Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anynumberoftoppings

New

Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Post by anynumberoftoppings » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.

MellonCollie

New

Re: Yale Out; Harvard In; Stanford Pending; Confused

Post by MellonCollie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

I realize I should be grateful for my HLS acceptance, but it's just too difficult to let my YLS dreams go. Will it be completely unreasonable to wait a year and re-apply to YLS? I would love to hear if one of you got accepted to HYS (and YLS, specifically) after being previously rejected and what you did in the interim and/or how you handled your succeeding application differently. Please feel free to respond in this thread or MP me. I'd really appreciate your help.

Yes, it's unreasonable. You certainly have great qualifications, but so do a lot of other people, and you'll feel a lot better when you realize that there is some degree of arbitrariness to admissions decisions. You certainly can't count on getting in next year (regardless of what you do), and you'll have burned a year for nothing.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Your GPA is below their median and you're non-URM. Why are you so shocked?

nicdmx

New

Post by nicdmx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Look at the bright side: you don't have to live in New Haven.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

If you feel entitled, you're unworthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

anynumberoftoppings wrote:Just got dinged at YLS and I am very frustrated and upset. I know that counting on getting into YLS is always a mistake, but I let myself do it. I thought I had great softs (inter alia, set up my own start-up at 19, Hillel Vice President and President, internships in a big pharmaceutical company and a top consulting firm, and four great LOR's, including one from my provost), my LSAT is at the 75th percentile and my UGPA (in biomedical engineering) is just slightly below their median. I don't know what I did wrong and I don't know why they didn't like me and what the the hell they're looking for.

To be honest, you're below one median and your softs aren't all that great. That isn't going to change in a year. Also, my douche-o-meter went crazy when I saw that you put inter alia when you listed your softs. Something tells me that they might've picked up on that, too.

mhernton

Bronze

Post by mhernton » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 pm

I wish I had your problems....

nicdmx

New

Post by nicdmx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

To be honest, you're below one median and your softs aren't all that great. That isn't going to change in a year. Also, my douche-o-meter went crazy when I saw that you put inter alia when you listed your softs. Something tells me that they might've picked up on that, too.

And who wants to read 4 LORs anyway....

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:If you feel entitled, you're unworthy.
Dude are you serious, he is talking about getting into a law school not being appointed to the fucking papacy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm

applying next year probably won't make a difference, if you really want to go, get lucky at HLS and transfer

chopsticks3092

New

Post by chopsticks3092 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Why do you want to go to YLS so much over HLS?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

That's just the nature of YLS and the position of being the #1 law school in the country. I would just take your HLS acceptance.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't think its unreasonable at all to wait a year. Have some people who you trust lead over your personal statement to see if there are things in there that may have made you look bad. While you can't improve your GPA in the interim year, you can certainly do something (are you still in UG?) that makes you much more appealing.

At most, it's one year and you'd be still only 23 (if you're in UG). There's no harm in letting a dream go just because it failed the first time.

Oh also, don't listen to the other naysayers in this thread; you're the only person who can judge your goals accurately. If you feel that you want to take one more shot, you should do so. Your backup in Harvard will be available again next year anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Why do you want to go to YLS so much over HLS?
I know. OP's "plight" is pretty laughable. Most would kill to be accepted to Harvard. Don't put your life on hold for a year to reapply just go to Harvard.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm

My douche meter went off the charts as well. Obviously very smart and will be very successful but if you wrote your PS like this post maybe thats why you got dinged.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Go ahead and reapply to your dream school, and leave your HLS spot for those who'd be happy to go there.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 pm

I have no place posting in a HY thread but I agree with the New Haven point.. Boston will be a much better experience.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Does anyone have an Amazon link to a deuche o meter they would recommend? No cheap shit...I want quality.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:23 pm

If Yale is the one and only place you will go, then ya, wait and reapply. Do something extremely distinguishing and take a year or two investing in it.

However, you have to realize, in a mature fashion, that you may never get into Yale no matter what course of action you take. The world sucks and there are always many more people out there that are more accomplished, more deserving, probably better looking, and more intelligent than you...and they want what you want.

Examine why you really are attached to Yale and figure it out. If it's the prestige, I'm sure the cocoon of the crimson H can wash that all away and have you disparaging Yalies in no time.

If it is some sort of opportunity, which I doubt it is aside from simply going there, then seek out other avenues to obtain the goal. When you are getting admitted to Harvard, and potentially Stanford, you likely have many ways to get what you want.

As a side note: you sound whiny.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 pm

you people are retarded

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 pm

No reason to wait and reapply unless there's the prospect of your GPA increasing. With LSAT at 75th and GPA below median, there is no reason to be surprised. I don't think there's such thing as "great softs" when you're applying to Yale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anynumberoftoppings

New

Post by anynumberoftoppings » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 pm

gossipgirl wrote:I don't think its unreasonable at all to wait a year. Have some people who you trust lead over your personal statement to see if there are things in there that may have made you look bad. While you can't improve your GPA in the interim year, you can certainly do something (are you still in UG?) that makes you much more appealing.

At most, it's one year and you'd be still only 23 (if you're in UG). There's no harm in letting a dream go just because it failed the first time.

Oh also, don't listen to the other naysayers in this thread; you're the only person who can judge your goals accurately. If you feel that you want to take one more shot, you should do so. Your backup in Harvard will be available again next year anyway.
Thanks for your reply. Right now, I'm leaning towards reapplying next year. Yup, still in undergrad and starting law school at 22 instead of 21 is not a huge deal for me. During that year, I'll try to make my resume more interesting and I kind of like the idea of taking some time to travel and do things I've been planning to do for a long time and never had time. So even if they reject me again, it probably wouldn't be just a waste of time.

And to all of those who called my a douche, whether it's because I typed inter alia or because I got into HLS, I'll wish you best of luck with your law school applications.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

The only reason I would say it might be worth it is because I generally advocate taking off as much time as possible anyway. Honestly, the whole YLS admissions process is so random that it would ultimately just amount to another role of the dice. I can guarantee you that you're more worthy of admission than me, but I happened to get in last year. It's just a really, extremely unpredictable process that is very difficult to predict.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

It's not unreasonable, but it is a pretty poor bet.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Magic 8 ball says the OP sits out a year and then gets dinged again next year... not only by Yale, but also by Harvard this time.

The karmic smackdown is complete. :mrgreen:

Seriously... I can sympathize with being bummed out by getting dinged at your dream school. But you have to honestly evaluate your chances of improving your application enough while sitting out a year to make the risk worth it. You're not only risking a year - you're also risking a HLS acceptance.

As Harry Callahan once said, "You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”