Best Law School Laptop for the Money Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bustang

Bronze

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Post by Bustang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just ordered the Edge, mainly due to the cost. Got it standard across the board, I'll toss on win7 professional and the 2007 office suite on when I get it. The only thing I'm not happy about is its not shipping until 7/22.. that wait time is a bit crazy, imo.
Mine shipped 6/25 when it said it was going to ship 7/5

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Thinkpad. It's not thin. It's not pretty. It's built for a lumberjack's rough hands.

But remember this: When your laptop gets dropped on the floor on the way to take your finals, the laptop you choose will decide if you've just failed the class or not.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:31 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Thinkpad. It's not thin. It's not pretty. It's built for a lumberjack's rough hands.

But remember this: When your laptop gets dropped on the floor on the way to take your finals, the laptop you choose will decide if you've just failed the class or not.
This example is a bit extreme, but the principle behind it holds true. The plastic macbook I bought became very disappointing after a year of ownership. The plastic body chipped, broke and felt very flimsy when I moved it around. After 4 years of use, the wireless card barely works, the keyboard flexes too much and there are small areas of the unibody where the plastic broke off and left holes. The age old saying remains true: You get what you pay for. The ThinkPad is built like a tank. I'm hoping it will last me through law school with no qualms. I think the edge is built better than the entry level dells/sonys etc, but there is a qualitative difference for the extra $200.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Bustang wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Thinkpad. It's not thin. It's not pretty. It's built for a lumberjack's rough hands.

This example is a bit extreme, but the principle behind it holds true. The plastic macbook I bought became very disappointing after a year of ownership. The plastic body chipped, broke and felt very flimsy when I moved it around. After 4 years of use, the wireless card barely works, the keyboard flexes too much and there are small areas of the unibody where the plastic broke off and left holes. The age old saying remains true: You get what you pay for. The ThinkPad is built like a tank. I'm hoping it will last me through law school with no qualms. I think the edge is built better than the entry level dells/sonys etc, but there is a qualitative difference for the extra $200.
Your example holds true. Where Apple wants you to buy a new MacBook roughly every over revise(every 2 years), Lenovo/IBM makes the Thinkpad to be rugged and last as long as possible to make it sensible for a corporation to put down a 2,000 unit order for their corporation(Think: at&t). You can also buy a Thinkpad through the outlet(http://outlet.lenovo.com) to save on the premium over an normal laptop. These laptops are built to take punishment, albeit - not like a Panasonic Toughbook. The Thinkpad is a good agreement between price, reliability, and power at any rate.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:00 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Bustang wrote:

Your example holds true. Where Apple wants you to buy a new MacBook roughly every over revise(every 2 years), Lenovo/IBM makes the Thinkpad to be rugged and last as long as possible to make it sensible for a corporation to put down a 2,000 unit order for their corporation(Think: at&t). You can also buy a Thinkpad through the outlet(http://outlet.lenovo.com) to save on the premium over an normal laptop. These laptops are built to take punishment, albeit - not like a Panasonic Toughbook. The Thinkpad is a good agreement between price, reliability, and power at any rate.

Wish I had $3-4k to spend on a Panasonic Toughbook......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:12 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Bustang wrote:

Wish I had $3-4k to spend on a Panasonic Toughbook......
Yeah, I hear you can shield yourself from a grenade with one of the higher end models.

But seriously - for a student or lawyer to need it.. he'd have to be going to the Middle East or something in which case you can use it as cover against grenades :shock:

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 pm

At that point, a higher risk for alcoholism, divorce, and suicide are the least of his worries.

I hear that a Toughbook was once used to block a bullet.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Yep. I believe it only failed once they got to the bigger caliber rifles.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:09 am

If you're getting a Lenovo, make sure to utilize the student discount. You can combine it with the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS for an additional 5% off. I'm getting the T410 upgraded to 4GB with a 3 YR Onsite Warranty for a little under $1200.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:42 am

JOThompson wrote:If you're getting a Lenovo, make sure to utilize the student discount. You can combine it with the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS for an additional 5% off. I'm getting the T410 upgraded to 4GB with a 3 YR Onsite Warranty for a little under $1200.

That is awesome.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 am

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

kalvano wrote:
JOThompson wrote:If you're getting a Lenovo, make sure to utilize the student discount. You can combine it with the checkout code USXSUMMERSAVINGS for an additional 5% off. I'm getting the T410 upgraded to 4GB with a 3 YR Onsite Warranty for a little under $1200.

That is awesome.
Indeed. Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably looking into an SL-series for myself.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 pm

kalvano wrote:

That is awesome.
Are you still going with the Edge?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
kalvano wrote:

That is awesome.
Are you still going with the Edge?

Like I said, I don't need it to survive nuclear warfare. I haven't really seen anything in the T-series to make it worth the extra money to me.

My goal is as thin and light as possible.

So yes, probably. Especially with that coupon code, it makes what I want even less expensive, under $700.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Any thoughts about using SquareTrade for warranties instead of the manufacturer? Experiences?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Squaretrade is pretty good, but not onsite last I checked.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:49 pm

New MBP arrived today and it is sooo pretty. Totally worth $135 for the hi-res antiglare screen, IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:12 am

I bought a really tiny HP Mini 311 with a 11.6" screen. I went to play with them at a computer store and the little screen was fine, and the keyboard is comfortable. I called HP to place the order and they gave me a big discount over the phone.

I already have a 15" laptop and couldn't convince myself to buy something that was just 1-2" smaller to have a pound less in my backpack. If it's miserable when it arrives I'll just keep it as a pet.

fjk88

New

Post by fjk88 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm about to pick up a 15" macbook pro and was wondering if it was worth the extra $45 to upgrade the HDD from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm. Any thoughts?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:54 pm

fjk88 wrote:I'm about to pick up a 15" macbook pro and was wondering if it was worth the extra $45 to upgrade the HDD from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm. Any thoughts?
you gonna use it for playing games, watching movies, stuff like that? Really spped won't matter much for LS stuff, just load times on games and such

fjk88

New

Post by fjk88 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Matthies wrote:
fjk88 wrote:I'm about to pick up a 15" macbook pro and was wondering if it was worth the extra $45 to upgrade the HDD from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm. Any thoughts?
you gonna use it for playing games, watching movies, stuff like that? Really spped won't matter much for LS stuff, just load times on games and such
mainly LS stuff and movies...possibly a game or two if i have the time for it, but i have an xbox for that.
Last edited by fjk88 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Matthies wrote:
If you're *only* going to use it for LS-related stuff - get it with an SSD. Much more reliable and less prone to breaking down over a fall or something. :P

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Quick question before I order - is the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless worth the extra money?

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 pm

kalvano wrote:Quick question before I order - is the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless worth the extra money?
How much?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:52 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:
kalvano wrote:Quick question before I order - is the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless worth the extra money?
How much?

Like $30.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”