What to write about in 2nd or third LOCI?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Xiaolong

What to write about in 2nd or third LOCI?

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 am

I am in the process of getting off a couple of waitlists and would like to send more than one loci. The question is: what do I write about. My first loci bascially told them why I like school X academically and which curricular offerings I like in particular. There have also been no major events or developments in my life that are worth writing about.

So, in a second or third loci, is it ok to write a few lines and basically just reiterate one's interest in school X?

Unitas

Re: What to write about in 2nd or third LOCI?

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 am

Xiaolong wrote:I am in the process of getting off a couple of waitlists and would like to send more than one loci. The question is: what do I write about. My first loci bascially told them why I like school X academically and which curricular offerings I like in particular. There have also been no major events or developments in my life that are worth writing about.

So, in a second or third loci, is it ok to write a few lines and basically just reiterate one's interest in school X?

Why would you write a 2nd or 3rd loci?
Schools seem to appreciate the first one and any more are just wastes of paper unless updates of awards and so forth- confirmed by several admissions deans.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

Unitas wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:I am in the process of getting off a couple of waitlists and would like to send more than one loci. The question is: what do I write about. My first loci bascially told them why I like school X academically and which curricular offerings I like in particular. There have also been no major events or developments in my life that are worth writing about.

Schools seem to appreciate the first one and any more are just wastes of paper unless updates of awards and so forth- confirmed by several admissions deans.

Hmm, I tend to disagree with this. I have been reading of people who have been in constant contact with the admissions people who eventually were admitted. True, it doesn't mean that they were admitted off the WL BECAUSE they were close to obnoxious.

Nevertheless, I remember reading admissions deans who stated they appreciate frequent contact (i.e. once a month or so).

nascent

Postby nascent » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:56 am

I say if there's nothing that's interesting enough for them to read on your 2nd or 3rd LOCI, then don't bother writing it just for the sake of "keeping in touch."

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:03 am

The two posters above are incorrect as far as certain schools are concerned. I spoke today to an admissions officer at a T14 school, and she told me that they want to hear OFTEN from people on the waitlist, as in every two weeks, even if you're just updating them on how interested you are. This surprised me, as it seems to go against TLS common wisdom.

savetheturtles

Postby savetheturtles » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 am

Xiaolong wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Hmm, I tend to disagree with this. I have been reading of people who have been in constant contact with the admissions people who eventually were admitted. True, it doesn't mean that they were admitted off the WL BECAUSE they were close to obnoxious.

Nevertheless, I remember reading admissions deans who stated they appreciate frequent contact (i.e. once a month or so).

Yeah the above advice is definitely not true, as far as some schools are concerned. While it is definitely true with a school like Yale, where they know that everyone would attend, other schools really care about "fit" or extending offers to people who will absolutely attend.

When did you send in your first LOCI? When did they say they would start looking at the waitlist? When is the first deposit deadline? You want to strategically send in your LOCI when they are looking at the waitlist, so that your name comes up in their minds. Have you visited? If you havent yet and can (preferably while school is still in session), that would be a great topic for a followup LOCI, because it shows that you are really interested. At this point, a LOCI every 4-6 weeks might be appropriate. They still might be going through regular admissions, so it would be more annoying for them to have to deal with waitlisters. However, as late May/June approaches, you might want to keep in contact with the admissions office every 2-3 weeks or so (assuming it is the kind of office that appreciates contact). At that point, most people have plans set up, so you want them to know that you are a sure thing (assuming this is your first choice). This was my approach last year and it worked for me (although it was a long and anxious wait).

Of course, to some extent, the waitlist is all about "filling in holes" in the class. Thus, if you are a splitter (either way), YP, or have numbers in range, then your chances of success will probably be better than a person who was waitlisted as a "soft reject."

nascent

Postby nascent » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 am

savetheturtles wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Yeah the above advice is definitely not true, as far as some schools are concerned. While it is definitely true with a school like Yale, where they know that everyone would attend, other schools really care about "fit" or extending offers to people who will absolutely attend.

When did you send in your first LOCI? When did they say they would start looking at the waitlist? When is the first deposit deadline? You want to strategically send in your LOCI when they are looking at the waitlist, so that your name comes up in their minds. Have you visited? If you havent yet and can (preferably while school is still in session), that would be a great topic for a followup LOCI, because it shows that you are really interested. At this point, a LOCI every 4-6 weeks might be appropriate. They still might be going through regular admissions, so it would be more annoying for them to have to deal with waitlisters. However, as late May/June approaches, you might want to keep in contact with the admissions office every 2-3 weeks or so (assuming it is the kind of office that appreciates contact). At that point, most people have plans set up, so you want them to know that you are a sure thing (assuming this is your first choice). This was my approach last year and it worked for me (although it was a long and anxious wait).

Of course, to some extent, the waitlist is all about "filling in holes" in the class. Thus, if you are a splitter (either way), YP, or have numbers in range, then your chances of success will probably be better than a person who was waitlisted as a "soft reject."

I agree on visiting the campus. I just don't recommend OP to rephrase the same information and send multiple letters just for the sake of keeping in touch with the admissions. Think hard about any value that you may add to your other LOCI's and tell them something new, like how you felt after a campus visit.

savetheturtles

Postby savetheturtles » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 pm

I agree on visiting the campus. I just don't recommend OP to rephrase the same information and send multiple letters just for the sake of keeping in touch with the admissions. Think hard about any value that you may add to your other LOCI's and tell them something new, like how you felt after a campus visit.

Yeah, there definitely needs to be something new to add to the file by the time you get to the 3rd LOCI. Hopefully by the time May/June comes around, the OP will at least have done something. It doesn't even need to be an award or important recognition, as long as it adds to the adcomm's perception of you as an individual (e.g., job promotion, community service, etc).

I was also a bit vague in my post about "contact." This doesn't always mean sending in letters. For SOME schools, calling in might be noted or might help you build a rapport with the office. This doesn't always work because adcomms are busy, but for the person with the right skills and dealing with the right school, it can pay off. Basically, my point is that you have to do something that keeps you on the adcomms desk, but doesn't annoy them.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm

SilverE2 wrote:The two posters above are incorrect as far as certain schools are concerned. I spoke today to an admissions officer at a T14 school, and she told me that they want to hear OFTEN from people on the waitlist, as in every two weeks, even if you're just updating them on how interested you are. This surprised me, as it seems to go against TLS common wisdom.

which one? PM if you want

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”