Best Law School Laptop for the Money Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
barkingbug

New

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Post by barkingbug » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 pm

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 4F1DB57C85

the middle option is the lenovo that i mentioned... yes, you could wait and potentially get a back to school special offer from apple (or not), but $370 is the deal now assuming you are able to get $100 off the mac with an education discount. it does have 3gb ram rather than 4 and the battery life probably is not quite as good. other than that, it seems to be as good or better in every way.

barkingbug

New

Post by barkingbug » Mon May 03, 2010 11:34 pm

also, there are some good deals on lenevo's student discount site.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 am

Glad to see you guys are enjoying your lenovos. I'm typing away on my Mac which just arrived today. Keyboard and touchpad quality are the best among all laptops I've never used and owned. The screen's up to par--definitely one of the best. Weight's slightly on the heavier side but doable at 4.5lbs. It's certainly a learning curve to conquer. I'm still learning how to use some of the apps.

Now I just need to experiment with VMware and bootcamp.

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:12 am

This is going to seem like a terrible thing to say...

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but I thought I knew a little here and there. I have never heard of Lenovo. Is this a good brand? Is it better than, say, HP or Dell for a comp? Why have I never heard of it?

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 am

mac user: "pcs suck cause like i get mad shit done on my itunes and iphoto, i'm such a power user, follow my lead i know what i'm talking about."

what a bunch of know nothings.

i couldn't imagine purchasing a mac before they shifted to x86 and allowed users to boot/emulate windows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 4:31 am

SAOJD10 wrote:I just picked up a 13' Macbook Pro, pretty good stuff (it just works). I hope i dont qualify as a weird Mac owner now
parroting meaningless marketing slogans doesn't make you weird at all, bro. :roll:

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:43 am

CCN wrote:mac user: "pcs suck cause like i get mad shit done on my itunes and iphoto, i'm such a power user, follow my lead i know what i'm talking about."

i couldn't imagine purchasing a mac before they shifted to x86 and allowed users to boot/emulate windows.

If it bothers you so much, then don't buy it. Simple as that.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 4:50 am

mpasi wrote:
Rejection Phobia wrote:I really want to buy a Macbook Pro, mainly because of the styling, battery life, and the fact you can run OSX & 7.
Definitely not the best laptop for the money though.

It's an investment. I've had minor repairs done in the almost two years I've had mine. Most PC laptops only last two or three years. Macs last five or six. My PC laptops always had some kind of issue or another. A couple were recurrent, and getting them fixed was not cheap. Not only that, but HP and Toshiba are both assholes when it comes to what their warranties cover. Apple is fairly lenient. Yeah, they're pricey, but I'd rather spend the money on something that I know will last and won't be a pain in the ass to fix.

Apple figures out the windows compatibility conundrum "pretty quickly" whenever "pretty quickly" is defined as a decade or so.
Macs last longer, wherever your arbitrary guessing skills come into play.
PCs are prone to having issues, whenever end user decides to launch software written by Apple (see itunes, safari).
Applecare is lenient, whenever your expectations for warranty supported repairs are nonexistant.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 4:52 am

zeth006 wrote:
CCN wrote:mac user: "pcs suck cause like i get mad shit done on my itunes and iphoto, i'm such a power user, follow my lead i know what i'm talking about."

"it" = apple fanboys. so i'm just chiming in on their ignorance. that's all.. mac pros are alright. but for a student on a budget, they're definitely not TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:56 am

CCN wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

"it" = apple fanboys. so i'm just chiming in on their ignorance. that's all.. mac pros are alright. but for a student on a budget, they're definitely not TCR.

Obviously you're completely bored if you're just chiming in here just to troll and insult Mac users. Oh well. It's almost 2am here. I should go to bed.

Hopefully you're getting paid enough at whatever job you work at. Nightie night.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 5:02 am

zeth006 wrote:
CCN wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Obviously you're completely bored if you're just chiming in here just to troll and insult Mac users. Oh well. It's almost 2am here. I should go to bed.

Hopefully you're getting paid enough at whatever job you work at. Nightie night.
Thanks for the warm wishes. Hopefully Daddy's pension didn't get rocked hard enough during the recession. You shouldn't have to learn the value of a dollar at the tender age of 25. Poor kid.

boss

New

Post by boss » Tue May 04, 2010 6:37 am

There is a certain irony of having one of Apple's main selling point be that it can run Windows.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 am

Grad09 wrote:This is going to seem like a terrible thing to say...

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but I thought I knew a little here and there. I have never heard of Lenovo. Is this a good brand? Is it better than, say, HP or Dell for a comp? Why have I never heard of it?
Lenovo is primarily known, I think, for their business laptops. The Thinkpads, along with the Dell Latitudes, comprise the vast majority of laptops in the business world, especially those given to you by IT. Lenovo bought IBM's PC division back in 2005, so what used to be the IBM Thinkpad is now the Lenovo Thinkpad. I hear their customer service has suffered for the merger, but then I never owned an IBM Thinkpad. And the hardware is still supposed to be just as highly-praised.

I like my Thinkpad because of the incredible build quality, the comfortable keyboard, the speed, the security features, the bright screen, the decent-if-not-huge battery life, and the fact that it cuts away all the crap I don't need - a dedicated graphics card, a lot of storage, or flashy accentuation all over the thing.

Lenovo also makes a number of desktops, workstations and servers, but I can't vouch for any of those. But the Thinkpad series gets rave reviews from users who want a no-nonsense, durable, reliable laptop. You can't go wrong with any of them, just pick your price point/feature set.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 am

boss wrote:There is a certain irony of having one of Apple's main selling point be that it can run Windows better than any PC.
FTFY.

This entire discussion is really silly. If you would like the PC discount then take advantage of it. PCs are worse machines, but they cost significantly less. We get it--you're an awesome responsible person because you didn't pay that much for your computer. Awesome. Who cares? Plenty of rational actors go out into the market and choose both ways. That indicates to me that both options have merits. Anyone who says differently, is a know-nothing. Buy whatever you like and don't throw sand at the other side. No other 'brand-war' seems to engender this level of stupidity. Not Coke v. Pepsi; not BMW v. Mercedes; nothing really accept maybe video game systems, which would suggest to me that the only people who have these stupid arguments are children. That is all.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am

zeth006 wrote:The screen's up to par--definitely one of the best.
Can you do me a favor? Can you go out and use it in bright sunlight and let me know how well it holds up?

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 am

Cheaper than a 13" MBP at $1000:

--LinkRemoved--
Features include an Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz quad-core processor, 16.4" 1600x900 widescreen LCD, 2GB RAM, 320GB 5400 rpm hard drive, Blu-ray player / DVD burner, NVIDIA GeForce 310M 512MB video card, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, webcam, HDMI output, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
core i7 quad core, 1600 x 900 screen, blu-ray, and HDMI output (don't have to pay a premium to use the mac's output adapter which should be free anyways)

hell yeah, i'd take that

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Tue May 04, 2010 10:28 am

Grad09 wrote:This is going to seem like a terrible thing to say...

Lenovo is a chinese company, they are probably the biggest computer manufacturer by market share in China and Asia-pacific. You likely haven't heard of them because many of their better known product lines are still under the IBM brand name. If you've heard of ThinkPads and IdeaPads... those are actually owned and built by lenovo, which bought the IBM computer line a few years ago.

Lenovos/ThinkPads are the industry standard issued to employees of most investment banks, consulting firms, law firms, and large corporations, as well as most small businesses.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 am

Is there any reason to pay more for Windows Professional?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 04, 2010 10:52 am

Rand M. wrote:
boss wrote:There is a certain irony of having one of Apple's main selling point be that it can run Windows better than any PC.
FTFY.

If you would like the PC discount then take advantage of it. PCs are worse machines, but they cost significantly less. No other 'brand-war' seems to engender this level of stupidity. Not Coke v. Pepsi; not BMW v. Mercedes
Quoted for irony. BMW's aren't inferior to Mercedes. PC's are not inferior to Macs, in fact, a competent PC owner can do things with their computer that leave Macs in the dust. Just for evidence sake, I'm running a PC machine that costs 1/2 the price of a Mac and it's benchmarks would make any Mac fanboy cry. Never had, and never will have any major issues, because I understand how computers work.

Cute try, though. I like the ironic ignorance of your post (thinking you know what you're talking about, but don't, making you the same as the people you try to put down).

If you're an idiot, buy a Mac because you won't break it. If you have a brain, and understand computers, PC's are the not only better, but can be more powerful/reliable/useful than any shitty overpriced Mac. /thread
Last edited by beach_terror on Tue May 04, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 am

Allright, I'm going to settle this/blow all your minds:

PC stands for personal computer. Every single Mac is a PC. Not all PCs are Macs. When you say PC vs Mac, you are essentially saying PC vs PC. They all have the same components made in Taiwan. Debate over.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

beach_terror wrote:/thread
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. You really cleared all that up for us. We are all better off now.

Seriously, I just don't care all that much either way and I don't get why two sides can't both offer suggestions to those looking for them without all the rest of it. That was my only point. Whatever kind of computer you decide to buy is probably the right choice. Most people tend to be happy with theirs, and if you're not, do something different.
Last edited by Rand M. on Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

burvowski wrote:Allright, I'm going to settle this/blow all your minds:

PC stands for personal computer. Every single Mac is a PC. Not all PCs are Macs. When you say PC vs Mac, you are essentially saying PC vs PC. They all have the same components made in Taiwan. Debate over.
Now, I'll blow your mind. You realize that the debate is windows vs mac. PC is just a shorthand way of saying Windows in this context. It's an OS debate. Which as evidenced by this thread, not many are qualified to be in.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue May 04, 2010 11:02 am

I love how "Best Law School Laptop for the Money" has turned into a Mac v. PC pissing match.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 11:03 am

beach_terror wrote:

Now, I'll blow your mind. You realize that the debate is windows vs mac. PC is just a shorthand way of saying Windows in this context. It's an OS debate. Which as evidenced by this thread, not many are qualified to be in.
It is easy to install Windows on a Mac. It is easy to install OS X on a non-Mac. Importance of Mac vs PC debate? 0 / 100

(PS: Linux > all)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 am

burvowski wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

It is easy to install Windows on a Mac. It is easy to install OS X on a non-Mac. Importance of Mac vs PC debate? 0 / 100

(PS: Linux > all)
Once again, not that I particularly enjoy this debate, you're missing the point. The hardware is irrelevant. It's the pros/cons of the design of Windows (7) and Mac (OSX). Hopefully you understand this time. Since the reading comp seems to be failing... ITT: Mac fanboys defend their OS against windows fanboys... with both sides (for the most part) using faulty evidence.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”