Late waitlist = early admit? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Late waitlist = early admit?

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 pm

If you are waitlisted in late March (as I have been at a few places), does it follow that if you were to apply extremely early (as in the first day apps are available), then you stand a very good chance to get in to the place you were waitlisted? My understanding is that waitlisted students are qualified to be admitted, but the spaces are just not there to admit them. Is this correct? I'm considering taking an extra year off in case I don't get in off the waitlists that I'm on, and if I did I would want to make sure that my chances were pretty good of getting in right off the bat.

wadeny

Bronze

Re: Late waitlist = early admit?

Post by wadeny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Probably not. Applying earlier in the cycle can definitely help in some cases (especially getting $$$), but it's not like applying earlier will help an applicant with sub-par #s squeak in ahead of a more qualified applicant. Adcoms know that there will likely be many qualified applicants coming later in the cycle, so they can just "hold" your app for a while.

Feel free to take a look at my LSN page, but I applied very early last cycle (admittedly to some big reaches) and landed on several WLs. Who knows, it might vary from applicant to applicant, but nothing is worse than hanging around on a WL for 8+ months. You're better off retaking the LSAT or boosting your app some other way rather than rushing to submit a weaker app.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”