JD/MA in HR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Non-Lawyer Lawyer

JD/MA in HR?

Postby Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Last edited by Non-Lawyer Lawyer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onion

Re: JD/MA in HR?

Postby Onion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm not super lawyer or in any position to hire anyone, ever... but could more education and an extra degree really hurt? I think that by getting the MA in HR you are showing direction and a solid thought process as to what you would like to use your JD for. I would say if you have any interest in putting the MA in HR to use, I would get it. Worst comes to worse, you tell your future employer that at the time you applied to law school, you had a great interest in HR and thought your experiences have decided that is not the route for you. I would also say something like "I made a commitment to the school and to myself to get the additional MA in HR and I always see my commitments thought." Maybe making that last statement less corney. Good luck to you!

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

Postby Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Last edited by Non-Lawyer Lawyer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onion

Postby Onion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm

I do not disagree with you, HOWEVER, like I said, I am in no position to hire lawyers and am still a 0L myself. If I had the time and capital thought, I would certainly get a JD/MA or JD/MBA or JD/PhD. Who could fault someone for being more highly educated. I would not worry about the advice of others unless they are partners at firms you want to work for. Otherwise, what do they really know that you don't know? All they are doing is making a prediction that holds as much merit as your own prediction. I would not weigh their advice over what you feel is common sense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”