Personalized Recommendation - OK?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pulandasu
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Personalized Recommendation - OK?

Postby pulandasu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 am

Hi,

I tried looking up previous posts at this topic, but couldn't find anything that's completely, on spot related [or maybe my keyword search skill is bad... at any rate]

I have been waitlisted at some law schools. I am planning to write my LOCI, but in addition, also am thinking of asking for a rec from someone at my church. I have a pretty strong EC involvement at church, but didn't really shine light on it except through resume.

My question here is... since I am asking him to write an additional rec to 2 schools only

Would it be okay/appropriate/not shady if in the rec, he writes about my interest in that particular school and fit for the school?
e.g.1 School X's small community will be a good fit for him because...
e.g.2 School Y's emphasis on _______ will do Recomendee a great service because....

He's not in the law profession nor in academics, so I think the admissions may think weird if the rec says something about school like... its small class size, certain programs, etc.

What do you think? Should I provide school-specific information and ask him to incorporate that in as well?


Thanks for your help!

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Personalized Recommendation - OK?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 am

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to include this LOR period. If this person isn't an employer or in academia, I don't see what he could say about what kind of a law student you'd be.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Personalized Recommendation - OK?

Postby dp73816 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to include this LOR period. If this person isn't an employer or in academia, I don't see what he could say about what kind of a law student you'd be.



I say do whatever you can...it is true, that it would be more prudent to get a LOR from someone who can make a direct assessment of your scholarship/dedication, but if you cannot, do what you can.

pulandasu
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Personalized Recommendation - OK?

Postby pulandasu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 am

dp73816 wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to include this LOR period. If this person isn't an employer or in academia, I don't see what he could say about what kind of a law student you'd be.



I say do whatever you can...it is true, that it would be more prudent to get a LOR from someone who can make a direct assessment of your scholarship/dedication, but if you cannot, do what you can.


Oh I see, maybe I was looking at this from more EC perspective..

I have 5 WE. So, I have one rec from my college professor [academic check], one from my employer [WE check] so I was going to send in the third aspect which is my EC...

I thought Law school wants additional LOR only if it can provide an additional perspective on the candidate. I would think that adding another professor or employer will not be adding another persepctive, which my to-be LOR can on my dedication to the community, etc.

Am I taking a wrong approach?

LegalGENius
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: Personalized Recommendation - OK?

Postby LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am

pulandasu wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to include this LOR period. If this person isn't an employer or in academia, I don't see what he could say about what kind of a law student you'd be.



I say do whatever you can...it is true, that it would be more prudent to get a LOR from someone who can make a direct assessment of your scholarship/dedication, but if you cannot, do what you can.


Oh I see, maybe I was looking at this from more EC perspective..

I have 5 WE. So, I have one rec from my college professor [academic check], one from my employer [WE check] so I was going to send in the third aspect which is my EC...

I thought Law school wants additional LOR only if it can provide an additional perspective on the candidate. I would think that adding another professor or employer will not be adding another persepctive, which my to-be LOR can on my dedication to the community, etc.

Am I taking a wrong approach?


IMO, its a little left-field . . . However, I do agree you need to do whatever you can. Can you get another academic or work letter?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fattsdomino, Google [Bot], Houzy, mintme and 5 guests