Accepted & turning it down- does it hurt my chances later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HWS08

Accepted & turning it down- does it hurt my chances later?

Postby HWS08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:20 pm

I've been accepted to a few schools I wouldn't mind going to, but it looks like due to personal circumstances I'm not going to be going to law school this year. If I turn down these schools (some with good scholarship offers) but reapply in a year or two will I be an auto reject? Do schools look down on doing that? All else being equal do you think I would get scholarship offers from these schools again? I know deferring is an option, but I don't know which school I would go to next year (all in different regions of the country) and I don't really want to try to defer at three different schools, since I think you still have to pay the seat deposits.

I know I've seen a thread on this subject before but I couldn't find it, so sorry if I am being repetitive here. Thanks for your advice.

PlugInBaby

Re: Accepted & turning it down- does it hurt my chances later?

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I believe per a statement from Dean Krent in UIUC that he doesn't mind the first time, but if the applicant does it again he will have questions. So from that I don't think a one time thing would be that bad.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Why aren't you going to law school?

It seems that the answer to this question, in an addendum for future applications, will be the determining factor for re-acceptances to the schools you turned down.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:35 pm

CMDantes wrote:Why aren't you going to law school?

It seems that the answer to this question, in an addendum for future applications, will be the determining factor for re-acceptances to the schools you turned down.

The problem is that I don't think my reason would make a very compelling addendum...basically my long term long distance bf and I are trying to end up in the same city and it just doesn't look like he is going to know where he will land a job/what area we want to commit to living in for the next 3-5 years before the seat deposits are due (the deadline for some schools is Thursday). I know that's definitely not considered a good reason on TLS. I did just get a promotion at work so I suppose I could use wanting to take advantage of the new opportunities that brings as my addendum instead.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I believe per a statement from Dean Krent in UIUC that he doesn't mind the first time, but if the applicant does it again he will have questions. So from that I don't think a one time thing would be that bad.

Who is Dean Krent?

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:38 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I believe per a statement from Dean Krent in UIUC that he doesn't mind the first time, but if the applicant does it again he will have questions. So from that I don't think a one time thing would be that bad.

That's helpful. I think the Dean at Berkeley said something like that in an interview too, so that's a little reassuring.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 pm

HWS08 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Why aren't you going to law school?

The problem is that I don't think my reason would make a very compelling addendum...basically my long term long distance bf and I are trying to end up in the same city and it just doesn't look like he is going to know where he will land a job/what area we want to commit to living in for the next 3-5 years before the seat deposits are due (the deadline for some schools is Thursday). I know that's definitely not considered a good reason on TLS. I did just get a promotion at work so I suppose I could use wanting to take advantage of the new opportunities that brings as my addendum instead.

Yeah, I would definitely use the latter in the addendum, but perhaps you wont even need it.

Hope it works out!

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Who is Dean Krent?

Doh! I meant Pless...Krent is the dean at Kent. Eeep sorries!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”