GPA Addendums are borderline pointless

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Generic20101L

GPA Addendums are borderline pointless

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:05 pm

It is what it is.

mbw

Re: GPA Addendums are borderline pointless

Postby mbw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Yeah, my addendum for my 2.83 GPA didn't help a bit...

/sarcasm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Retarded thread. You're telling me that if someone had all A's, but one semester of B's and C's due to their mother dying, close friend committing suicide, etc. that it wouldn't have an impact on the admissions committee? Or if a person had an undiagnosed disability of some sort? Clearly they take that sort of thing into consideration, and there are plenty of stories that will attest to this.

Of course someone with 4/5 years of marginal grades is going to have trouble twisting a story to make up for their laziness. But that is what the LSAT is for; you can outperform your GPA and show them you're capable.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:Retarded thread. You're telling me that if someone had all A's, but one semester of B's and C's due to their mother dying, close friend committing suicide, etc. that it wouldn't have an impact on the admissions committee? Or if a person had an undiagnosed disability of some sort? Clearly they take that sort of thing into consideration, and there are plenty of stories that will attest to this.

Of course someone with 4/5 years of marginal grades is going to have trouble twisting a story to make up for their laziness. But that is what the LSAT is for; you can outperform your GPA and show them you're capable.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

My LSAT did outperform my LSAC GPA.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Generic20101L wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Retarded thread. You're telling me that if someone had all A's, but one semester of B's and C's due to their mother dying, close friend committing suicide, etc. that it wouldn't have an impact on the admissions committee? Or if a person had an undiagnosed disability of some sort? Clearly they take that sort of thing into consideration, and there are plenty of stories that will attest to this.

So what exactly are you saying? What is your gripe? You have a medicre LSAT and a sub-par GPA. Your cycle looks about right.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Generic20101L wrote:

So what exactly are you saying? What is your gripe? You have a medicre LSAT and a sub-par GPA. Your cycle looks about right.

I haven't made a C since 2000 and have a 3.62 Degree GPA and all they care about is the LSAC GPA. That's my gripe. Also, I'm not really proud of my LSAT score but to say it's mediocre is ignorant.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Oh, stop whining. I have a 3.9 "Degree GPA", but that's not what matters. The rules are what they are.

That said, there is definitely room for certain people to write these addenda. I feel like they end up getting "spammed" here on TLS where people want to write one to explain how they were on anxiety pills for one semester, which forced them to get a C in Finance, even though they did really well on the homeworks and understood everything the professor said and never missed a day of class.

These people look at thousands of applications a year. They know how to read a transcript. Just like holes in your Resume, if there's something that clearly needs an explanation, you should provide one.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Z3RO wrote:Oh, stop whining. I have a 3.9 "Degree GPA", but that's not what matters. The rules are what they are.

That said, there is definitely room for certain people to write these addenda. I feel like they end up getting "spammed" here on TLS where people want to write one to explain how they were on anxiety pills for one semester, which forced them to get a C in Finance, even though they did really well on the homeworks and understood everything the professor said and never missed a day of class.

These people look at thousands of applications a year. They know how to read a transcript. Just like holes in your Resume, if there's something that clearly needs an explanation, you should provide one.

I would have had the exact same cycle with no addendum.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm

If you are above or at the LSAT median, and you have a very legit reason (parent dying, medical illness, withdrawal error) that effected one semester I think you might get some help. There is a LSN profile about a girl whose parents died and she had one bad year and 4.0'd the rest. She got into a school she otherwise wouldn't have.

Other than those limited cases, I do not think they make a difference.

I didn't send one for my 2.8.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”