Negotiation after deposit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Negotiation after deposit

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 am

Is it a bad idea to try, after already depositing at a school, to leverage my planning to take the LSAT in June for more scholarship money? The reasoning would be if I get a much better score, I'd be waiting until next cycle to apply to higher ranked schools, or for more scholarship dollars anyhow. Am I better off just making a general plea for more money without mentioning the LSAT? Or is this just not done, ever?

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby starsong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:12 am

champ33 wrote:Is it a bad idea to try, after already depositing at a school, to leverage my planning to take the LSAT in June for more scholarship money? The reasoning would be if I get a much better score, I'd be waiting until next cycle to apply to higher ranked schools, or for more scholarship dollars anyhow. Am I better off just making a general plea for more money without mentioning the LSAT? Or is this just not done, ever?


No idea whether it's acceptable or not. But what's in it for the school?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 am

Just thinking out loud here... but the June LSAT will be after second deposits are due, and schools will be able to see if you have double deposited. They will know that your only options at that point are to take what they have given you, or for you to wait another year and reapply with your new score to other schools. They may not want to accept you next year if you try that.

It doesn't hurt to ask though.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 am

starsong wrote:
champ33 wrote:Is it a bad idea to try, after already depositing at a school, to leverage my planning to take the LSAT in June for more scholarship money? The reasoning would be if I get a much better score, I'd be waiting until next cycle to apply to higher ranked schools, or for more scholarship dollars anyhow. Am I better off just making a general plea for more money without mentioning the LSAT? Or is this just not done, ever?


No idea whether it's acceptable or not. But what's in it for the school?


I'm just thinking that most schools know that a deposit doesn't guarantee a student will attend. They've got to know that some people put down more than one deposit, or consider putting off school. A scholarship increase might be a way to convince deposited students to definitely attend. Again, I really don't know so would appreciate anybody who has first-hand experience with this.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby CG614 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:21 am

Dear School,
I am writing you to request more funds. If you do not give me more money, then I will take the June 2010 LSAT, score an 180, and go to a better school next year. I know you want me at your school, so just fork over the dough.

Regards,
The guy who will do better on his LSAT next time

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby booboo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am

CG614 wrote:Dear School,
I am writing you to request more funds. If you do not give me more money, then I will take the June 2010 LSAT, score an 180, and go to a better school next year. I know you want me at your school, so just fork over the dough.

Regards,
The guy who will do better on his LSAT next time


This is pretty much how it will be read.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Negotiation after deposit

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 am

booboo wrote:
CG614 wrote:Dear School,
I am writing you to request more funds. If you do not give me more money, then I will take the June 2010 LSAT, score an 180, and go to a better school next year. I know you want me at your school, so just fork over the dough.

Regards,
The guy who will do better on his LSAT next time


This is pretty much how it will be read.


I believe this is correct, and so I'll probably leave off mentioning the LSAT. It will be more like...

Dear School,

I know people are selecting other schools and declining scholarship money right now. When you re-read my file you will realize that I am a totally awesome guy and deserve more free money. If you don't give me more money, I will feel kind of awkward about this. Thanks for reading.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blueapron115, carlos_danger and 9 guests