Busting through: 3.7 vs. 3.8

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LJackson

Busting through: 3.7 vs. 3.8

Postby LJackson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

So after consolidating all the classes I have taken from different schools and doing all the calculations, it looks like I am going to end up with something right around a 3.77 cumulative GPA at the conclusion of my junior year of undergrad. BUT...if I take 6 credits at CC this summer I can boost that up to just above a 3.8. Is it worth it so that when I apply next fall I am already at a 3.8?

Lupton Pittman

Re: Busting through: 3.7 vs. 3.8

Postby Lupton Pittman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm

What schools are you looking at applying to?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm

I'd do it for the psychological value online, but only if the classes were needed, or were at least interesting.

Also you might go from below a schools median to above it. Which could mean the difference between acceptance and rejection.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:27 pm

IMO, crossing a 3.x threshold provides a psychological boost that is larger than the actual change in your GPA.

If I am comparing two people's GPAs and they are 3.73 and 3.76 I'm going to consider them equal. Change it to 3.77 vs 3.80 and I now have a winner... the 3.8. Although I intellectually understand that it is the same difference in GPAs, the latter still "feels" more significant. Would an adcom fall prey to the same psychological feeling? I dunno - but I wouldn't bet against it.

It's the same reason that items are priced at $19.99. Everyone knows $19.99 is 20 bucks... but as a marketing technique, it works. It still "feels" cheaper.

LJackson

Postby LJackson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

I am looking to get into highest school possible or decent $. The classes aren't necessarily needed but other than bumping me to a 3.8, they would serve a few other purposes. I want to take a foreign language which I have interest in, which would possibly give me a "knowledge of _______language" soft because I am weak when it comes to softs. Also, I am interested in dual J.D programs in which this language would be needed (this is more of a pipe dream considering I have no knowledge of the language, but one can always fantasize). I just have the vision of admin. seeing a 3.7X and waitlisting me wanting to see first semester grades, where as a 3.8 looks solid.

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm

I would strongly consider the workload and effort required for a language course (especially over a shortened summer semester). You mention you have no previous experience with one. This may not be a cake walk as you may be anticipating.

For what its worth, I am bilingual and learned my second language mostly in my late teens and 20s.

Clever_User_Name

Postby Clever_User_Name » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm

BizOwner wrote:I would strongly consider the workload and effort required for a language course (especially over a shortened summer semester). You mention you have no previous experience with one. This may not be a cake walk as you may be anticipating.

For what its worth, I am bilingual and learned my second language mostly in my late teens and 20s.

This. Languages are hard no matter where you take them. You might feel pretty foolish if you take this at a cc and end up lowering your GPA (I have seen it happen a number of times). If you are going to do this you might as well take an easy class; not too easy, but easy.

LJackson

Postby LJackson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Those are the reasons I am hesitant. Plus the school does precise grading instead of rounded grading. Not to mention the fact that I am studying for the June LSAT so I don't know if its wise to be taking an accelarated summer class. But since I will not be working, have interest in the class and knowing I HAVE to get a 4.0, I will be okay. I don't know, worth the risk?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:36 pm

LJackson wrote:Those are the reasons I am hesitant. Plus the school does precise grading instead of rounded grading. Not to mention the fact that I am studying for the June LSAT so I don't know if its wise to be taking an accelarated summer class. But since I will not be working, have interest in the class and knowing I HAVE to get a 4.0, I will be okay. I don't know, worth the risk?

If there is a risk of betting an A-, then no its not worth the risk.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”