Resume Help !!! Serious Responses Only. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zozin

Gold

Re: Resume Help !!! Serious Responses Only.

Post by zozin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

I can't believe nobody has called out the OP on his inability to properly quote somebody. Response goes after the quote ivy-leaguer.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 pm

i will do that :)
whitman wrote:so take my input with a grain of salt.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 pm

i will check it out
Mathis wrote:One of the best books I've read on law school admissions is "The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions" by Anna Ivey, former Dean of Admissions at Chicago, I think. There is an excellent section on resumes where she gives you example before and after resumes. She focuses on format and content for people with lots of work experience, as well as those with not so much.

You clearly have been doing a lot of significant work and that can and should be conveyed on your resume.

You may also want to write an addendum to your application to further explain your choice to work for yourself for the past three years.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:15 pm

thanks for the dumb comments douche bag
zozin wrote:I can't believe nobody has called out the OP on his inability to properly quote somebody. Response goes after the quote ivy-leaguer.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm

jimmyj wrote:thanks for the dumb comments douche bag
zozin wrote:I can't believe nobody has called out the OP on his inability to properly quote somebody. Response goes after the quote ivy-leaguer.
I'm a "douche bag" because I'm trying to explain how to properly post here? You're not going to get a lot of helpful comments when you call 1/2 the respondents here "douche bags".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:20 pm

then you just joined the rest of the half of "douche bags"...PM me if you have something real to contribute.
zozin wrote:
jimmyj wrote:thanks for the dumb comments douche bag
I'm a "douche bag" because I'm trying to explain how to properly post here? You're not going to get a lot of helpful comments when you call 1/2 the respondents here "douche bags".

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

"fellow ivy leaguer"...lol

you went to an ivy league just for your masters and and upenn for undergrad? what are you one of those guys that went to upenn and had a low self esteem because you got rejected everywhere else? and why are you arguing with desert fox about your stats? this isn't kindergarden anymore, learn to identify trolls

SaintClarence27

Silver

Re: Resume Help !!!

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jimmyj wrote: Btw, I didnt play XBOX and jerk off.
Your loss.

UIUC EE 2.8/ 176 on Sept09

UPenn for physics? If you could get into UPenn you could have gone to a better school for that subject. Like UIUC!

And the 2.8 can be explained by Xbox and JOing.
DF is a fellow UIUCer? Who could have guessed. I worked for EE, but I stayed the hell away from their hard-ass classes. I mean damn.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

ok Jimmy J, I PM'd with you for a little while and honestly tried to help you but you can't go calling everyone a douche bag who responds with any type of negativity in their post. This is also a free forum so just because you put "serious responses only" in your thread title, it does not mean people will only post serious responses. It actually is more likely to have the opposite effect.

Anyways, if you want to not be universally hated on TLS then start acting with a little more grace and you actually might get some useful information from this site. It could come be very handy for you because although you have outstanding numbers your 3 year gap may be looked down upon by the top 3 and you'll need to make sure you have a strong addendum and a strong overall app to get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

$1.99, huh? Thats what your comments are exactly worth...you f-ckhead :)
$1.99 wrote:"fellow ivy leaguer"...lol

you went to an ivy league just for your masters and and upenn for undergrad? what are you one of those guys that went to upenn and had a low self esteem because you got rejected everywhere else? and why are you arguing with desert fox about your stats? this isn't kindergarden anymore, learn to identify trolls

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Your loss.

UPenn for physics? If you could get into UPenn you could have gone to a better school for that subject. Like UIUC!

JOing? Shouldn't it be JingO?

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks Dad :)

As for caring what people think, I can always get a new account and screename on here.
adameus wrote:ok Jimmy J, I PM'd with you for a little while and honestly tried to help you but you can't go calling everyone a douche bag who responds with any type of negativity in their post. This is also a free forum so just because you put "serious responses only" in your thread title, it does not mean people will only post serious responses. It actually is more likely to have the opposite effect.

Anyways, if you want to not be universally hated on TLS then start acting with a little more grace and you actually might get some useful information from this site. It could come be very handy for you because although you have outstanding numbers your 3 year gap may be looked down upon by the top 3 and you'll need to make sure you have a strong addendum and a strong overall app to get in.
Last edited by jimmyj on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

adameus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Your loss.

I pronounced it J-oh-ing so that is why I wrote it that way. But you are probably right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm

adameus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Your loss.

I actually thought JOing was funny.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Your loss.

DF is a fellow UIUCer? Who could have guessed. I worked for EE, but I stayed the hell away from their hard-ass classes. I mean damn.
What year did you graduate? I'm 2008.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm

undergrad? 1999, Penn

Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Your loss.

What year did you graduate? I'm 2008.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm

There's no way. There's just no way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm

no way of what tom? a friend of mine was in a similiar situation as me and is now in medical school at columbia.
tomhobbes wrote:There's no way. There's just no way.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm

jimmyj wrote:no way of what tom? a friend of mine was in a similiar situation as me and is now in medical school at columbia.
No way you can write a personal statement that won't alienate everyone who reads it.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

LOL, I got into Princeton and Penn with no problems...I can handle writing yet another personal statement.
tomhobbes wrote:
jimmyj wrote:no way of what tom? a friend of mine was in a similiar situation as me and is now in medical school at columbia.
No way you can write a personal statement that won't alienate everyone who reads it.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:51 pm

jimmyj wrote:LOL, I got into Princeton and Penn with no problems...I can handle writing yet another personal statement.
Dude, don't make it so hard on yourself. Use the same one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Your so funny... :lol:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
jimmyj wrote:LOL, I got into Princeton and Penn with no problems...I can handle writing yet another personal statement.
Dude, don't make it so hard on yourself. Use the same one.

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:55 pm

James,

You really should not be worried about your lack of employment the past 3 years. This resume flaw is easily concealed by stating you started your own financial consulting practice - this is essentially what you were doing. With the numbers you mentioned, you really shouldn't have any problems getting into the top 10 law school.

On another note, I was hesitant to respond to your question only because of the original title of your post. If you truly believe any non Ivy leaguer's opinion is not worthy of consideration then the disrespect you've received is well deserved. Perhaps you cannot help the fact that you are the one coming across as the immature douche bag on this site, because all you've really have done the past three years is sit around with your thumb up your ass. Perhaps you should work on your social skills first before you apply to law school.

By the way, if you really are the person you appear to be, you really don't have friends, trust me.

Anyways hope my resume advice helped.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 pm

jimmyj wrote:Your so funny... :lol:
What about my funny?

And unless 'your' ESL, I'd suspect you scored closer to a 145.

Italia8183

New

Post by Italia8183 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Why hasn't anyone called jimmyj out for being a flame? That's obviously what he is...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”