T-14 that people never ever talk about

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sogui

T-14 that people never ever talk about

Postby Sogui » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Seriously I don't think I've heard the word "Penn" once this cycle. Well, I've heard people discuss Penn state.

Chicago comes it at a close second.

What is it about these schools that never elicits discussion?

Sangiovese

Re: T-14 that people never ever talk about

Postby Sangiovese » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Sogui wrote:Seriously I don't think I've heard the word "Penn" once this cycle. Well, I've heard people discuss Penn state.

It's because they don't have enough lay prestige!

*runs off and grabs popcorn*

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Sogui wrote:Seriously I don't think I've heard the word "Penn" once this cycle. Well, I've heard people discuss Penn state.

I can speak for the University of Chicago: It is known for its erudite, unsexy, reclusive character. Thus, it is not one of the more well-known universities.

Edit: Some will notice that I have taken down my UChicago Shield avatar and replaced it with a cute bunny. I felt that displaying the UChicago Shield was giving my school too much publicity.
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Are you joking? Chicago is tls' favorite son (or daughter).

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Does Penn have a law school now?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm

I believe it's University of Penn.

But I definitely noticed this as well as little while ago, I wonder why Penn flies under the radar so much here.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Chicago gets talked about a good bit, just not at much as the other T6. It is criticized quite a bit because of its intense academic culture and its so-called declining status (none of this I assert as true). It's Duke and Penn that are very rarely mentioned. They are not bad enough to be trolled as "non T14 material" in the way that G and C are. Nor is it the case that they get mentioned as moving up in the rankings. People who read TLS regularly could easily forget that P is ranked above V, for example.

edit for typo

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:But I definitely noticed this as well as little while ago, I wonder why Penn flies under the radar so much here.

Probably because this is the 'top law schools' website and penn is ranked 65th.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:54 pm

mr.undroppable wrote:
Knockglock wrote:But I definitely noticed this as well as little while ago, I wonder why Penn flies under the radar so much here.

I think, since the thread title is "T-14 that people never ever talk about" the OP meant to say U. Penn. not Penn. State. And U. Penn. is ranked 8th? I believe.

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:

I think, since the thread title is "T-14 that people never ever talk about" the OP meant to say U. Penn. not Penn. State. And U. Penn. is ranked 8th? I believe.

You did not get the joke. I believe.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:01 pm

cardnal124 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:

Guess not.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:03 pm

cardnal124 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:

I cannot tell you the number of threads I've read that seem like flames because they confuse Penn with Penn State. I couldn't tell with yours. Penn needs to re-name itself: how about Penn, It's an Ivy!(c). All royalties go to me.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:05 pm

sumus romani wrote:I cannot tell you the number of threads I've read that seem like flames because they confuse Penn with Penn State. I couldn't tell with yours. Penn needs to re-name itself: how about Penn, It's an Ivy!(c). All royalties go to me.

Haha, I would vote for that ;)

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Penn doesn't get much love because it lives in the shadow of its Ivy league siblings Columbia and Harvard. Also, I think it is one of the only T14s with a law school that wouldn't be considered the flagship graduate school of the university. At Penn, they talk just as much or more about Wharton and the medical school than they do about the law school. Seriously though, if you are going for a JD/MBA I think Penn might be the best option out there.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

I can speak for the University of Chicago: It is known for its erudite, unsexy, reclusive character. Thus, it is not one of the more well-known universities.

Edit: Some will notice that I have taken down my UChicago Shield avatar and replaced it with a cute bunny. I felt that displaying the UChicago Shield was giving my school too much publicity.

Penn definitely wins, hands down. Chicago, Duke, and Stanford also seem under-discussed relative to their peers, but I suspect that probably has more to do with small class sizes and location rather than prestige or whatnot.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:59 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Penn doesn't get much love because it lives in the shadow of its Ivy league siblings Columbia and Harvard. Also, I think it is one of the only T14s with a law school that wouldn't be considered the flagship graduate school of the university. At Penn, they talk just as much or more about Wharton and the medical school than they do about the law school. Seriously though, if you are going for a JD/MBA I think Penn might be the best option out there.

Probably has something to do with class sizes too. Harvard Law=~550 per class. Columbia=~450 per class. Penn=~250. For those in the know though, Penn is still every bit as deserving of being in the top 10 as anyone else in the top 10. Just that nobody talks about them, which I guess works to applicants' advantage.

Actually coming from NYU (the biggest private uni in the country), I'd really like to go to a small law school. NYU's so big it might as well have its own zip code.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't see why this matters, considering UVA is the most heavily trolled school on this site.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:16 pm

sumus romani wrote:
I cannot tell you the number of threads I've read that seem like flames because they confuse Penn with Penn State. I couldn't tell with yours. Penn needs to re-name itself: how about Penn, It's an Ivy!(c). All royalties go to me.

I snickered when I read this... I went to a craptastic HS where only 50% of my class graduated, and when I got accepted to Penn State as an engineering student my physics teacher kept telling anyone that would listen that I was going to an Ivy League school. Not that I bothered to correct him.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:19 pm

The answer is Penn, and I have changed my tar in order to raise awareness. I suggest you do the same!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 pm

zozin wrote:The answer is Penn, and I have changed my tar in order to raise awareness. I suggest you do the same!

No way. The more Penn is underrated, the easier (the less impossible) it is for me to get in. :mrgreen:

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am

zozin wrote:The answer is Penn, and I have changed my tar in order to raise awareness. I suggest you do the same!

I saw your tar in another thread and though "you don't think..." and came back here. Sure enough...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”