Did I fall in love with the wrong school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sibley

Gold

Re: Did I fall in love with the wrong school?

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 pm

junelsat wrote:
sibley wrote:
junelsat wrote:The logic behind these decisions is simple - if you intend to chase money after you graduate, you want to go to the top-14 school, because you will be able to get a high-paying job and pay off the debt without worry. If you don't intend to chase money, then take the scholarship, because then you won't be pigeonholed working long hours in the private sector(although you might not even be able to get this job from a lesser school) and will have more financial freedom
I read on here that PI jobs can be really hard to come by without a strong degree, that they're even more competitive than private sector since they don't have the funding to add on as they choose.

Ok its obviously easy to get a PI job with a better degree, but the bigger point is that you might be too worried about your debt to actually take a PI job if you go to the top-14, whereas if you go to the school with a scholarship its not as big a concern. It you have 150k in debt after law school its going to be pretty tough not to go into private practice given the opportunity, even with the loan forgiveness programs and whatnot. So I still think its straightforwards -
Biglaw = Go top 14
PI=Take the scholarship
but now with the 10 year/10% federal forgiveness program that could seriously up the competitiveness...

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 pm

are you that asian guy who kept asking about LA placement?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Visit UVA again, but going to WUSTL @ 90k over sticker at UVA can make sense. If you are ok with not getting Biglaw or some prestigious gov't gig, it doesn't have to be T-14 or bust. I know someone who turned down Cornell and Georgetown to attend Fordham at what was once their highest scholarship (60k), because she knows she wants to practice and live in NYC, and has no interest in Biglaw. She is very happy with her decision.

donnamartin

New

Post by donnamartin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm

nyyankees wrote:are you that asian guy who kept asking about LA placement?
No, I am Donna Martin. And in all seriousness, I was the popular blond chick.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will certainly contact WUSTL and ask for a larger scholarship. Whether or not they agree, I think I have made my decision. My decision was certainly not based on factors that won't be relevant once I start school (e.g. how nice the admissions staff are). I realize I am on an internet board called Top Law Schools, where those who complain about getting accepted to HLS and not Yale can be found, but I think going for the highest school you get into is not necessarily the right way to go, and certainly not for everyone. I don't see a substantial (enough to outweigh an almost full ride) reason to choose a school I liked less in all regards just because US News placed it within that T14 category. It seems like WUSTL offers fantastic career prospects (contrary to the popular belief on this website, attending a T14 is not the only way to get BigLaw, which, btw I am not even interested in) and the fact that it's 5 spots away from that 14 threshold is not a deal breaker for me. So yes, I guess I was looking for reassurance about my decision more than advice about where to go.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:26 pm

donnamartin wrote:

QFP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 pm

donnamartin wrote:
I am probably going to WUSTL next fall, and I was going to encourage you to join me. But after your string of stuck-up and arrogant comments, please go to UVA for my sake.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
I am probably going to WUSTL next fall, and I was going to encourage you to join me. But after your string of stuck-up and arrogant comments, please go to UVA for my sake.
In person or just on here?

Also, uh... I don't think you can fall in love with the wrong school. part of it is gut.

donnamartin

New

Post by donnamartin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
Are you the short guy from KY with the bottle of Corona whom I had to constantly reject during happy hour?

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm

donnamartin wrote:
So by popular blond chick that all the law students were hitting on do you mean balding asian guy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
Are you the short guy from KY with the bottle of Corona whom I had to constantly reject during happy hour?
I think you're mistaken in assuming guys are interested in your good looks or charming personality, or that you are or were ever in fact "popular". I have a hunch something very different has been going on.

Have you noticed a carnal intensity to the gentlemen's stares? Did the short guy from KY look like he was about to crush the glass bottle in his fist? Do you often find that you don't get along with guys and yet they still don't "take the hint" but instead go for the proverbial kill?

I thought so. You do inspire desire. You're right. The desire to hate fuck.
Last edited by whitman on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
Not even close. Corona is donkey piss. But after conferring with another TLS-er in real life (if you consider Facebook real life), we have decided that there were definitely not any smoking hot blond chicks at the ASD. So quit kidding yourself, honey. Have fun in VA, please...

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
yeah im with romo on this one, there werent even coronas at the happy hour. did you go to an admitted students day at UW/GW and fall in love? I would be very much okay with that

donnamartin

New

Post by donnamartin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm

whitman wrote: I think you're mistaken in assuming guys are interested in your good looks or charming personality, or that you are or were ever in fact "popular". I have a hunch something very different has been going on.

Have you noticed a carnal intensity to the gentlemen's stares? Did the short guy from KY look like he was about to crush the glass bottle in his fist? Do you often find that you don't get along with guys and yet they still don't "take the hint" but instead go for the proverbial kill?

I thought so. You do inspire lust. You're right. A lust to hate fuck.
Wow I should have known I was bordering dangerous territory. Sorry for all of you who got rejected by me or otherwise and I hope everything works out for you.
Love,
Donna

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm

this thread is funny

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:53 pm

sibley wrote:this thread is funny
This thread has derailed. I want to figure out who DM is so I can avoid her next fall.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
This thread has derailed. I want to figure out who DM is so I can avoid her next fall.
flamer, ya?

donnamartin

New

Post by donnamartin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
No worries, she'll avoid you (until you give her a reason not to, which sounds like you'd be unable to provide)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 am

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
No worries, she'll avoid you (until you give her a reason not to, which sounds like you'd be unable to provide)
You do realize law school is a place for, ya know, grownups? In other words, your whole sophomore in high school personality and maturity level aren't going to get you anywhere. HTH

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

junelsat wrote:The logic behind these decisions is simple - if you intend to chase money after you graduate, you want to go to the top-14 school, because you will be able to get a high-paying job and pay off the debt without worry. If you don't intend to chase money, then take the scholarship, because then you won't be pigeonholed working long hours in the private sector(although you might not even be able to get this job from a lesser school) and will have more financial freedom
This argument assumes, without warrant, that one cannot both save money and chase money after graduation from WUSTL. After all, WUSTL has some great job prospects of its own. We all agree that the WUSTL name isn't as portable, but that may not matter.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 am

donnamartin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Dude ... she just rejected you in the third person...
Last edited by firebreathingliberal on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
This argument assumes, without warrant, that one cannot both save money and chase money after graduation from WUSTL. After all, WUSTL has some great job prospects of its own. We all agree that the WUSTL name isn't as portable, but that may not matter.
The argument assumes, with warrant, that one has a better chance of successfully "chasing money" after graduation at a T14 than at WUSTL. Nobody is denying the possibility that you can be successful coming out of WUSTL, but it is certainly a lot more difficult (especially ITE) to secure those high-paying jobs from a school that low-ranked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tomato Stevens

New

Post by Tomato Stevens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

My problem is that I always fall in love with mean girls like this one. Speaking about the wrong subject of one's love.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

Tomato Stevens wrote:My problem is that I always fall in love with mean girls like this one. Speaking about the wrong subject of one's love.
aw. some of us are nice. ...as long as the boys are nice to us, anyway. I did my bf's laundry for him this weekend =) I sometimes do. it means I get to spend more time with him bc he's not busy with that!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am

vanwinkle wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
The argument assumes, with warrant, that one has a better chance of successfully "chasing money" after graduation at a T14 than at WUSTL. Nobody is denying the possibility that you can be successful coming out of WUSTL, but it is certainly a lot more difficult (especially ITE) to secure those high-paying jobs from a school that low-ranked.
I am not even going to try to put WUSTL and UVA on the same page, because clearly T10 is a whole different ball game. But still, you make it sound like WUSTL is struggling ITE. The careers guy said they have brought in over 50 new firms to OCI this year and almost every 2L and 3L I talked to had stuff lined up. Are they hurting more than a few years ago? Sure. But don't make it sound like the decision is UVA vs. TTT. ITs UVA vs. a very good tier 1 school.

Tomato Stevens

New

Post by Tomato Stevens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am

sibley wrote:
Tomato Stevens wrote:My problem is that I always fall in love with mean girls like this one. Speaking about the wrong subject of one's love.
aw. some of us are nice. ...as long as the boys are nice to us, anyway. I did my bf's laundry for him this weekend =) I sometimes do. it means I get to spend more time with him bc he's not busy with that!
See? I am already attracted to you less than to the mean Cali blonde.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”