Any advantage applying to the same LS & UG institution?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Any advantage applying to the same LS & UG institution?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 am

The title may be hard to understand, but what I am asking is: if you went to school x for your undergrad, and school x also has a law school (ie rutgers undergrad, rutgers law school), will adcomps be more favorable to your law school application if went to their undergraduate institution? In other words, do they view you as "one of their own" and show a bit of favoritism towards your candidacy?

Re: Any advantage applying to the same LS & UG institution?

Postby RickyRoe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am

From what I have heard, it might be a disadvantage. Law schools strive for diversity; look at the school's website and you will probably see them brag about how many UG schools are represented in the 1L class. Not fair I know, and maybe I am wrong, but that is the impression I have gotten.

Postby Bauer24 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 am

I don't know the answer but I hope so.. it'd be nice to get the opportunity to attend Duke Law.

Postby j.wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 am

I can see how it might even work the other way. The admissions committee will know the best and worst attributes of the undergrad population. I went to a UG that has a very good law school, but where the majority of undergrads are, by any honest account, spoiled underachieving brats. I didn't apply there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the law school folks sneer a bit at the rest of the university.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

Depends heavily on the school ranging from beneficial to negative. For example some schools have many applicants from their UG population and a small law school, thus usually taking a lower percentage of same UG->LS types (i.e. Vanderbilt). However some others give a very noticeable boost (Harvard UG -> HLS being the most noticeable case).

Postby hoyas2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm can only answer this question in relation to my UG. At Gtown the median LSAT is something like a 170 I believe. For Gtown undergrads it's a 166. I'm not necessarily sure it makes it 'easier' to get in, but the numerical criteria tend to be less stringent.

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 pm

The answer is a mixed bag of yes & no. Some undergraduate schools have programs that waive the LSAT requirement for their top undergraduate students wishing to apply to that university's law school. Michigan, I think, has such a program. Obviously they want to keep the best students at home. At least one undergraduate school, Valpraiso, has a program of guaranteed law school admission for their undergrads meeting certain standards. I believe that there are a few other schools with similiar programs, although I cannot recall them without further research.
Many undergraduate institutions offer programs which expose top students & the law school personnel to each other. For example, Texas Tech University permits undergrads in the Honors College to take constitutional law at the law school. Arizona State & the University of Alabama utilize law professsors to teach undergrad honors seminars & courses.
Northwestern University recently instituted a Legal Studies major/minor that enlists law professors & the Chicago DA to teach seminars. The top students have reported being encouraged to apply for prestigious internships which result in significnt connections & resume building.
The "no" part of the answer is simply to state the obvious--increased competition from the best students who want to continue their studies at a school they know well. It is hard to imagine any strong law school applicant that would not want to continue on at Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, Harvard, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Virginia, Chicago, Berkeley, Texas, UCLA or USC, among several others. Elite law schools located in major cities such as NYC, Chicago, Wash. D.C. or Los Angeles prove to be particularly attractive to their current undergrads. It is hard to imagine a better setting combined with Top 14 academics and opportunities than Northwestern University's law school (which is not located on the main campus in Evanston but, rather, on the shores of Lake Michigan near the NU medical school in the ritziest part of Chicago), Georgetown, Harvard, Boston College & Boston University, UCLA, USC, NYU & Columbia.
Many top students who want to practice in their home state, remain on a familiar campus, and pay in-state tuition are reluctant to leave the universities of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Wisconsin, Virginia, Colorado, Texas, Indiana & Washington among others. So competition from fellow undergrads is keen.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”