Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Tip of the hat to YLS for rejecting a self-entitled douche. Their stock just went up a notch in my book. Also, wag of the finger to HLS ;)

HLS is the number whoring diploma mill of YHS.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Tip of the hat to YLS for rejecting a self-entitled douche. Their stock just went up a notch in my book. Also, wag of the finger to HLS ;)

HLS the a number whoring diploma mill of YHS.

HBS is also by far the biggest diploma mill of HSW b-schools, yet it's rated number 1 school. Having more people to contact isn't necessarily bad if you can distinguish yourself at H. Easier to do so at H than at Y where everyone is super human.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.

Your presumptuousness is astounding. However, if you're looking for an answer as to why you were dinged, I bolded it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.

Your presumptuousness is astounding. However, if you're looking for an answer as to why you were dinged, I bolded it.

50%+ of their class is at or below their median. Being just below their median with a hard major and an LSAT above median is a good place to be.

The real answer is that Yale has a tiny class, and tons of qualified applicants. Not everyone can get in.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:03 pm

I still can't get over the fact that someone used "inter alia" on a message board post.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

i didn't even know something like inter alia existed until i read this topic

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 pm

GeePee wrote:I still can't get over the fact that someone used "inter alia" on a message board post.

I can think of no more suitable person than someone who hates his life for being rejected by YLS, but accepted at HLS.

Like someone whining that they only won 1 million instead of 1.5 million dollars in the lottery.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:15 pm

sayan wrote:
GeePee wrote:I still can't get over the fact that someone used "inter alia" on a message board post.

I can think of no more suitable person than someone who hates his life for being rejected by YLS, but accepted at HLS.

Like someone whining that they only won 1 million instead of 1.5 million dollars in the lottery.

Yes, I suppose Yale is only 1.5 times as good as Harvard.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
sayan wrote:

I should have known that would be analogized... :lol:

To be fair, the effective difference between YLS and HLS is inversely correlated with a student's class rank at each school. A top 10% student would have very similar opportunities at both schools while a median student would have some considerable differences. At the bottom of the class, the difference in opportunities is enormous. I would say though that the larger alumni network of HLS is an oft-ignored benefit. Another consideration is the caliber of competition at YLS would be uniformly higher so distinguishing yourself among that group is probably a lot harder.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 pm

sayan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
sayan wrote:

I should have known that would be analogized... :lol:

To be fair, the effective difference between YLS and HLS is inversely correlated with a student's class rank at each school. A top 10% student would have very similar opportunities at both schools while a median student would have some considerable differences. At the bottom of the class, the difference in opportunities is enormous. I would say though that the larger alumni network of HLS is an oft-ignored benefit. Another consideration is the caliber of competition at YLS would be uniformly higher so distinguishing yourself among that group is probably a lot harder.

I think you got mixed up a little between HLS and Yale and two other schools. No such thing as "top 10%" at neither HLS or Yale, no real difference in job prospects for people with just "Pass" grades at HLS or Yale. Competition and overall quality of student body are the same in both schools. Just don't volunteer your opinion in matters you know nothing about.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

There is indeed a formal distinction for top 10% students at HLS (Magna Cum Laude) and while no such distinction exists at YLS, the H/P system lets one roughly approximate a student's class rank. I am just saying that if you have all H's at both schools, the opportunities are similar.

But for a median student at both schools, there will be a difference. The fact that far fewer YLSies go on to corp. law for example, in addition to firms' desire to hire a sample from each school, means that it's easier to enter a V20 firm as a median YLSie vs. the glut of HLSies looking for a similar position.

The caliber of competition may be similar at both, but I have a feeling YLS looks closer at who will excel in law classes than HLS, given the holistic vs. number-based admission systems at each school, respectively. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that those same admitted students at YLS will indeed go on to be better law students on average than the students at HLS.
Last edited by sayan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomato Stevens

Postby Tomato Stevens » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Speaking of douche bags...God, I hope JR is reading this thread.
OP, be strong and don't let the NYU Law crowd bring you down!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:06 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
bigchris1313 wrote:The struggles of the bourgeoisie are legion. I empathize so.

--ImageRemoved--

This might be the funniest thing I have seen on TLS.

+666, holy shit

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 am

$10 says one of the LORs actually said "to tell you the truth, this kid is kind of a dick"

goingtolawschool

Postby goingtolawschool » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm

underdawg wrote:$10 says one of the LORs actually said "to tell you the truth, this kid is kind of a dick"

Yeah, I heard that Harvard loved those.

aad

Postby aad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Reapplying next year is a bad idea.

You face the risk of not getting into Harvard next cycle and getting into Yale is not a safe bet the second time around.

Moreover you are taking a serious risk in order to get an intangible return. If your reason for desiring YLS over HLS is purely based on ego, then you need to grow up. If you have a more substantive reason (e.g. there is this specific professor at YLS with whom you just have to study since you want to become an academic), then go to HLS and transfer next year; work hard on getting good grades instead of playing the admissions crap shoot all over again.

MentalGopher

Postby MentalGopher » Wed May 05, 2010 6:58 am

If I google 'pompous douchebag,' this thread comes up on the first page.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu May 06, 2010 1:38 pm

What happened to SLS' decision?

if you didn't get in there either, then I find something suspicious about your softs.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm

+1 to my hallowed brethren who narrowed in on the real issue here - this kid is jealous of his brother and his brother is probably kind of a dick and will hold YLS > HLS over his head for all his career.

tru

Postby tru » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:48 pm

here's what i find troubling:

you now show yourself as someone who will only accept yale. this is evident, based on the fact that you are rejecting the next (and second) best law school in the country. so we can assume you probably should've JUST applied at yale; especially considering that you never intended on attending any other law school.

so why did you apply at harvard and stanford?

i think it's because you figured you'd get in at all three and you just wanted the ego boost.

you're a douche.

well, you're a douche if you don't go to harvard this year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”