Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tomato Stevens

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

OP, take a second to analyze the consequences of your decision. What if you wait a year and face the possible result of not getting into Harvard next year? Don't tell me you wouldn't be suicidal.

More importantly think of what you may do to your parents. You know that daddy can't wait to tell his buddies at Shaare Zedek Congregation that his son goes to HLS? And how will you be able to go to sleep at night knowing that your mom can't show her face at the tennis club for fear of saying "my son goes to TTT NYU Law" when Rebecca tells her about David's recent acceptance to Johns Hopkins Medical School and Rachel brags about Eli's promotion at Goldman? You'll break their hearts bro.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 pm

CMDantes wrote:Deny both acceptances, don't go to law school, and save the spots for people who actually want to practice law and dream of getting into the t6.

Ugh.

seriously, what sort of fucktard would go to LS without even wanting to be a lawyer

get a fucking Phd in philosophy instead

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:The struggles of the bourgeoisie are legion. I empathize so.

--ImageRemoved--

This might be the funniest thing I have seen on TLS.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:OP, take a second to analyze the consequences of your decision. What if you wait a year and face the possible result of not getting into Harvard next year? Don't tell me you wouldn't be suicidal.

More importantly think of what you may do to your parents. You know that daddy can't wait to tell his buddies at Shaare Zedek Congregation that his son goes to HLS? And how will you be able to go to sleep at night knowing that your mom can't show her face at the tennis club for fear of saying "my son goes to TTT NYU Law" when Rebecca tells her about David's recent acceptance to Johns Hopkins Medical School and Rachel brags about Eli's promotion at Goldman? You'll break their hearts bro.

wow, great first post!!!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

goingtolawschool wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I think the problem is that, for your niche (consulting/business), you're a small fish compared to others. If you're going for the "I'm a smart, successful future business leader," people with the same track record, but more experience/accolades, are going to win every time. On top of that, Yale is not typically the place for people in your niche, which makes the competition for the few they take for "diversity" all the more fierce.

I think you are right. Plus, I stated in my personal statement that I never planed on practicing law and that after law school I wanted to continue working on my start-up. I am sure it didn't help. My pre-law adviser thought it was cute that I was honest and that "YLS admission officers presume that a Yale law degree is the reasonable academic goal of any person on his right mind." I now think it was pure stupidity.

Really? I am not sure. For one, it did the trick at Harvard.

well its a really dumb idea for two reasons.

first, the vast majority of law schools (kind of surprised at H's behavior here, but then again not that surprised) want people that would like to practice law, do a clerkship, public interest, academia, etc; in short, actually use their law degree.

second, if you actually have a startup company going, 3 years of law school and 150k debt is not the way to improve it/grow it. you wouldn't gain any skills that would help grow the company, you would take on a ton of debt which limits your options and makes you get a job, and you would have to devote the vast majority of your time to school. if the career plan was to start a NEW company after law school, it is still a dubious plan (starting a company while in debt is a terrible idea, as once you leave law school you can't get a biglaw job if you go another track), but i guess you could at least argue the brand/contacts would help raise funding (somehow, someway?).

any realistic plan involving entrepreneurship and law school in my opinion would be to first practice corporate law in a firm known for VC work, make contacts, and start a company a few years down the line. the plan certainly wouldn't be to try to keep your company going THROUGH law school and continue working on it after law school.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm

englawyer wrote:
goingtolawschool wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I think the problem is that, for your niche (consulting/business), you're a small fish compared to others. If you're going for the "I'm a smart, successful future business leader," people with the same track record, but more experience/accolades, are going to win every time. On top of that, Yale is not typically the place for people in your niche, which makes the competition for the few they take for "diversity" all the more fierce.

I think you are right. Plus, I stated in my personal statement that I never planed on practicing law and that after law school I wanted to continue working on my start-up. I am sure it didn't help. My pre-law adviser thought it was cute that I was honest and that "YLS admission officers presume that a Yale law degree is the reasonable academic goal of any person on his right mind." I now think it was pure stupidity.

Really? I am not sure. For one, it did the trick at Harvard.

well its a really dumb idea for two reasons.

first, the vast majority of law schools (kind of surprised at H's behavior here, but then again not that surprised) want people that would like to practice law, do a clerkship, public interest, academia, etc; in short, actually use their law degree.

second, if you actually have a startup company going, 3 years of law school and 150k debt is not the way to improve it/grow it. you wouldn't gain any skills that would help grow the company, you would take on a ton of debt which limits your options and makes you get a job, and you would have to devote the vast majority of your time to school. if the career plan was to start a NEW company after law school, it is still a dubious plan (starting a company while in debt is a terrible idea, as once you leave law school you can't get a biglaw job if you go another track), but i guess you could at least argue the brand/contacts would help raise funding (somehow, someway?).

any realistic plan involving entrepreneurship and law school in my opinion would be to first practice corporate law in a firm known for VC work, make contacts, and start a company a few years down the line. the plan certainly wouldn't be to try to keep your company going THROUGH law school and continue working on it after law school.

Debts? I am sorry, you must have mixed the OP up with someone who resides above East 96th or below East 68th.

In all seriousness, I encourage you to reconsider law school. I am sure you can get 2-3 US Senators (or 5-8 if you play your cards right at the next IDF fundraiser) to pull some strings and get you into Harvard Business School despite your young age. At the very least consider JD/MBA.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:Debts? I am sorry, you must have mixed the OP up with someone who resides above East 96th or below East 68th.

In all seriousness, I encourage you to reconsider law school. I am sure you can get 2-3 US Senators (or 5-8 if you play your cards right at the next IDF fundraiser) to pull some strings and get you into Harvard Business School despite your young age. At the very least consider JD/MBA.

wow, Tomato really has the OP nailed down as a rich trust fund kid from NYC.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm

adameus wrote:
Tomato Stevens wrote:Debts? I am sorry, you must have mixed the OP up with someone who resides above East 96th or below East 68th.

I went to high school and college with them. I can smell them from miles.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:
adameus wrote:

haha you have a good point, although my point still stays to some degree. it is a better idea to put the 150k into the business than to purchase a law school degree and spend 3 years studying for something of questionable value to the business (assuming his true intentions really are to grow and develop the business, and he is not just trying to play up a soft factor).

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
bigchris1313 wrote:The struggles of the bourgeoisie are legion. I empathize so.

--ImageRemoved--

This might be the funniest thing I have seen on TLS.

+1

Chianti2013

Postby Chianti2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm too lazy to figure out how to quote someone, but this is in response to Sangiovese:

I recall someone citing themselves as a Magic 8 Ball told the OP already that s/he would get ding'ed next year, but OP doesn't strike me as the type who'll just listen to that and accept it. I "thumped my chest" about it precisely b/c OP really needs to have this risk highlighted and explained so that he can make a more thought out decision other than "someone online claimed I'd get ding'ed". OP will probably benefit more from a careful cost-benefit analysis based on as much reasoned information as possible.

Sorry I didn't give you credit for having mentioned this earlier.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 pm

englawyer wrote:
Tomato Stevens wrote:
adameus wrote:

haha you have a good point, although my point still stays to some degree. it is a better idea to put the 150k into the business than to purchase a law school degree and spend 3 years studying for something of questionable value to the business (assuming his true intentions really are to grow and develop the business, and he is not just trying to play up a soft factor).

Well, if money is not an issue then if the dude wants to go get a fancy JD or MD or PhD, I say why not? The most rational degree choice for his desired career path is certainly an MBA. That said, a JD might benefit him in other ways even if he ends up not practicing law. I know I would personally get an MBA, but each to his own... OP sounds like he's got his shit together and I am sure he'll be fine (just don't wait for Yale, it's not worth it).

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:
adameus wrote:

Where did you go to HS (serious question)?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:59 pm

my point is that time = money, especially at a startup. taking a 3 year hiatus from a business will certainly have it fail, as competitors would swoop in and crush it. if you actually figure out a way to make decent money, you need to innovate etc to stay ahead. a friend of a friend runs a successful internet startup and he spends most of his day figuring out how to squash/get ahead of copycats. 3 years of law school would not be conducive to such an environment.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

crackberry wrote:
Tomato Stevens wrote:
adameus wrote:

Where did you go to HS (serious question)?

Dalton

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:Dalton

Ahh, we kicked your ass in sports all the time.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:12 pm

I stopped reading this thread at inter alia. God damn, that is douchey.
Last edited by T14_Scholly on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:15 pm

crackberry wrote:

Bronx Science would be my guess lol. Dude, physical activities other than lifting your right arm to catch a cab are foreign to 97% of my high school classmates. But me, I'm a jock. No one from Bronx Science will ever beat me.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Bronx Science would be my guess lol. Dude, physical activities other than lifting your right arm to catch a cab are foreign to 97% of my high school classmates. But me, I'm a jock. No one from Bronx Science will ever beat me.

Yeah, it was actually amazing how consistently terrible Dalton was at sports. I don't know if we ever lost to you. Maybe once in soccer or something.

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:19 pm

If I didn't know any better I would say that the OP is the love-child of 2 TLSers. a 21-yr old, Yale or bust kid, could only be the product of two of it's members. Whoever you are, you 2 should be ashamed of yourselves. Oh wait, you already are, because of the whole 'not getting into Yale thing'. This should make for some awkward holidays...

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Chianti2013 wrote:I'm too lazy to figure out how to quote someone, but this is in response to Sangiovese:

I recall someone citing themselves as a Magic 8 Ball told the OP already that s/he would get ding'ed next year, but OP doesn't strike me as the type who'll just listen to that and accept it. I "thumped my chest" about it precisely b/c OP really needs to have this risk highlighted and explained so that he can make a more thought out decision other than "someone online claimed I'd get ding'ed". OP will probably benefit more from a careful cost-benefit analysis based on as much reasoned information as possible.

Sorry I didn't give you credit for having mentioned this earlier.

I'm not sure that you provided any more "reasoned information" than was provided previously.

In my original post (after my oh so witty magic 8-ball comment) I said, "But you have to honestly evaluate your chances of improving your application enough while sitting out a year to make the risk worth it. You're not only risking a year - you're also risking a HLS acceptance." Which is pretty much exactly what you said... only you used three paragraphs to say it.

As for the credit/chest thumping thing. I don't need anyone else who shares similar thoughts to credit me if I happened to post before them. My snarky response was entirely due to your pompous attitude presenting yourself as the only one who was able to spot that issue. You are not nearly as much of a unique snowflake as your mother told you.

As for not knowing how to quote a post... I guess it's pretty easy to get into HLS these days. Here's a clue. It has something to do with the big button that says "Quote" on it. Eerily similar to the one that says "Reply" You're a smart guy, make that cognitive leap!"

Nice user name though... I'm sure you are aware that Chianti is a blended wine and that sangiovese is the majority component of that blend. In essence, I am your father!

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:52 pm

crackberry wrote:
Tomato Stevens wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yeah, it was actually amazing how consistently terrible Dalton was at sports. I don't know if we ever lost to you. Maybe once in soccer or something.

I'm suddenly interested in this conversation... did you actually go to Bronx Science, crackberry?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:53 pm

GeePee wrote:I'm suddenly interested in this conversation... did you actually go to Bronx Science, crackberry?

Nope, I'll PM you.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:43 pm

If you don't suck it up and go to Harvard, I will wish horrible violent pain upon you.

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:41 pm

suck it up and go to Harvard

I can't believe these words have to even be said. What kind of elitist snobs are TLSers when going to Harvard is something you have to be told to "suck up" and deal with?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”