugh about the "support individual components" concept. Are you telling me that you routinely, and remotely support people through the process of troubleshooting, removing, RMAing, replacing, and installing (drivers, operating systems) individual computer parts? I get requests for help from a huge range of people, and even among people my age, there are only a few who would be capable of something like that. The convenience of a mac lies in the combination of build quality, and the freedom to make an appt at the local Genius Bar for painless support.

Blah blah blah.
Toss in the best touchpad out there, an excellent keyboard, light weight, 10hr battery life, and a sweetass display quality. In my 4 days of use, I've learned to appreciate the benefits of all 5. The touchpad alone figures well into the premium Mac users pay. It really helps boost productivity especially on webpages that require zooming in/out and scrolling flawlessly. Plus it's really nice being able to do stuff effortlessly without a mouse.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri May 07, 2010 10:45 am

I'll probably end up replacing my 2006 Macbook Pro with another Macbook Pro (13 most likely), but did anyone see this announcement from HP of the new Envy 14 / 17 line?

Feature for feature, I think it seems to offer a lot. Tons of battery capacity, core i5 or i7 processor, and a nice form factor. The chart that Desert Fox posted above, though, does drive home the point that HP reliability is a little suspect.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/hp-e ... aves-good/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 am

Acer Aspire One.

You can't beat a netbook that does just about everything and costs less than $300.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:00 am

missinglink wrote:I'll probably end up replacing my 2006 Macbook Pro with another Macbook Pro (13 most likely), but did anyone see this announcement from HP of the new Envy 14 / 17 line?

Feature for feature, I think it seems to offer a lot. Tons of battery capacity, core i5 or i7 processor, and a nice form factor. The chart that Desert Fox posted above, though, does drive home the point that HP reliability is a little suspect.

Some factors to consider:

1. How's the touchpad? It's just recently companies like Asus are STARTING to catch up with Apple
2. Dimensions/Weight - Especially with that discrete GPU, things are going to get heavy. 5.25lbs. Thickness? We don't know yet.
3. Screen quality - Once again, unknown. But I'd expect the Envy 14 to have a respectable screen if HP wants it to be a luxury screen.
4. Battery life - As long as you don't need to use the dedicated GPU for school stuff, you should be fine.
5. Build construction - I played with an Envy 15 at BestBuy. It seemed alright, though the MBP 13 seems better for aesthetics and thinness.
6. OS - if it's not that important, this should be a nonissue.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 pm

zeth006 wrote: 1. How's the touchpad? It's just recently companies like Asus are STARTING to catch up with Apple
source?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:48 pm

burvowski wrote:
zeth006 wrote: 1. How's the touchpad? It's just recently companies like Asus are STARTING to catch up with Apple
source?
I've used and fiddled with laptops over the years. It's only recently we've started seeing 2-finger scrolling on Asuses. I guess it's just anecdotal evidence but really, I've been critical of the way Synaptics took forever to implement stuff Apple had for years.

And you're hearing this from someone who hasn't had his Mac for more than a week!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 pm

I still want a weigh in on the sunlight question.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Hope I didn't come off as a fanboy. The HP Envy 15 inside is a beautiful piece of machinery. It actually uses dedicated fans for its GPU and its CPU!!! You won't see that in any $600-800 gaming notebook machine for sure.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm

missinglink wrote:I'll probably end up replacing my 2006 Macbook Pro with another Macbook Pro (13 most likely), but did anyone see this announcement from HP of the new Envy 14 / 17 line?

HP reliability is a little suspect. I owned (still own, actually) an HP Pavillion DV1000, which was a great machine, but had really weird problems with the CPU fan. The original fan lasted a good two years and then spectularly (and loudly) went out. I replaced it. For $40 + shipping and handling I got a new CPU fan on ebay and found it more-than-easy to install using HP's pubically-available service manual. Of course, that fan burnt out in about a year (which I still don't really understand), so I had to replace it again. Was this inconvenient? Yes. Was it hardware failure? Yes. Was it cheap to fix and plausible for anyone with a small screwdrive and an internet connection? Yes.

Look, I'm probably going to get a 13'' macbookpro (I, too, have an i7 beast of a desktop). But if "reliability" is an issue for you, I suggest you explore a little deeper. Hardware failure can be anything from a corrupted hdd to a failed wireless card. One is devastating, one is simply annoying.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:

HP reliability is a little suspect. I owned (still own, actually) an HP Pavillion DV1000, which was a great machine, but had really weird problems with the CPU fan. The original fan lasted a good two years and then spectularly (and loudly) went out. I replaced it. For $40 + shipping and handling I got a new CPU fan on ebay and found it more-than-easy to install using HP's pubically-available service manual. Of course, that fan burnt out in about a year (which I still don't really understand), so I had to replace it again. Was this inconvenient? Yes. Was it hardware failure? Yes. Was it cheap to fix and plausible for anyone with a small screwdrive and an internet connection? Yes.

Look, I'm probably going to get a 13'' macbookpro (I, too, have an i7 beast of a desktop). But if "reliability" is an issue for you, I suggest you explore a little deeper. Hardware failure can be anything from a corrupted hdd to a failed wireless card. One is devastating, one is simply annoying.

Or better yet, pay a little extra for a 3-year Squaretrade Warranty. As long as you're not in a hurry, you can always wait within the 30 day period for the periodic SQ coupon discount that pops up,

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm

vexion wrote: Personally, I have an overclocked, dual-core, decent GPU demigodbox of a Windows 7 machine for a desktop, and a 14" Thinkpad for school/travel. So for school I get Microsoft Office, OneNote, and a superior OS.
You lost me here, because I'm admittedly tech deficient. It the superior OS of which you speak Windows 7, or some kind of base system a person should upgrade to???

Sorry in advance for being dumb. It's just how I roll.

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Fri May 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Any love for Sony Vaios? Any reason to avoid them?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm

ArthurEdens wrote:Any love for Sony Vaios? Any reason to avoid them?
No. They're known for style and build construction alongside Apples. The Sony Vaio Y is respectable as a budget ultraportable. Among all laptops, the Sony Vaio Z is one to drool over. At just over 3 pounds with its sexy carbon composite fiber composite construction and a standard SSD, it is truly the notebook of all notebooks. Too bad it starts at $1,900.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ArthurEdens wrote:Any love for Sony Vaios? Any reason to avoid them?
No. They're known for style and build construction alongside Apples. The Sony Vaio Y is respectable as a budget ultraportable. Among all laptops, the Sony Vaio Z is one to drool over. At just over 3 pounds with its sexy carbon composite fiber composite construction and a standard SSD, it is truly the notebook of all notebooks. Too bad it starts at $1,900.
I've been looking for a reason to justify a $2,000 laptop, but I can't do it. Unless it'll help run SC 2 better. :mrgreen:

It's definitely a drool-worthy: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony ... -s-review/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”