Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school would you choose?

Harvard
67
35%
Yale
126
65%
 
Total votes: 193

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby scionb4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 am

I'd pick Stanford over both of them in a heart beat.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 am

RealTalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:No one should ever feel entitled to HLS but it pains me that a URM with stats such as yours feels entitled to a HLS acceptance. Regardless of your Princeton undergrad background, according to your posts you are about to reach the 2 month mark of hearing absolutely nothing from HLS. I think you can guess what that means...rejected or held at best. I don't know if this is a facade that the internet so readily facilitates, but I would bet that you must not be feeling as confident as you would like to convey.

I'm usually not this scathing, but your asshole tendencies failed to escape me. Acquire some humility before your imminent HLS WL/reject provides it for you.


I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but my app is soo good that I would be shocked if I got rejected or waitlisted. Professor Cornell West (who I know very well) wrote me a glowing rec. I've overcome obstacles in my personal life that many here could never imagine. I'm sure these have been a major catalyst by more great cycle so far.

And I don't feel entitled to HLS in any way its just always been my dream school. All of you that got your panies in a bunch thinking I'm trying to flame have got it wrong. I just want the Harvard mystique and thats all I care about cause IMO for what I want to accomplish in law (being partner at V5 firms and SCOTUS clerk) Harvard and Yale are the same. Harvards exceeds Yale IMO cause the lay prestige is so much better.


164 and 3.3 kind of sucks.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 am

RealTalk wrote:
you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.


This turd is a Bing14 alt. Has to be.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby 20121109 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.


This turd is a Bing14 alt. Has to be.


Nice replacement for your troll with a huge .... picture. 8)

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby 20121109 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:13 am

RealTalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:No one should ever feel entitled to HLS but it pains me that a URM with stats such as yours feels entitled to a HLS acceptance. Regardless of your Princeton undergrad background, according to your posts you are about to reach the 2 month mark of hearing absolutely nothing from HLS. I think you can guess what that means...rejected or held at best. I don't know if this is a facade that the internet so readily facilitates, but I would bet that you must not be feeling as confident as you would like to convey.

I'm usually not this scathing, but your asshole tendencies failed to escape me. Acquire some humility before your imminent HLS WL/reject provides it for you.


I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but my app is soo good that I would be shocked if I got rejected or waitlisted. Professor Cornell West (who I know very well) wrote me a glowing rec. I've overcome obstacles in my personal life that many here could never imagine. I'm sure these have been a major catalyst by more great cycle so far.

And I don't feel entitled to HLS in any way its just always been my dream school. All of you that got your panies in a bunch thinking I'm trying to flame have got it wrong. I just want the Harvard mystique and thats all I care about cause IMO for what I want to accomplish in law (being partner at V5 firms and SCOTUS clerk) Harvard and Yale are the same. Harvards exceeds Yale IMO cause the lay prestige is so much better.


You can't be serious, right? I mean a LOR from Cornell West is pretty serious, but you can't possibly expect one LOR and overcoming adversity (which btw, a lot of applicants have done) to compensate for the LSAT/GPA combo. A URM shouldn't apply to schools assuming that the boost will overlook glaring inadequacies in their overall candidacy. You seem to have had a pretty stellar cycle and you should be happy with that. But to simply assume that your success will follow you all the way to a HLS admit, is self-entitlement at its very worst. FYI, most URMs that get accepted to HLS at least pad the GPA median. If I were you, I wouldn't be feeling so shocked if I was rejected or waitlisted.

Sorry to come across a little harsh, but you strike me as a little delusional.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 am

Everyone in this thread who believes OP is legit...

--ImageRemoved--

heyguys
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby heyguys » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:22 am

When you guys say you would take HLS or SLS over YLS, I'll just say that the decision is A LOT different when you're facing it.

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby parker09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

RealTalk wrote:
not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot


So I know I'm totally feeding the troll / throwing firewood into the flames here, but I just want to point out that Princeton doesn't HAVE a biomed engineering major (and the closest certificate/minor is "engineering biology" but then you're still a ChemE).

http://www.princeton.edu/engineering/un ... te/majors/
http://www.princeton.edu/engineering/un ... /programs/

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 am

Harvard places better into private practice.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

parker09 wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot


So I know I'm totally feeding the troll / throwing firewood into the flames here, but I just want to point out that Princeton doesn't HAVE a biomed engineering major (and the closest certificate/minor is "engineering biology" but then you're still a ChemE).

http://www.princeton.edu/engineering/un ... te/majors/
http://www.princeton.edu/engineering/un ... /programs/


Clearly he, the dean and Cornell West worked out a special accommodation for him. Damn people.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am

RealTalk wrote: Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world

No... it's not.

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RickyRoe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
RealTalk wrote: Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world

No... it's not.



According to USNWR it actually is.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-400.html
I was as surprised by that fact, I figured Oxford to be #1 but they are #5 according to the almighty USNWR.

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RickyRoe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 am

I really hope someone from Harvard admissions is reading this. Like the OP said, there aren't a lot of black male engineering students at Princeton that are applying to HLS. Please reject this d-bag.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:07 am

RickyRoe wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
RealTalk wrote: Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world

No... it's not.



According to USNWR it actually is.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-400.html
I was as surprised by that fact, I figured Oxford to be #1 but they are #5 according to the almighty USNWR.

The "universally recognized" is as big a problem here as the "best university in the world."

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby KibblesAndVick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

OP just doesn't want to be part of that whole Yale thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO4Os

User avatar
Pausanias
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Pausanias » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am

Peter North wrote:Comparing YLS to HLS is akin to comparing a Bentley to a BMW.


So far, this is the most astute analogy. I also think it makes SLS a Tesla.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 am

I personally find YLS's environment more appealing.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
RealTalk wrote: Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world

No... it's not.



According to USNWR it actually is.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-400.html
I was as surprised by that fact, I figured Oxford to be #1 but they are #5 according to the almighty USNWR.

The "universally recognized" is as big a problem here as the "best university in the world."


eh i dont know. from a lay person's perspective (those that make up the majority of the people), Harvard is the best university in the world. what would be your candidate? lol

though universally recognized != best university, for all intents and purposes when it comes to the masses here talking about higher education, it is kind of the same thing

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby parker09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

my mother (who knows very little about life, the world, or law school, but does know i didn't apply to yale and there's no way in hell i could get into hls OR yls): "well it doesn't matter where you go now, because you can just transfer to yale next year."

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:11 pm

RealTalk wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???


Many intelligent people have been able to do all these things without the benefit of any higher education. If you feel like you need a HLS degree (and not a YLS degree) to accomplish these, you must be woefully incompetent/inadequate.


Seriously, I don't think a Harvard degree is going to significanlty change the amount of women who want to sleep with you. Lots of money, yes, being important...perhaps...depends... but I don't know many Harvard anything grads that get lots of fine women. The ones that do would get them anyway.


you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.


I'm not saying it won't help, cause it will(even if only a little) I just wasnt sure if your were like some lame, nerdy guy, with no game, thinking if I tell chicks at the club that I go to HLS then they'll go home with me. While they are more likely to do so than before, I don't think its big enough of a deal to pick hls over yls. Especially educated girls(meaning they went to a good school, not a community college-not that those are bad per se), the diff. between HLS and YLS while real, will be minimal to them, I think. All the other stuff would be wayyy more important (money, fame, cars, clothes, physical apperance and of course swag/game etc, before pedigree. Besides you already went to Princeton and you will be in law school thats good enough.

User avatar
pa.wink
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby pa.wink » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm

RealTalk wrote: I've overcome obstacles in my personal life that many here could never imagine.


Imagining the unimaginable obstacle is a fun thought exercise. Were you a lump of clay that willed yourself into an animate, human form just so you could attend Harvard Law?

Though, I guess I just imagined that one, so . . .

traficante
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby traficante » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:33 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???


Seriously, I don't think a Harvard degree is going to significanlty change the amount of women who want to sleep with you. Lots of money, yes, being important...perhaps...depends... but I don't know many Harvard anything grads that get lots of fine women. The ones that do would get them anyway.


you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.


I'm not saying it won't help, cause it will(even if only a little) I just wasnt sure if your were like some lame, nerdy guy, with no game, thinking if I tell chicks at the club that I go to HLS then they'll go home with me. While they are more likely to do so than before, I don't think its big enough of a deal to pick hls over yls. Especially educated girls(meaning they went to a good school, not a community college-not that those are bad per se), the diff. between HLS and YLS while real, will be minimal to them, I think. All the other stuff would be wayyy more important (money, fame, cars, clothes, physical apperance and of course swag/game etc, before pedigree. Besides you already went to Princeton and you will be in law school thats good enough.


Bro story, cool

Fiyero
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Fiyero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 am

RealTalk wrote:
And I don't feel entitled to HLS in any way its just always been my dream school. All of you that got your panies in a bunch thinking I'm trying to flame have got it wrong. I just want the Harvard mystique and thats all I care about cause IMO for what I want to accomplish in law (being partner at V5 firms and SCOTUS clerk) Harvard and Yale are the same. Harvards exceeds Yale IMO cause the lay prestige is so much better.

Rest assured, you will never get a V5 partnership or become a SCOTUS clerk based on how big of a self-centered jerk you are. I will gladly laugh when Harvard rejects you.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:OP just doesn't want to be part of that whole Yale thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO4Os


Ha!

Just watched that the other day. Once saw a bunch of East Coast bankers in Downtown LA, obviously attending some conference cause they were wearing name tags. They DO look exactly the same!!!

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 pm

traficante wrote:
Bro story, cool


Gotta support my Bros... Ya know what, after thinkin about it, I'd probably pick HLS. If you wanna do anything outside law, the law prestige/name recognition would matter, and Harvard has the best. Plus when girls hear harvard it gets their attention. A friend of mine went to Harvard for grad school for a field that makes no money, at all ( I mean they get a salary but by no means big money), and he told girls he was at harvard and they were like omg he's gonna be rich. It's freakin stupid, if they thought about the field he was in they would realize that most don't make a lot of money, but that's how a lot of girls think.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dondraper88, Rio123 and 3 guests