Just found out my LSAC GPA - DEPRESSED and a question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sangiovese

Re: Just found out my LSAC GPA - DEPRESSED and a question

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Does this include college or university classes taken while still a student in high school? This is quite common for advanced high school students & for high school students taking summer session courses at universities such as Penn, Brown, Harvard, Cornell & local community colleges.

Yes, it specifically states that you need to include classes taken in high school. The following is from the LSAC website:

Request transcripts to be sent to LSAC from your:
    bachelor’s degree-granting institution
    graduate degree-granting institution(s)
    law/medical/professional institutions
    institutions where college-level courses were taken while in high school
    institutions where summer or evening courses did not count toward a degree
    institutions that have closed
    institutions from which you have only withdrawn or incomplete grades
    institutions where you have recently enrolled
    overseas study.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Sangiovese wrote:There are education record clearinghouses that will have records of every place you ever attended, even if all you did was withdraw. LSAC might not check the clearinghouses... but I am willing to bet the Bar does. (Actually, I am NOT willing to bet that they don't!) If an institution shows up on the list from the clearinghouse and there is no associated transcript in your LSAC files... you'll be hearing that great line from I Love Lucy. LUUUUUUUCY.... you got some 'splaining to do!

Seriously? I'm skeptical of the record unification. Leaving the Bar out of it, I propose a different bet: There is no such thing as an "education record clearinghouse" (distinguished from a school, testing organization like LSAC or the College Board, or government department of education) that has an accurate list of the name and dates of attendance for every degree-granting educational institution I ever attended in the USA beyond the high school level. If there is, what is it?

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It doesn't matter if it counts towards your degree or not. ANY college classes taken before you receive your first Bachelors degree counts towards your LSAC GPA.

Does this include college or university classes taken while still a student in high school? This is quite common for advanced high school students & for high school students taking summer session courses at universities such as Penn, Brown, Harvard, Cornell & local community colleges.[/quote]

Yeah, they keep paying dividends, too. I took a few classes at community college during high school. I got high school credit for them, and the As raised my GPA for college apps. Then I got college credit for the same classes. Then I got to use the same As again to raise my LSAC GPA. Thank you, community college.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:There are education record clearinghouses that will have records of every place you ever attended, even if all you did was withdraw. LSAC might not check the clearinghouses... but I am willing to bet the Bar does. (Actually, I am NOT willing to bet that they don't!) If an institution shows up on the list from the clearinghouse and there is no associated transcript in your LSAC files... you'll be hearing that great line from I Love Lucy. LUUUUUUUCY.... you got some 'splaining to do!

Seriously? I'm skeptical of the record unification. Leaving the Bar out of it, I propose a different bet: There is no such thing as an "education record clearinghouse" (distinguished from a school, testing organization like LSAC or the College Board, or government department of education) that has an accurate list of the name and dates of attendance for every degree-granting educational institution I ever attended in the USA beyond the high school level. If there is, what is it?

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm

My degree granting institution is not on their list of participating schools.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:59 pm

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

Very interesting. Thank you.

Based on their list of participating institutions and dates, it looks like someone searching for my records could find only very spotty information. I've asked the org for details.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

blurbz wrote:My degree granting institution is not on their list of participating schools.

Maybe not, but almost 3500 are. And it is likely that there is more than one clearinghouse. I'm familiar with this one because it is the one that I have used in the past to verify job applicants' credentials.

I'm not saying that you can't get away with leaving a transcript off your record. I'm just trying to show that it is easier to find than a lot of people think, and I can't imagine a circumstance where leaving a transcript off your application package would be worth the risk of failing C&F.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”