UF Network in Florida

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rmend

UF Network in Florida

Postby rmend » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Although UF is ranked 51st, would most people agree that because of the massive alumni network within Florida that the degree is much more prestigious than that ranking within Florida? I have spoken with a few lawyers at the big firms in Florida and they say that their first choice for new hires is UF, always. Is there any disadvantage to choosing UF over a school in the top 20 if you want to work in Florida at a big firm? Especially considering the alumni network within Florida and a little bit in Atlanta.

Kchuck

Re: UF Network in Florida

Postby Kchuck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

At the UF ASD this past Friday the UF law administrators talked about this extensively. The 'Gator Nation', they claim, is incredibly strong within the state and is second only to the most elite of law schools. Though I recognize their obvious bias, I feel that a UF law degree is going to be one of the most preferred in the state. I cannot imagine that a degree from higher esteemed schools not in the region, say Michigan, WUSTL, Iowa, BC, will compete better than a degree from UF would, in state. As a state resident for my entire life, I can assure you that a UF degree is certainly regarded very highly in nearly all sectors and parts of the state. With that said, I have absolutely no clue how portable a degree from UF is if you leave the state.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:48 pm

rmend wrote:Although UF is ranked 51st, would most people agree that because of the massive alumni network within Florida that the degree is much more prestigious than that ranking within Florida? I have spoken with a few lawyers at the big firms in Florida and they say that their first choice for new hires is UF, always. Is there any disadvantage to choosing UF over a school in the top 20 if you want to work in Florida at a big firm? Especially considering the alumni network within Florida and a little bit in Atlanta.

Yes (if you are from Florida).

Let's use an example.

Let's say a student from FL decides he wants to attend GW and return to FL after.

While many of the regional firms with FL offices do not OCI at GW, many national firms with FL offices do so (your "big firm[s]").

The student at GW, with FL connections, would be about 2x-3x more likely to achieve a position in a big firm in FL than a UF student (ditto with Fordham and many other non-t14s).

Kchuck wrote:At the UF ASD this past Friday the UF law administrators talked about this extensively. The 'Gator Nation', they claim, is incredibly strong within the state and is second only to the most elite of law schools. Though I recognize their obvious bias, I feel that a UF law degree is going to be one of the most preferred in the state. I cannot imagine that a degree from higher esteemed schools not in the region, say Michigan, WUSTL, Iowa, BC, will compete better than a degree from UF would, in state. As a state resident for my entire life, I can assure you that a UF degree is certainly regarded very highly in nearly all sectors and parts of the state. With that said, I have absolutely no clue how portable a degree from UF is if you leave the state.

With Iowa, I agree completely. But not so much with MI, WUSTL, or BC.

Of course FL is the (or tied) for the strongest school in state, but someone with FL connections that attends a "stronger" school would be in a better position for big firm jobs.

rmend

Postby rmend » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm

I am in a very similar, almost identical situation to the one you described with GW. I am from Florida and have pretty good connections to lawyers in big firms in Florida through parents and family friends. I have two questions for you: 1) Why do you say a GW grad would be more likely to get a big law job in Florida over a UF grad 2) Would you take a school like GW, BU, Emory, etc. with good connections to FL over UF with those same connections and in state tuition?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Totally anecdotal, but contrary to Aberzombie's assertion above I have a friend currently at Duke looking for a 1L summer position who has great connections to FL (lived here all his life, etc) who cannot land a position in the state.

He's having great luck nearly everywhere else but for personal reasons would prefer to be in FL this summer. I think his exact words the other day after another frustrating series of attempts with FL firms were "if you think you ever want to work in FL, go to UF!" Hth.

trkmantis2

Postby trkmantis2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:20 pm

I just wanted to add that more than likely you could place higher in your class at UF then say a much higher ranked more competitive program, statistically speaking, which would obviously help you land a better job quicker in FL.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”