Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anynumberoftoppings
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby anynumberoftoppings » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Tomato Stevens wrote:OP, take a second to analyze the consequences of your decision. What if you wait a year and face the possible result of not getting into Harvard next year? Don't tell me you wouldn't be suicidal.

More importantly think of what you may do to your parents. You know that daddy can't wait to tell his buddies at Shaare Zedek Congregation that his son goes to HLS? And how will you be able to go to sleep at night knowing that your mom can't show her face at the tennis club for fear of saying "my son goes to TTT NYU Law" when Rebecca tells her about David's recent acceptance to Johns Hopkins Medical School and Rachel brags about Eli's promotion at Goldman? You'll break their hearts bro.

This was, by far, my favorite reply in this thread. And you were pretty close with the street numbers (though not the right side of the park). A little scary, I gotta say.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice-- I read everything carefully. I recognize the benefits and the downsides of attending HLS next year and of taking a year off and re-applying to YLS. I change my mind every 5 minutes from one extreme to the other. No idea what I'm gonna do. I'm going to Cambridge (again...) next Friday and I'll take a look at HBS, too. Hopefully, that's gonna help me decide.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 pm

OP - what HS did YOU go to (again, serious question. Feel free to PM me)?

anynumberoftoppings
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby anynumberoftoppings » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 pm

crackberry wrote:OP - what HS did YOU go to (again, serious question. Feel free to PM me)?

Didn't attend HS in the US. I am probably a little more redneck-y than you two.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:
crackberry wrote:OP - what HS did YOU go to (again, serious question. Feel free to PM me)?

Didn't attend HS in the US. I am probably a little more redneck-y than you two.

Oh right, you spent 17 years abroad or whatever.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:43 am

Am I the only one curious about how OP's JR1 went?
JR: So your PS says you don't want to practice law. You also don't seem to express much interest in teaching law or politics. Why exactly do you want to come to Harvard Law School?

If JR did not ask this question I would be surprised. If he did, I'm curious what OP said in response.

Regarding reapplying at Yale, don't bother. They will always have your PS from this cycle and they will always reject you because of it.

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 am

.
Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anynumberoftoppings
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby anynumberoftoppings » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 am

existenz wrote:Am I the only one curious about how OP's JR1 went?
JR: So your PS says you don't want to practice law. You also don't seem to express much interest in teaching law or politics. Why exactly do you want to come to Harvard Law School?

If JR did not ask this question I would be surprised. If he did, I'm curious what OP said in response.

Regarding reapplying at Yale, don't bother. They will always have your PS from this cycle and they will always reject you because of it.

I said the truth-- I have a strong interest in international and comparative law and in corporate governance and securities law. The last two will be a great deal of help as they will allow me to essentially be the general counsel of my start-up (or at least posses the knowledge of a general counsel) and make better business decisions. He proceeded to ask me questions about my start-up. I explained how my summer internship in consulting illustrated the daily benefits of a law degree in managerial decision making and asked him how he used his law degree when he was an engagement manager.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah most general counsels learned how to do their job in a classroom.

anynumberoftoppings
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby anynumberoftoppings » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:54 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Yeah most general counsels learned how to do their job in a classroom.

Not necessarily, but they wouldn't have learned to do their jobs but-for classrooms. The more detail-oriented the class is (think securities regulation), the more the classroom component comes into play. Do I think I'll be the best general counsel straight out of law school? No. Do I think that not being the best is good enough a reason to stay away from my field of interest? Well, based on the topic of this thread I have a hard time arguing to the contrary, but seriously, no; it's not a valid argument.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby englawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.


+1

anynumberoftoppings
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby anynumberoftoppings » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.

No worries, I was advised to do this multiple times in this thread. This is my answer to you-- my sheer interest in law, that is independent from job prospects and income considerations, triumphs everything else. If my goal was to make as much money as possible in the next five years, I wouldn't consider law school. But it's not my goal and I know that now is the only time in my life that I can learn things that interest me without overly caring of my business. Re my start-up: fortunately, I am not the only employee and it has so far been operating the way it has without being my top priority. I hope it continues to do so also while I'm in law school. But you're right, if I am not ready to completely commit to it, my current start-up is probably more of a (time consuming, money consuming, effort consuming) hobby at the moment.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

anynumberoftoppings wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.

No worries, I was advised to do this multiple times in this thread. This is my answer to you-- my sheer interest in law, that is independent from job prospects and income considerations, triumphs everything else. If my goal was to make as much money as possible in the next five years, I wouldn't consider law school. But it's not my goal and I know now is the only time in my life I can learn things that interest me without overly caring of my business. And you're right, my current start-up is probably more of a (time consuming, money consuming, effort consuming) hobby at the moment.


Do you have 200 thousand dollars to blow on an interest? Because squandering a fifth of a million dollars on curiosity is not merely the opposite of " make as much money as possible in the next five years."

If your family is wealthy then do whatever you want. But if you are taking debt on to do this it will be the worst mistake you ever made.

However if law is really just an interest for you why are you focused on Yale. You don't think you'll learn different law at Yale than NYU do you? And also law is the most interesting thing you can think to study? Really?

If my family were giving me tons of money, and I had your goals and interests, I'd take HLS and try to backdoor my why into HBS for a JD/MBA.

But lets be honest this is about competing with your brother. Top of the class at HLS is better than Yale anyway so go get em.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:30 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Yeah most general counsels learned how to do their job in a classroom.

Not necessarily, but they wouldn't have learned to do their jobs but-for classrooms. The more detail-oriented the class is (think securities regulation), the more the classroom component comes into play. Do I think I'll be the best general counsel straight out of law school? No. Do I think that not being the best is good enough a reason to stay away from my field of interest? Well, based on the topic of this thread I have a hard time arguing to the contrary, but seriously, no; it's not a valid argument.


It's not a question of not being the best, it's a question of not knowing jack shit.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

This doesn't bode well for me as a former Hillel vice president.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.

No worries, I was advised to do this multiple times in this thread. This is my answer to you-- my sheer interest in law, that is independent from job prospects and income considerations, triumphs everything else. If my goal was to make as much money as possible in the next five years, I wouldn't consider law school. But it's not my goal and I know now is the only time in my life I can learn things that interest me without overly caring of my business. And you're right, my current start-up is probably more of a (time consuming, money consuming, effort consuming) hobby at the moment.


Do you have 200 thousand dollars to blow on an interest? Because squandering a fifth of a million dollars on curiosity is not merely the opposite of " make as much money as possible in the next five years."

If your family is wealthy then do whatever you want. But if you are taking debt on to do this it will be the worst mistake you ever made.

However if law is really just an interest for you why are you focused on Yale. You don't think you'll learn different law at Yale than NYU do you? And also law is the most interesting thing you can think to study? Really?

If my family were giving me tons of money, and I had your goals and interests, I'd take HLS and try to backdoor my why into HBS for a JD/MBA.

But lets be honest this is about competing with your brother. Top of the class at HLS is better than Yale anyway so go get em.


Truth.

jimmyj
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Congrats on getting into Harvard! Don't worry about Yale--you'll show them down the road and be great :)

anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby MJMD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Zara wrote:
suck it up and go to Harvard


I can't believe these words have to even be said. What kind of elitist snobs are TLSers when going to Harvard is something you have to be told to "suck up" and deal with?


Personally, even if the OP gets into Yale next year, I think he should defer and hold out for a spot at the Platonic Academy circa 350 B.C.

jimmyj
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Desert Fox is a flaming douche bag whore...don't listen to this ignorant ass.

Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Wait and reapply. You have to believe in yourself.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

jimmyj wrote:Desert Fox is a flaming douche bag whore...don't listen to this ignorant ass.

Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.


Your assumption that someone would pay me for sex is the best complement I've had all week thanks bro.

jimmyj
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

I dont agree with Desert Fox...I think you should go to HLS. If the OP wants to waste 200K, let him or her do so. It's their money--not yours or mine.

Desert Fox wrote:
jimmyj wrote:Desert Fox is a flaming douche bag whore...don't listen to this ignorant ass.

Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone telling this guy to go to HLS? He doesn't want to practice law. Taking 200K in loans to get a useless degree is massively stupid.

If this guy is as smart, wealthy and connected as you are all assuming, he should find a consulting job, wait until he has enough W/E and then apply to HBS.

Or he should work on his start up full time. But if he thinks he can do law school while running it, I'm guessing his start up is more of a hobby than a business.


Your assumption that someone would pay me for sex is the best complement I've had all week thanks bro.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 pm

jimmyj wrote:I dont agree with Desert Fox...I think you should go to HLS. If the OP wants to waste 200K, let him or her do so. It's their money--not yours or mine.


OP doesn't want to go to HLS though. That is the point of this thread.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Tip of the hat to YLS for rejecting a self-entitled douche. Their stock just went up a notch in my book. Also, wag of the finger to HLS ;)

jimmyj
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Postby jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Then the OP is crazy for not wanting to go to HLS

Desert Fox wrote:
jimmyj wrote:I dont agree with Desert Fox...I think you should go to HLS. If the OP wants to waste 200K, let him or her do so. It's their money--not yours or mine.


OP doesn't want to go to HLS though. That is the point of this thread.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: checkcheckgo and 2 guests