Am I dreaming? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elkapitan87

New

Am I dreaming?

Post by elkapitan87 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi All,

I am just about to begin prepping for the LSAT, and honestly have no idea if I am way off base with the schools I am applying to given the application climate. Me: 3.39 Wharton/Penn undergrad GPA, shooting for a 170 on the lsat (taking a Testmasters course for June date, got a 157 on a diagnostic with no prep), have been working in Bogota this last year and am URM with a strong international work history, good LOC, and a focused reason on why I want to go to law school. I know my gpa is somewhat low, but honestly ugrad did beat me up somewhat. Are any of the following schools realistic with a 170 LSAT score?

Hastings, Irvine, UCLA, USC, Boalt, Davis, Univ of Miami, UVA?

I am assuming ASU, and Univ of San Diego would be good admit fits based on numbers I have seen. I grew up in California, don't know if it makes a difference if I list my permanent address in CA. At this point I would love to know if I am in lala land with my list of schools or if I should reasses my long term goals.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/insights/comments/suggestions you all might have!

Thanks

scribelaw

Silver

Re: Am I dreaming?

Post by scribelaw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:51 pm

On your LSAT, don't rely on a class. Buy the PowerScore Bibles and go through all the old tests. Do a bunch of full-length practice tests under timed conditions. Classes are kind of a waste, in my opinion.

If you get a 170, and you're a URM, you'll have several options in the T14.

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 pm

With a 170 the only maybe is Boalt.. that will also get you lots of money at some of the other schools.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 pm

scribelaw wrote:On your LSAT, don't rely on a class. Buy the PowerScore Bibles and go through all the old tests. Do a bunch of full-length practice tests under timed conditions. Classes are kind of a waste, in my opinion.

If you get a 170, and you're a URM, you'll have several options in the T14.
LSAT courses can be valuable in that they help keep you honest and essentially force you to study. Also, the instructor can give you feedback and you get to learn from the reasoning patterns of other people. I thought my prep course was useful (at least for the first few weeks). After that, the supplemental material and practice tests were all I needed.

Also, I echo scribelaw's comment about the T-14 (170 + 3.4 + URM + prestigious undergrad).

elkapitan87

New

Post by elkapitan87 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:01 pm

the course was a bday/holiday gift for the entire year from my parents. its paid for. i need the focus and to be kept honest like you said.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 pm

elkapitan87 wrote:Hi All,

I am just about to begin prepping for the LSAT, and honestly have no idea if I am way off base with the schools I am applying to given the application climate. Me: 3.39 Wharton/Penn undergrad GPA, shooting for a 170 on the lsat (taking a Testmasters course for June date, got a 157 on a diagnostic with no prep), have been working in Bogota this last year and am URM with a strong international work history, good LOC, and a focused reason on why I want to go to law school. I know my gpa is somewhat low, but honestly ugrad did beat me up somewhat. Are any of the following schools realistic with a 170 LSAT score?

Hastings, Irvine, UCLA, USC, Boalt, Davis, Univ of Miami, UVA?

I am assuming ASU, and Univ of San Diego would be good admit fits based on numbers I have seen. I grew up in California, don't know if it makes a difference if I list my permanent address in CA. At this point I would love to know if I am in lala land with my list of schools or if I should reasses my long term goals.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/insights/comments/suggestions you all might have!

Thanks
Look at law schools, but don't set your heart on a list of law schools until you HAVE the LSAT score in your hand. Easier said than done I know, but I can guarentee that when you get that score (be it higher or lower than your 170 target) you will have to completely redo your list anyway. By the way, I strongly second using the bibles. I used only the AR bible and climbed 6 points largely because of it.

elkapitan87

New

Post by elkapitan87 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:00 pm

South American according to TLS commentators does not count as URM. how does this change my prospects?

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm

This calculator will let you plug in various LSAT scores (along with your GPA) and shows your chances at all the different schools.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

Obviously it's not 100% accurate, but it will give you the best information available about where you may or may not get in with a particular GPA/LSAT combo.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Boalt is probably out and UVA is a reach. Everything else is very doable with that application. Don't foul up the PS and you should be golden.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”