Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Which would law schools deem more valuable; a paralegal certificate, as attained from this University's graduate program http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/progr ... e/palg.php , or a masters degree in something like Law and Governance or Professional Communication?

The issue here is I couldn't get into the schools that I wanted this cycle, so instead of applying to less prestigious schools, I plan on taking a year off and getting my masters (or paralegal certificate) and increasing my LSAT score. I could either spend the year getting an M.A. , which I've read isn't that valuable when applying to law schools, or spend the year getting a Paralegal Studies certificate. Can anybody offer their .02 on whether the Paralegal Studies program, which may I add is a non-degree program, will offer me more support in the next cycle than an M.A.?

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 pm

:lol:
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:06 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Whichever is cheaper, neither is a particularly awesome or game changing soft.


true, but wouldnt the M.A. help me more down the road when I'm looking for employment?

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 pm

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 pm

OP, I think you'd be much better served by taking a year off, working, saving up cash, boosting your LSAT and reapplying. Neither of the programs you mentioned are going to give you any significant advantage as a future attorney, IMO.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Philo38 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll just pop in an suggest that neither will give you an advantage in a legal career, but one of them will make you a better law student: the masters. It seems to me that getting a masters could only improve your research/critical thinking skills, while adding to your perspective on life, as well as probably significantly enhancing the way you will experience law school. I mean, its education right? That's valuable period, career prospects aside.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Why would the masters make me a better law school student over the Paralegal Studies Certification? I mean, the courses that I will be taking to satisfy the requirements for the paralegal studies certification are all law related. Here is a link to show - http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/progr ... e/palg.php . So how could any masters in general be better for me than coursework that is law-related?

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Philo38 wrote:I'll just pop in an suggest that neither will give you an advantage in a legal career, but one of them will make you a better law student: the masters. It seems to me that getting a masters could only improve your research/critical thinking skills, while adding to your perspective on life, as well as probably significantly enhancing the way you will experience law school. I mean, its education right? That's valuable period, career prospects aside.

I don't violently disagree with you, but IMO, OP would better enhance their law school experience by rolling in with a few extra grand in their wallet.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who is finishing up a master's degree. If the 2010 me could have spoken to the 2008 me, I would have taken the advice I'm giving OP above. I might feel differently if the degree were an MS or a MBA.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 pm

My two cents.

I think you should definitely not go for the paralegal certificate. A paralegal certificate implies more of a commitment to being a paralegal (in my opinion), and especially if you were planning to go to law school next year, may look odd. None of your options seem to be game changers, so I would say get a job, rock the LSAT, and travel - take a year off from school before its too late.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

andyman wrote:Why would the masters make me a better law school student over the Paralegal Studies Certification? I mean, the courses that I will be taking to satisfy the requirements for the paralegal studies certification are all law related. Here is a link to show - http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/progr ... e/palg.php . So how could any masters in general be better for me than coursework that is law-related?


all paralegal studies will teach you (and by 'all' I don't mean all, but I mean generally) is the nasty stuff you won't have to do as an attorney. go with a masters, if you're going to do something.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:I'll just pop in an suggest that neither will give you an advantage in a legal career, but one of them will make you a better law student: the masters. It seems to me that getting a masters could only improve your research/critical thinking skills, while adding to your perspective on life, as well as probably significantly enhancing the way you will experience law school. I mean, its education right? That's valuable period, career prospects aside.

I don't violently disagree with you, but IMO, OP would better enhance their law school experience by rolling in with a few extra grand in their wallet.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who is finishing up a master's degree. If the 2010 me could have spoken to the 2008 me, I would have taken the advice I'm giving OP above. I might feel differently if the degree were an MS or a MBA.


+1000000000

M.A. or paralegal certificate won't matter to Law schools or to employers. Save some money, get some interesting work experience or volunteer to save children in africa. something that you can talk about in an interview and spark some conversation. The degrees mentioned are meaningless.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Would I be better off finding an internship then?

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 pm

andyman wrote:Would I be better off finding an internship then?


Just do something interesting. Work, travel, volunteer, whatever...

And try to be self-sufficient. While traveling on your parents' dime (if that's an option) is fun and probably not going to hurt anything, it won't help either.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 pm

rando wrote:
andyman wrote:Would I be better off finding an internship then?


Just do something interesting. Work, travel, volunteer, whatever...

And try to be self-sufficient. While traveling on your parents' dime (if that's an option) is fun and probably not going to hurt anything, it won't help either.



I dont want to travel. I would rather do something that will help my law school candidacy.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Philo38 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 pm

rando wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:I'll just pop in an suggest that neither will give you an advantage in a legal career, but one of them will make you a better law student: the masters. It seems to me that getting a masters could only improve your research/critical thinking skills, while adding to your perspective on life, as well as probably significantly enhancing the way you will experience law school. I mean, its education right? That's valuable period, career prospects aside.

I don't violently disagree with you, but IMO, OP would better enhance their law school experience by rolling in with a few extra grand in their wallet.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who is finishing up a master's degree. If the 2010 me could have spoken to the 2008 me, I would have taken the advice I'm giving OP above. I might feel differently if the degree were an MS or a MBA.


+1000000000

M.A. or paralegal certificate won't matter to Law schools or to employers. Save some money, get some interesting work experience or volunteer to save children in africa. something that you can talk about in an interview and spark some conversation. The degrees mentioned are meaningless.


Yeah this may be so, but if we are answering the question of which is more valuable than I think the MA wins. My point was just to say that an MA has more value than simply as a career boost. How one measures that value is up to them. But if neither has career value, and one has outside outside of career value, than which is more valuable becomes clear.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:02 pm

andyman wrote:
rando wrote:
andyman wrote:Would I be better off finding an internship then?


Just do something interesting. Work, travel, volunteer, whatever...

And try to be self-sufficient. While traveling on your parents' dime (if that's an option) is fun and probably not going to hurt anything, it won't help either.



I dont want to travel. I would rather do something that will help my law school candidacy.

OP, my friend, you are way over-thinking this.

Get a job and make some money. If not that, at least chill out and do something enjoyable. In between, study and try to boost your LSAT score. It's really that simple. Anything else is unnecessarily complicating your life. Don't waste energy looking for magic bullets that don't exist.

User avatar
Iuvo
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Iuvo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Only things that might help you in legal employment later on are MBAs or an Masters in Finance/Economics.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Philo38 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
andyman wrote:
rando wrote:
andyman wrote:Would I be better off finding an internship then?


Just do something interesting. Work, travel, volunteer, whatever...

And try to be self-sufficient. While traveling on your parents' dime (if that's an option) is fun and probably not going to hurt anything, it won't help either.



I dont want to travel. I would rather do something that will help my law school candidacy.

OP, my friend, you are way over-thinking this.

Get a job and make some money. If not that, at least chill out and do something enjoyable. In between, study and try to boost your LSAT score. It's really that simple. Anything else is unnecessarily complicating your life. Don't waste energy looking for magic bullets that don't exist.


The sure plan to law school candidacy sucess: 1)Join the military 2) Earn a medal of honor for saving people in Haiti.
3)Publicly refuse to accept the medal on the grounds that there is too many people suffering in the world. 4) Accept an offer from the White House to eat dinner with Obama and discuss your point of view. 5) Become golf-buddies with Obama
6) Have Obama call Harvard on your behalf.

NOTE: This plan would have seriously backfired from the years 2000-2008, but should be good now.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Philo38 wrote:The sure plan to law school candidacy sucess:

[strike]1)Join the military[/strike]
2) [strike]Earn a medal of honor for saving people in Haiti.[/strike] (If you've qualified for the Medal of Honor, you're probably no longer with us.)
3)[strike]Publicly refuse to accept the medal on the grounds that there is too many people suffering in the world.[/strike]
[strike]4) Accept an offer from the White House to eat dinner with Obama and discuss your point of view.[/strike]
[strike]5) Become golf-buddies with Obama[/strike]
6) Have Obama call Harvard on your behalf.

Fixt.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Philo38 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:The sure plan to law school candidacy sucess:

1)Join the military
2)Earn a medal of honor for saving people in Haiti. [strike](If you've qualified for the Medal of Honor, you're probably no longer with us.)[/strike] (it doesn't have to be posthumous, and if your as badass as my theoretical person it won't be.)
3)Publicly refuse to accept the medal on the grounds that there is too many people suffering in the world.
4) Accept an offer from the White House to eat dinner with Obama and discuss your point of view.
5) Become golf-buddies with Obama
6) Have Obama call Harvard on your behalf.

[strike]Fixt[/strike].


Nope, not theatrical enough.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Philo38 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:The sure plan to law school candidacy sucess:

1)Join the military
2)Earn a medal of honor for saving people in Haiti. [strike](If you've qualified for the Medal of Honor, you're probably no longer with us.)[/strike] (it doesn't have to be posthumous, and if your as badass as my theoretical person it won't be.)
3)Publicly refuse to accept the medal on the grounds that there is too many people suffering in the world.
4) Accept an offer from the White House to eat dinner with Obama and discuss your point of view.
5) Become golf-buddies with Obama
6) Have Obama call Harvard on your behalf.

[strike]Fixt[/strike].


Nope, not theatrical enough.

152. :lol: Less is more.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby Philo38 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Philo38 wrote:The sure plan to law school candidacy sucess:

1)Join the military
2)Earn a medal of honor for saving people in Haiti. [strike](If you've qualified for the Medal of Honor, you're probably no longer with us.)[/strike] (it doesn't have to be posthumous, and if your as badass as my theoretical person it won't be.)
3)Publicly refuse to accept the medal on the grounds that there is too many people suffering in the world.
4) Accept an offer from the White House to eat dinner with Obama and discuss your point of view.
5) Become golf-buddies with Obama
6) Have Obama call Harvard on your behalf.

[strike]Fixt[/strike].


Nope, not theatrical enough.

152. [strike]:lol:[/strike] Less is more.


. . .

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am

Iuvo wrote:Only things that might help you in legal employment later on are MBAs or an Masters in Finance/Economics.


Masters in Electrical Engineering.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 am

Get a job. Don't take out debt because you are too scared of the real world.

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Paralegal Studies Certificate vs. Masters

Postby JustDude » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 am

The proper question is"


What is more valuable Paralegal Studies Certificate or JD???




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], cavalier1138, Exabot [Bot], lymenheimer, Pozzo, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests