Did I fall in love with the wrong school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
donnamartin

Re: Did I fall in love with the wrong school?

Postby donnamartin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:27 pm

kdw94780 wrote:I'm jealous that you got into a t-10 school like UVA; however, I don't have asperations for BIG Law in markets like NYC or DC so really I'm jealous of your bragging power. BUT, the ppl on here need to get over the fact that the you got better vibes from Wustl compared to UVA. I must say I'm biased cuz I can't wait to study law in Anheuser Busch as well :-). I must agree with other posters that I doubt many people who attend WUSTL had offers from t-10, and those who do probably have full schollys. Try to squeeze out more! If the love affair is mutual, they'll gladly cough it up. and Congrats! No matter what...you're going to a good law school that many people could only dream of attending.

And I wish you all the best with your WUSTL application. If I can be of any help regarding the admission process or application materials, let me know!

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 pm

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Please, please, please go to UVA. I hate you more with every post.
Can you stop pulling my hair bagging for attention? God, what a loser.

Troll presence confirmed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Oh the hypocrisy...

Ah yes, I'm the attention-seeking whore proclaiming from the proverbial TLS mountaintops that I'm a smoking hot blond that guys can't wait to get their hands on.

But seriously, if you want a truce, fine, I'll leave you alone. Just stop being such a stuck-up b*tch and I'll stop calling you out on it. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:16 pm

i think we've been had. I was talking to a friend of mine about this vapid whore who was on one of these threads, and she recognized the name donna martin. apparently donna martin is a character from 90210 played by tori spelling. the character is this blond girl who thinks shes hotter than she is (stop me when this feels familiar), and the character has weird confidence issues and overcompensates for it. also i checked teh list of attendees for the ASD and ther was no donna martin. either way, im happy i dont have to deal with this person in real life

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm

nyyankees wrote:i think we've been had. I was talking to a friend of mine about this vapid whore who was on one of these threads, and she recognized the name donna martin. apparently donna martin is a character from 90210 played by tori spelling. the character is this blond girl who thinks shes hotter than she is (stop me when this feels familiar), and the character has weird confidence issues and overcompensates for it. also i checked teh list of attendees for the ASD and ther was no donna martin. either way, im happy i dont have to deal with this person in real life

lol. there's a list of attendees? and you're creepy! but yeah I thought we all knew she was a flame?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:19 pm

sibley wrote:
nyyankees wrote:i think we've been had. I was talking to a friend of mine about this vapid whore who was on one of these threads, and she recognized the name donna martin. apparently donna martin is a character from 90210 played by tori spelling. the character is this blond girl who thinks shes hotter than she is (stop me when this feels familiar), and the character has weird confidence issues and overcompensates for it. also i checked teh list of attendees for the ASD and ther was no donna martin. either way, im happy i dont have to deal with this person in real life

lol. there's a list of attendees? and you're creepy! but yeah I thought we all knew she was a flame?

Yeah, I think most schools give a list of attendees for ASDs that has the name of the student and where they attended undergrad. I think the main reason for this is to make all of us non-prestigious undergrad people feel inferior to the people from the top undergrads, thus creating an inferiority complex in us and helping to set the baseline for the curve. (Looks at people like nyyankees).

But I'm on to this little psychological ploy and I'm gonna gun uber-hard next year to overcome it.

donnamartin

Postby donnamartin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:20 pm

You should be REALLY grateful for affirmative action.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm

sibley wrote:

yeah it was in our packet that i have out right now. if thats creepy, so be it.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 pm

donnamartin wrote:

You should be REALLY grateful for affirmative action.

i am. thanks.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 pm

As a future UVA matriculant, I have to urge you out of loyalty to my alma mater to be to go visit (again, if you've been already). I have to say, my impression of the career services guy at UVA was that he was a baller. He's been a firm hiring partner and a litigator, and he looked like he was prepared to argue your way into a firm for you if you wanted him to. I also liked the admit staff (though, to be fair, I have reason to, they gave me money).

My personal experience was that I went to UVA having a reason to be "supposed" to like it (the money), and left with reasons that I loved it (that had nothing to do with the money, but the money is nice, don't get me wrong). I would say there is a lot to love about the place, but that's my perspective. You do have to do what's good for you, that really matters.

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 pm

dvd wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:As a future UVA matriculant, I have to urge you out of loyalty to my alma mater to be to go visit (again, if you've been already). I have to say, my impression of the career services guy at UVA was that he was a baller. He's been a firm hiring partner and a litigator, and he looked like he was prepared to argue your way into a firm for you if you wanted him to. I also liked the admit staff (though, to be fair, I have reason to, they gave me money).

My personal experience was that I went to UVA having a reason to be "supposed" to like it (the money), and left with reasons that I loved it (that had nothing to do with the money, but the money is nice, don't get me wrong). I would say there is a lot to love about the place, but that's my perspective. You do have to do what's good for you, that really matters.

Dude, she's a flame...

Truth? Didn't read any of the other posts other than the OP...

donnamartin

Postby donnamartin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:35 pm

TheSharklord wrote:As a future UVA matriculant, I have to urge you out of loyalty to my alma mater to be to go visit (again, if you've been already). I have to say, my impression of the career services guy at UVA was that he was a baller. He's been a firm hiring partner and a litigator, and he looked like he was prepared to argue your way into a firm for you if you wanted him to. I also liked the admit staff (though, to be fair, I have reason to, they gave me money).

So there are a couple of WUSTL prospective students who took it personally that I got into UVa apparently. I advise you to ignore them.

I have a question for you: do you know what's the (approximate) percentage of UVa 2L's who have summer internships in big firms? How about 1L's? While biglaw isn't quite what I want to do, it does give some kind of indication for the school's rep.

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:02 am

donnamartin wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:I'm jealous that you got into a t-10 school like UVA; however, I don't have asperations for BIG Law in markets like NYC or DC so really I'm jealous of your bragging power. BUT, the ppl on here need to get over the fact that the you got better vibes from Wustl compared to UVA. I must say I'm biased cuz I can't wait to study law in Anheuser Busch as well :-). I must agree with other posters that I doubt many people who attend WUSTL had offers from t-10, and those who do probably have full schollys. Try to squeeze out more! If the love affair is mutual, they'll gladly cough it up. and Congrats! No matter what...you're going to a good law school that many people could only dream of attending.

And I wish you all the best with your WUSTL application. If I can be of any help regarding the admission process or application materials, let me know!

Actually, I have already been accepted and offered a 114k SIL scholarship this app season. I was also waitlisted at UVA, so that's why I say you should ask for more. :)

atfarmer

Postby atfarmer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:35 pm

There sure are a lot of idiots on this board.

FACT: there are tons of people that are friggin loaded who have never set foot in a T14 school. You'd think, sorting through all this drivel, that your future, as you stand here in your early to mid 20s, is somehow predetermined based on the fact that UVA is ranked 10th while WU is ranked a meager 18th.

Here's the reality: your job, your future, depends on you. If you bust your tail at WU (or heck any law school for that matter, even the "third tier trash"), you can find whatever success you want. I will say that you might have a slightly easier time with it coming out of UVA or Harvard or Yale, but that doesn't mean it's unattainable somewhere else.

Oh, and acting like some guy who attended a higher ranked law school will automatically have a better career or make more money is plain flat dumb.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”