Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anynumberoftoppings

New

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Post by anynumberoftoppings » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote:
Rockymountain wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... itorsPicks

Hope this article makes you feel better.
Ha you are cute. Thanks for making me smile.

Don't get me wrong guys, I am completely aware of the fact that HLS is a great law school. Additionally, HLS also has the benefit of being associated with HBS, which is better than Yale School of Management. But you know, I am in such a shitty mood that I can't think reasonably right now. Also, what I didn't say in previous posts is that my brother has graduated from YLS (with much lower numbers, btw) and that fact joined the list of impulsive factors that made me so hung up on YLS. I may feel better about this whole ding drama tomorrow...
This is a very strange locution.
To address your concerns about my grammar, the speculation about me being an international student (in the sense that I lived 17 years abroad) was correct.

dlac

New

Post by dlac » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't get the feeling, unlike others here, that you feel a sense of entitlement. I just see a guy who was rejected from his dream school. It stings and probably hurts no matter what school you're talking about--Yale, Chicago, UCLA, Fordham and so on. Sure your fallback alternative (Harvard) is awesome, but you deserve some slack.

I strongly encourage you to take a year off and take it all in, think about your life goals/etc. and write a new and refreshing PS that illustrates your newfound perspective. I took a step back after graduation and did some unique PI work, it wasn't glamorous and impressive but it was definitely one of the most valuable experiences in my life. Take yourself out of the rat race that so many people get lost in.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.
no dude, wait a year

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 pm

ConMan345 wrote:I think the problem is that, for your niche (consulting/business), you're a small fish compared to others. If you're going for the "I'm a smart, successful future business leader," people with the same track record, but more experience/accolades, are going to win every time. On top of that, Yale is not typically the place for people in your niche, which makes the competition for the few they take for "diversity" all the more fierce.
I think you are right. Plus, I stated in my personal statement that I never planed on practicing law and that after law school I wanted to continue working on my start-up. I am sure it didn't help. My pre-law adviser thought it was cute that I was honest and that "YLS admission officers presume that a Yale law degree is the reasonable academic goal of any person on his right mind." I now think it was pure stupidity.
lol?

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Flame.

As a side note: My penis is 12 inches (flaccid) and I was hoping it would be 18 when erect. However, it's only 17.5. Should I get surgery or take supplements?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Don't get me wrong guys, I am completely aware of the fact that HLS is a great law school. Additionally, HLS also has the benefit of being associated with HBS, which is better than Yale School of Management. But you know, I am in such a shitty mood that I can't think reasonably right now. Also, what I didn't say in previous posts is that my brother has graduated from YLS (and had much lower numbers, btw) and that fact joined the list of impulsive factors that made me so hung up on YLS. I may feel better about this whole ding drama tomorrow...
--ImageRemoved--

goingtolawschool

New

Post by goingtolawschool » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 am

OK so before I saw the "my brother attended Yale and that's why I am obsessed with Yale" part I was about to suggest you express noticeable interest in Stanford and try to make them say yes, because Stanford is the the most Yalie, non-Yale law school.

Dude, Harvard. Even if you got into Yale, Harvard would be a better fit for you. And if not Harvard, be sure to apply to Columbia if you haven't already, because it's a better school for you than Yale and they'll give you a full ride.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 am

englawyer wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I think the problem is that, for your niche (consulting/business), you're a small fish compared to others. If you're going for the "I'm a smart, successful future business leader," people with the same track record, but more experience/accolades, are going to win every time. On top of that, Yale is not typically the place for people in your niche, which makes the competition for the few they take for "diversity" all the more fierce.
I think you are right. Plus, I stated in my personal statement that I never planed on practicing law and that after law school I wanted to continue working on my start-up. I am sure it didn't help. My pre-law adviser thought it was cute that I was honest and that "YLS admission officers presume that a Yale law degree is the reasonable academic goal of any person on his right mind." I now think it was pure stupidity.
lol?
lol.

goingtolawschool

New

Post by goingtolawschool » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 am

ConMan345 wrote:
englawyer wrote:
lol?
lol.
Really? I am not sure. For one, it did the trick at Harvard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am

goingtolawschool wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
englawyer wrote:
anynumberoftoppings wrote: I think you are right. Plus, I stated in my personal statement that I never planed on practicing law and that after law school I wanted to continue working on my start-up. I am sure it didn't help. My pre-law adviser thought it was cute that I was honest and that "YLS admission officers presume that a Yale law degree is the reasonable academic goal of any person on his right mind." I now think it was pure stupidity.
lol?
lol.
Really? I am not sure. For one, it did the trick at Harvard.

Oh the magic of law schools outside of YLS, SLS and (to a lesser extent) Berkeley. (translation: your numbers did the trick; and besides, our point is that Yale is very different from Harvard, and that's why it's no surprise they weren't looking for someone who will never practice law)

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 am

Harvard sucks. You're screwed.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 am

your personal statement topic was risky and had little potential for big returns. bad investment.

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 am

Ok, none of us (hopefully) buy into the fairytale claim that anyone can go to Yale as long as they work hard enough.

In light of that fact, your "conundrum" here is extraordinarily conceited and reflects what is probably a serious character flaw. I do not want to disparage you or to sound mean but you really need to wake up and smell the roses.

Fact is, in order to do as well as you have done in life, you must have been born with a lot of talent. You were blessed. The number of people out there who, despite the most earnest effort, could not come close to achieving what you have (Harvard and likely Stanford acceptance) is bewildering.

My advice: take your Harvard acceptance, be EXTREMELY grateful that you have been so blessed, go graduate from that school and move on to a successful career. It really does take incredible chutzpah to come onto a forum and complain about getting into Harvard and not Yale. Really. Go count your blessings man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 am

Seriously, stop your whiny bitching and go to Harvard. You're just pissed you got rejected because you were assuming a sure thing, shit happens, life's a bitch, (insert stupid saying here). Use your talents at Harvard, you'll probably be happy you did. Unless you already did the Harvard thing for UG, which I doubt because you would have mentioned it already.

Chianti2013

New

Post by Chianti2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 am

To the OP:

I seldom visit much less post on this forum, but your question got my attention. I'm going to ignore the accusations of flame and give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you are a flame, good job - you got me.

Anyways, I am of the opinion that you are not a douche, but you are someone who lacks perspective. Okay, I take that back: you got into HLS, so there's a good chance that you could be a douche, but that's pretty irrelevant to me right now. What's important is that you wake up and understand what the world is really like and that this reality is something that you weren't prepared for before your rejection from Yale. Get used to it, because it's going to keep coming at you like this.

One of the best ways for you to get this perspective is to take some time off between undergrad and law school, but you're in the tricky position of being admitted to HLS (which doesn't just hand out deferrals like candy like some of the other T6 do) and probably not having lined up something for next year yet. If you want to take a year off to explore something else and possibly reapply to Yale, then you will probably have to turn HLS down, as they will not automatically allow you to defer your acceptance (unless they already did, in which case the point is moot).

If Harvard does allow you to defer, you will be awaiting matriculation at HLS while applying to Yale this coming fall (or possibly later if you want to defer that much). This is going to be a problem, as every law school will ask on its application whether you're already holding a deferred acceptance from another law school. I cannot imagine that answering "yes" to this question would reflect well upon you in the eyes of the YLS admissions office.

I'm pretty sure you need to hear this next part since no one else here has said it to you. The bigger problem for you is if Harvard does not allow you to defer, thus forcing you to turn them down in order to have another shot at Yale. If you turn down Harvard this year, you run the serious risk of not being admitted in the future, as this will be noted by the admissions committee. Is the risk of not even getting HLS (which you already have in the bag) worth it to you in order to have another chance at tasting the ambrosia that is Yale? Only you can answer this question for yourself, but it seems from the general tone of the responses in this thread that you would be pretty damn crazy to throw away HLS for that.

Anyway, this is just another issue to consider. I'm sure that the perspective I'm talking about will come to you with time, whether you wait on law school or not. Sooner is probably better than later. In the interim, I do recommend just going to HLS and being happy with it. You seem like a smart enough kid, so if we end up in the same section come fall, we could even form a study group. Doesn't that make up for Yale already?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 am

seespotrun wrote:Flame.

As a side note: My penis is 12 inches (flaccid) and I was hoping it would be 18 when erect. However, it's only 17.5. Should I get surgery or take supplements?
chop it off, start over next year
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 am

Chianti2013 wrote: I'm pretty sure you need to hear this next part since no one else here has said it to you. The bigger problem for you is if Harvard does not allow you to defer, thus forcing you to turn them down in order to have another shot at Yale. If you turn down Harvard this year, you run the serious risk of not being admitted in the future, as this will be noted by the admissions committee.
If you're going to claim to bring a new perspective, thump your chest about it, and put in bold letters that nobody else has said it.... maybe you should be sure that nobody else has said it. Of course... it could be easy to miss... it was buried all way down on the FIRST page.

:roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

Sangiovese wrote:
Chianti2013 wrote: I'm pretty sure you need to hear this next part since no one else here has said it to you. The bigger problem for you is if Harvard does not allow you to defer, thus forcing you to turn them down in order to have another shot at Yale. If you turn down Harvard this year, you run the serious risk of not being admitted in the future, as this will be noted by the admissions committee.
If you're going to claim to bring a new perspective, thump your chest about it, and put in bold letters that nobody else has said it.... maybe you should be sure that nobody else has said it. Of course... it could be easy to miss... it was buried all way down on the FIRST page.

:roll:

I think chianti was definitely trying to say that no one who is on his or her way to HLS has said it...

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:11 am

neskerdoo wrote: I think chianti was definitely trying to say that no one who is on his or her way to HLS has said it...
I can't believe someone would disrespect the magic 8-ball like that!

:shock:

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

Go to Harvard. Simple decision, Save for the fact that you should perhaps reconsider going to law school at all if you don't want to practice law. Harvard will set you up to get your pick of legal job, but if you are entering law school not wanting to practice law, you will be in misery paying off all your debt by working at a big law firm.

On a side note, never do ANYTHING because family members did it. That too is a path to unhappiness.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

legalease9 wrote: On a side note, never do ANYTHING because family members did it. That too is a path to unhappiness.
+1. Don't go where your brother went, dude. Forge your own path; that way, you'll be able to rock the HLS alum network and he won't ;)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am

r2b2ct wrote:

Don't get me wrong guys, I am completely aware of the fact that HLS is a great law school. Additionally, HLS also has the benefit of being associated with HBS, which is better than Yale School of Management. But you know, I am in such a shitty mood that I can't think reasonably right now. Also, what I didn't say in previous posts is that my brother has graduated from YLS (and had much lower numbers, btw) and that fact joined the list of impulsive factors that made me so hung up on YLS. I may feel better about this whole ding drama tomorrow...
--ImageRemoved--
FTW!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 am

Deny both acceptances, don't go to law school, and save the spots for people who actually want to practice law and dream of getting into the t6.

Ugh.

SBimmer

New

Post by SBimmer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

OP - stop whining and go to business school. You're wasting a Law School seat, that someone who really wants to practice law, can use. BTW - stop being an brat. You sound like you've had too much sand kicked in your fact while at the beach.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:02 pm

The struggles of the bourgeoisie are legion. I empathize so.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”