Engineering LORs, more diversity needed?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silly101

Engineering LORs, more diversity needed?

Postby silly101 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I am currently involved in 2 research projects and could get 3 LORs. I am afraid that I will be lacking diversity, because it will be 3 chemical engineering professors. I am taking a poli sci next quarter and could try to get one out of her...

BioEBear2010

Re: Engineering LORs, more diversity needed?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

silly101 wrote:I am currently involved in 2 research projects and could get 3 LORs. I am afraid that I will be lacking diversity, because it will be 3 chemical engineering professors. I am taking a poli sci next quarter and could try to get one out of her...

I would recommend getting some variety. Have you had any internships? Any non-research based classes where you know the professor well? Humanities? Fwiw, I had 3 LORs -- one from my research prof (materials science), one from a BioE professor, and one from a visiting IEOR professor who taught a leadership class.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
silly101 wrote:I am currently involved in 2 research projects and could get 3 LORs. I am afraid that I will be lacking diversity, because it will be 3 chemical engineering professors. I am taking a poli sci next quarter and could try to get one out of her...

I would recommend getting some variety. Have you had any internships? Any non-research based classes where you know the professor well? Humanities? Fwiw, I had 3 LORs -- one from my research prof (materials science), one from a BioE professor, and one from a visiting IEOR professor who taught a leadership class.

+1 I went with my most trusted ME professor and a poli sci professor I took last semester. Don't be terribly concerned if you can't get the variety, though. Your numbers are almost certainly far more important than your supporting materials if you're not shooting primarily at YHS and B. The research projects will likely also look good, particularly for IP, so you might want to play them up on your resume. Study hard for the LSAT; a 170+ makes up for a lot of possible deficiencies in anyone's application.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

+1 I went with my most trusted ME professor and a poli sci professor I took last semester. Don't be terribly concerned if you can't get the variety, though. Your numbers are almost certainly far more important than your supporting materials if you're not shooting primarily at YHS and B. The research projects will likely also look good, particularly for IP, so you might want to play them up on your resume. Study hard for the LSAT; a 170+ makes up for a lot of possible deficiencies in anyone's application.

I would try to rock the PoliSci course and get a great recommendation from the professor. From what I've seen, most engineering professors write about the same key points of technical ability when writing LORs. At the same time, variety is nice but not a requirement. The LSAT and GPA will do a lot more good than the LORs. Strong, well-rounded recommendations won't hurt you though. FWIW, my 3 LORs were my ME senior design professor, business law professor, and work experience engineer.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 pm

If they are all saying the same things then you could do better

get someone to talk about your community involvement
get someone to talk about your work ethic
get another person to talk about your academic excellence

etc

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”