Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school would you choose?

Harvard
35%
Yale
65%

Total votes: 193

qualster

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
RealTalk wrote:not yet but . . . I suspect Harvard as a likely admit . . . .

3.3/164 FTL

What is "FTL?"

Zara

Postby Zara » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:52 pm

from the beginning of my cycle i have always put harvard before yale. and no i am not just saying this because i got into harvard and rejected at yale, hahah. a cursory look at my posting record shows I spent a lot of time in the HLS thread and only posted once or twice in the yale thread. i almost didn't even apply to yale, but a former professor convinced me that I should.

I wanted HLS for a lot of reasons--some of them good and some of them silly. Here are a few of them:

Mostly, I just like the size, the insane amount of opportunities it offered, and the focus on practice as well as theory (as opposed to YLS which seems to focus much more on theory alone).

For my particular interests HLS just makes more sense as it offers more coursework and more clinics in that area compared to Yale which offers very very little (for my intended focus they do not even have a permanent faculty member!)

Also for my career goals an affiliation with Harvard University will be very beneficial as I would like to work with an institution with which Harvard already has a very strong relationship. This relationship (or one similar) is completely non-existent at YLS and that is pretty important to me.

Finally, I would like to work and live in the Boston area. I have lived there before and I am eager to get back there and am happy that I can go to the best school in the area. New Haven doesn't do it for me, and I cant see a reason why someone who wants to live in Boston would study in New Haven if the best school in Boston is an option.

anyway that's why I would take HLS over YLS even if I had to choose between the two. :D
Last edited by Zara on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 pm

for the record I've been accepted to Columbia, NYU, UChi, Penn, UVA , and Vandy so far and NO REJECTS

there aren't too many black male engineering grads from Princeton out there to compete against so I put my chances at 50/50 for Harvard

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Peter North wrote:*FLAME/TROLL ALERT*

I know some of you will think of me as a troll... but I swear I'm not trolling when I say this:

Most successful H applicants tend to change their tunes once the Y rejection comes in when deep down inside they're always craving for # 1 than to settle for # 2. Sour grapes? You bet!!! ;)

Funny how they use some subjective reasons to justify their choice (read: location, money, etc). LOL!

*DUCK AWAY*

I got into Princeton and waitlisted at Harvard for undergrad and have been bitter about it to this day EVENTHOUGH at the time Princeton was ahead of Harvard in the ranking.

I really only care about which school impresses people more. HLS does that w/o a doubt.

BTW my sister got into Harvard and anytime people ask us where we went to school......I say I'm going to Princeton and they're impressed.......then my sister says Harvard and no one even cares about what I said anymore

the power Harvard has over the psyche of the lay person is CRAZY

I would never pass up Harvard for any school.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 am

RealTalk wrote:I got into Princeton and waitlisted at Harvard for undergrad and have been bitter about it to this day EVENTHOUGH at the time Princeton was ahead of Harvard in the ranking.

I really only care about which school impresses people more. HLS does that w/o a doubt.

BTW my sister got into Harvard and anytime people ask us where we went to school......I say I'm going to Princeton and they're impressed.......then my sister says Harvard and no one even cares about what I said anymore

I'm glad that you're going to law school for all the right reasons.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I got into Princeton and waitlisted at Harvard for undergrad and have been bitter about it to this day EVENTHOUGH at the time Princeton was ahead of Harvard in the ranking.

u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:05 am

RealTalk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???

Uh if any of this is true, why the hell did you major in engineering?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 am

tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

FTW?

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 am

You went to Princeton and you're still sour about a Harv waitlist? I sense some insecurity issues.

This should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvkTcgw8g4

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 am

tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

cause I thought it would look cool on my resume

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am

tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:I'm glad that you're going to law school for all the right reasons.

Credited. Also, the amount of flame in here would make the Fantastic Four jealous.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:08 am

RealTalk wrote:
I got into Princeton and waitlisted at Harvard for undergrad and have been bitter about it to this day EVENTHOUGH at the time Princeton was ahead of Harvard in the ranking.

A TTT student would have more lay prestige than both of you if he/she won the powerball. "Where did you go to school?" "I didn't have to because I have 300 million dollars."

What's the point of lay prestige anyway? You can impress the lay person with many other ways. And still what does it matter? If you can do what you want to do anyway, what different does it make what a lay person think of you?

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:You went to Princeton and you're still sour about a Harv waitlist? I sense some insecurity issues.

I would've had a 100% admit rate for ugrad if it wasn't for Harvard so I've been salty since then. I don't like being rejected for anything. I practically would fight someone if they blocked my shot in a basketball game let alone getting a waitlist letter from a school.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

RealTalk wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:You went to Princeton and you're still sour about a Harv waitlist? I sense some insecurity issues.

I would've had a 100% admit rate for ugrad if it wasn't for Harvard so I've been salty since then. I don't like being rejected for anything. I practically would fight someone if they blocked my shot in a basketball game let alone getting a waitlist letter from a school.

How did you deal with all the B's at Princeton?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 am

Unemployed wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

DELETED

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 am

RealTalk wrote:

Many intelligent people have been able to do all these things without the benefit of any higher education. If you feel like you need a HLS degree (and not a YLS degree) to accomplish these, you must be woefully incompetent/inadequate.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

Unemployed wrote:How did you deal with all the B's at Princeton?

Ivy league schools give out B's?

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am

Unemployed wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

I smoked weed and didn't go to class.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:14 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

Princeton is different from other Ivy's in that they practice grade deflation.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale.

I didn't know a "proven" GPA at Princeton is a 3.3, isn't that median?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am

I'm not sure that any difference in lay prestige matters worth a damn irl. You get into either one, you're blessed.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am

RealTalk wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 am

RealTalk wrote:

I see why you need a HLS degree to sleep with any women.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:I'm glad that you're going to law school for all the right reasons.

Credited. Also, the amount of flame in here would make the Fantastic Four jealous.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale.

I didn't know a "proven" GPA at Princeton is a 3.3, isn't that median?

yeah but its higher than the median for engineering grads

I probably coulda taken a cake major and gotten closer to getting cum laude or something

3.6 gets u cum laude at Princeton

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”