If deferred - school visit a faux pas? waste of time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NightHooded

If deferred - school visit a faux pas? waste of time?

Postby NightHooded » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm

I have been deferred... in case I'm admitted I would like to see the campus and get to check out the area - see if it's worth waiting for!

Is this a faux pas for me to contact admissions and request a tour? Is it a waste of time? I'm not sure about this. I'd think it's good to show interest, but could it backfire as being "too eager" or "why didn't you visit earlier"??? :roll:

Neelio

Re: If deferred - school visit a faux pas? waste of time?

Postby Neelio » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 pm

NightHooded wrote:I have been deferred... in case I'm admitted I would like to see the campus and get to check out the area - see if it's worth waiting for!

Is this a faux pas for me to contact admissions and request a tour? Is it a waste of time? I'm not sure about this. I'd think it's good to show interest, but could it backfire as being "too eager" or "why didn't you visit earlier"??? :roll:

Visiting a school does NOTHING... I'm a borderline "in" at USC. LSP gave me a 60% chance, so I bought a $400 plane ticket from NY to LA. They waitlisted me. Don't waste your time... you'd get the same results by emailing some choice questions or showing your interest in the school.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

visit after you get in. it's not worth the travel fare.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks...

My point is not that I mind travelling. Rather I want to see the place. I just don't want it to negatively affect my chances. If it's 0-sum or positive, I'm fine with that... I want to really feel like I know the place so I don't hold out for it if it doesn't suit my tastes once I visit there.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

So you want to know if it will hurt you? Probably not. You wouldn't ask the Adcomms to take you on a personal tour, would you?

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Z3RO wrote:So you want to know if it will hurt you? Probably not. You wouldn't ask the Adcomms to take you on a personal tour, would you?

Well that's part of my question. Would it be bad to request one? Or stop by the office?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Neelio wrote:
NightHooded wrote:I have been deferred... in case I'm admitted I would like to see the campus and get to check out the area - see if it's worth waiting for!

Visiting a school does NOTHING... I'm a borderline "in" at USC. LSP gave me a 60% chance, so I bought a $400 plane ticket from NY to LA. They waitlisted me. Don't waste your time... you'd get the same results by emailing some choice questions or showing your interest in the school.

just because this happened to you doesn't mean it does nothing in all cases.

but i agree, if it's gonna set you back alot of money i wouldn't do it.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Any other opinions on this? Is visiting the admissions office a bad thing? :?:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”