Georgetown's surprisingly high acceptance standard (FT)! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diamond

Re: Georgetown's surprisingly high acceptance standard (FT)!

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:46 pm

violinst wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
violinst wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:OP, can you provide evidence that quantifies the extent to which PTers are actually putting downward pressure on Georgetown's ranking? GULC's medians are ALREADY on par with many of the schools ranked higher, so I suspect that something other than admissions statistics is at play.

You're really just conjecturing here in a way that I don't think is very helpful.
One of the evidences is that the USNWR ranking combines both the incoming FT and PT stats. If only the FT stats are used, GULC's ranking may be higher (again, nothing against PTs. These are just numbers).

USNWR only included PT stats on their rankings on their last rankings. Gtown has been 14 for years.
You meant FT stats, right? Interesting to know.
Yea, sorry my wording was ambiguous. I mean they only included PT this last year. Notice that Gtown didn't fall.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
violinst wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
USNWR only included PT stats on their rankings on their last rankings. Gtown has been 14 for years.
You meant FT stats, right? Interesting to know.
Yea, sorry my wording was ambiguous. I mean they only included PT this last year. Notice that Gtown didn't fall.
I totally got it the other way. It's more interesting to know that they just started doing it last year.
Last edited by violinst on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:06 pm

tulip baroo wrote:
violinst wrote:
Not to be offensive to anyone personally, what is the number of PTs who couldn't get into the FT program and who do not have meaningful jobs/connections? I know that this is a question that's impossible to answer, but I can't leave an obvious rock unturned. While those PTs may very well be very competent, they are in a disadvantaged position I assume, and GULC's employment ranking may suffer as a result. (a statistical issue)

But again, rankings don't mean shit. It's the individuals that will make or break.
violinst wrote:
What do I know? I only thought that a FT program is more credible academically than a PT program, and the legal profession is a highly academic profession (meritocracy). That's the foundation of my assumption. Is it ridiculous? It is if you say so.

I am arguing things statistically, and so many people take it personally.
Do not worry violinst; I am not personally offended by you

I am frustrated with your "educated guesses" and would prefer that you stop slamming PT students in all of your posts - don't want you to spread your assumptions to other unknowledgeable 0Ls
I myself am also an "unknowledgeable 0L" who is trying to find out The Truth.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm

I think something that gets overlooked far too often is the fact that a certain number of students at any school will self-select out of Biglaw.

One has to remember that Georgetown is the lawschool to attend for public interest work. Not only is it smack in the nerve center of the federal government, but it also has the country's #1 clinical program, and has historically always had a strong LRAP (made sweeter by the spectacular new one). Due to these factors, I believe that the school attracts a very large number of students who don't even interview for Biglaw, and thus drag down the percentage of the overall student body who land said careers. I think the raw numbers would be more valuable if we knew what percentage of the student body actually had interviews with the NLJ250 compared to what percentage took offers.

As a side note: GULC's federal clerkship placement might not be spectacular, but aren't they #4 in the country in regards to actual Article III judges? I can't find the link I was reading earlier, but I seem to remember it going Yale, Harvard, UVA, GULC.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 pm

mb88 wrote:I think something that gets overlooked far too often is the fact that a certain number of students at any school will self-select out of Biglaw.

One has to remember that Georgetown is the lawschool to attend for public interest work. Not only is it smack in the nerve center of the federal government, but it also has the country's #1 clinical program, and has historically always had a strong LRAP (made sweeter by the spectacular new one). Due to these factors, I believe that the school attracts a very large number of students who don't even interview for Biglaw, and thus drag down the percentage of the overall student body who land said careers. I think the raw numbers would be more valuable if we knew what percentage of the student body actually had interviews with the NLJ250 compared to what percentage took offers.

As a side note: GULC's federal clerkship placement might not be spectacular, but aren't they #4 in the country in regards to actual Article III judges? I can't find the link I was reading earlier, but I seem to remember it going Yale, Harvard, UVA, GULC.
There is truth in this. The current GULC students I have talked to all seem to be very interested in PI (maybe they have to, but quite a few them are doing very well academically). I never explored in that direction, since PI does not interest me that much.

GULC's large class size may contribute to the large number of Article III judges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”