Want to Practice in NY -- St.Johns or WUSTL?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

SJU
16%
WUSTL
84%

Total votes: 25

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

Postby DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 pm

hello all,
going through a major dilemma. i have a full scholarship lined up at st.john's and i was just awarded a 38,000/yr scholarship at WUSTL, which makes my cost of attendance very affordable.

i am a native new yorker, want to stay in NY, but would be willing to move out of town for 3 years if that means my job prospects in NY are better.

what do you guys think?

Harry Ballsogna

Re: Want to Practice in NY -- St.Johns or WUSTL?

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 pm

With those offers from St. Johns and WUSTL... did you get in anywhere else?

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Yeah, did you not apply to Brooklyn Cardozo Fordham??

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

Postby DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah I did. I applied to fordham -- got dinged. Still waiting to hear from Cardozo. Didn't apply to Brooklyn.

Also in at William and Mary, and Penn St. But nowhere near as much money.

Still waiting to hear from Cornell, Columbia and USC, but I consider them super longshots.

Trust me I was surprised by the package from WashU, I saw that 114,000 dollar scholly, I almost jumped out of my seat.

But the decision remains hard. I just don't know enough about St.Louis and the job prospects out of WUSTL.

ndpfn

Postby ndpfn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 pm

STL: Cheap COL, plenty to do, not a bad place to live at all (though definitely different if you're coming from NYC). The one thing that I think it's important for people to know about STL who aren't from here is that it can be a bit cliquish. The big firms here can sometimes be wary of WUSTLers from out of state because their commitment to staying in STL is questioned. That's why you'll see plenty of SLU grads scooping up offers despite the difference in prestige between the two schools.

A good performance at WU will open doors in Chicago and DC for sure, and maybe NYC to a certain extent. It'll definitely open doors in STL, but you just might have to sell yourself a bit more than someone who went to the same high school (hs is a big deal in STL) as one of the partners. Definitely look closely at WU placement in NYC because I'm not as familiar with it.

With that said and with the money they offered, I would definitely jump on the WU offer.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”