Serious question, help needed Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Serious question, help needed

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I have entered a fairly serious situation with my applications.

Back in 2006, it was only my second semester of UG and because of illness i really messed up that semester and since i had such a small amount of credits, was placed on academic probation. Since then I my gpa has gone up consistently every semester and i'm on good standing with all my UG schools.

Problem: The school didn't notify me that i was on probation. Even worse, on all my applications i stated that i had never been on probation or dismissed, etc.

I will be amending all my apps with an apology and explanation.

I have also talked with the dean of my school who confirmed that i was not properly notified and he is willing to write a letter backing up my claim.

He's sending one to the LSAC and also the schools i applied to.

--------------------

What do you think my process should be in order to clear my name and restore my apps? (like who should i contact first, second, third)

Do you think, if an irregularity report is sent, that the LSAC might (in an extreme situation) ban me from taking the bar exam?

How bad is my situation?

Thanks

kswiss

Bronze

Re: Serious question, help needed

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Did you get copies of your official transcripts when you had them sent to LSAC?

I'm not saying you shouldn't disclose, but I don't think its as big of a deal as some people might say it is. A lot of schools don't officially disclose disciplinary actions against students. I know at a CC I went to to start my UG career, your disciplinary status isn't on the official transcript (I know because I was put on probation but it didn't show on the transcript.)

I don't think you should get LSAC involved at all. If it was an honest mistake, just add an addendum to all of your applications, and if you are "in" at any schools, call admissions and ask how they would like to handle it.

Its not like you lied about the grades, right? That shitty semester is sitting there for all to see. You sent all of the right materials to LSAC, this is between you and the schools.

I personally don't think its that big of a deal. Just let the schools know, and they'll probably add a note to your file and that'll be the end of it.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:50 pm

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:He's sending one to the LSAC and also the schools i applied to.
Did he create a new transcript or something? All LSAC does is compile your official transcripts and create your report. They could care less about your academic history as long as the transcripts are accurate.

I really think that you/your dean took a small mistake and turned it into a bigger deal. I'm trying to think of a reason that LSAC would be involved.

The issue here is that you inadvertently lied on your applications in the C&F section, not whether you falsified transcripts or cheated on the LSAT... I'm trying to figure out why LSAC would come in.

(BTW I wasn't notified either of being on probation. I think that its an automated notation in most computer systems. The only reason I knew was because of an "unofficial transcript" that I was looking at trying to estimate my LSAC GPA).

NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 pm

kswiss wrote:Did you get copies of your official transcripts when you had them sent to LSAC?

I'm not saying you shouldn't disclose, but I don't think its as big of a deal as some people might say it is. A lot of schools don't officially disclose disciplinary actions against students. I know at a CC I went to to start my UG career, your disciplinary status isn't on the official transcript (I know because I was put on probation but it didn't show on the transcript.)

I don't think you should get LSAC involved at all. If it was an honest mistake, just add an addendum to all of your applications, and if you are "in" at any schools, call admissions and ask how they would like to handle it.

Its not like you lied about the grades, right? That shitty semester is sitting there for all to see. You sent all of the right materials to LSAC, this is between you and the schools.

I personally don't think its that big of a deal. Just let the schools know, and they'll probably add a note to your file and that'll be the end of it.
The only reason i was considering getting LSAC involved is because the rep i talked to at the school that originally caught the problem, said that if my explanation doesn't check out, they will send an irregularities report to LSAC. I figure that this school in particular was nice enough to notify me and request an explanation, but another school may not be so nice.

No I didn't lie about my grades. I submitted all my official transcripts.

NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 pm

kswiss wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:He's sending one to the LSAC and also the schools i applied to.
Did he create a new transcript or something? All LSAC does is compile your official transcripts and create your report. They could care less about your academic history as long as the transcripts are accurate.

I really think that you/your dean took a small mistake and turned it into a bigger deal. I'm trying to think of a reason that LSAC would be involved.

The issue here is that you inadvertently lied on your applications in the C&F section, not whether you falsified transcripts or cheated on the LSAT... I'm trying to figure out why LSAC would come in.

(BTW I wasn't notified either of being on probation. I think that its an automated notation in most computer systems. The only reason I knew was because of an "unofficial transcript" that I was looking at trying to estimate my LSAC GPA).
On my academic summary it actually says "Academic Action" for the year 2006, so they do care about probations. Problem is, the school acknowledged that i was never properly notified.

One of the schools i applied to contacted me directly and asked what the deal was. Citing that my summary said "academic action" was taken but i answered "no" to probation.

Upon calling the school, the admissions rep was even able to cite the specific semesters i was on probation and what my GPA was. All from my summary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 pm

OP:

This was an honest mistake, and you have done everything you can to rectify it and prove that it was not your fault. I think you've done a great job so far, and getting the letter from the dean will really help prove your case. You should tell every school as well as the LSAC, and then follow up with them (if you don't get a response) to confirm and clarify any questions they have. I think you'll be fine, and I wouldn't freak out at all.

Just be diligent and make sure you cover all your tracks.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Ah...that makes sense.

In my case (though I did disclose), my transcript didn't say anything about it. It makes sense if it was on your transcript but you answered "no" to the question.

That is pretty cool of the school to let you fix it.

Again, I'd try to keep LSAC out of it if possible. Just say to the school "here is my documentation from the Dean, and it was my error for not noticing it on my transcript. I understand if this oversight affects your admissions decision, and I have chosen to add an addendum to all of my applications about the error."

If they take it up with LSAC, that seems a little anal on their part.

I totally feel for you, since I was I had a very similar situation. Luckily I caught mine, but I'm pretty sure that even if I answered "no" or whatever, it would take some sleuthing on the part of the adcomm to find out, and even then the school would probably deny access. Then again, mine wasn't on the official transcript, so there wouldn't be any discrepancy in the app as in your case.

NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:21 am

Do you guys think I should contact:

1. Just the one school that caught it.
2. All schools.
3. All schools + LSAC

My reasoning for contacting LSAC is because other schools might not be so nice and could report me outright.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:31 am

If you never knew how'd you find out about it after your apps went through?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am

I think best course is to contact all schools, and ask if there is any further action they would like you to take. You could probably exclude schools where you were denied.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 am

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:Do you guys think I should contact:

2. All schools.
3. All schools + LSAC

My reasoning for contacting LSAC is because other schools might not be so nice and could report me outright.
Contact everyone.

NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 am

apper123 wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:Do you guys think I should contact:

2. All schools.
3. All schools + LSAC

Contact everyone.
What do you think would be the best way to tell LSAC?

And what dept. should i ask for (or what number should i call?)

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 am

If you haven't found it yet, here is the LSAC page about it:

http://lsac.org/Applying/misconduct-and ... rities.asp

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”