Hastings vs. Cardozo with $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tommytahoe

Hastings vs. Cardozo with $$

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Let's suppose that you wanted to study, practice, and live in either the Bay Area or NYC, neither more than the other. Let us also suppose that Cardozo accepts you, and offers $54,000 over 3 years, or alternatively, $75,000 for 3 years (with class rank cutoff requirement). And, UC Hastings accepts you without money, but presuming some modest amount of need-based grants.

Which do you choose? Your answer can speak to the $54,000 amount, or to the $75,000 amount. I want to live in either the Bay Area or Manhattan/Brooklyn, and this is probably going to be a dilemma of mine. Clearly, Hastings is higher-ranked, and additionally has been around for much longer and so has more history prestige.
Still, if one is happy to stay in NYC, and doesn't need to take his Cardozo JD elsewhere, does the Cardozo option with money stand up in your eyes?

thanks

quickquestionthanks

Re: Hastings vs. Cardozo with $$

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 am

You have pretty similar chances at landing a biglaw job from Cardozo as Hastings actually. And considering the Hastings class will be much more competitive, it might make sense to go to Cardozo. Also, as someone who has lived in SF and spent a fair amount of time in NYC, I would suggest rethinking considering those two places to be of equal draw. NY is way cooler IMO and much easier to move around in with both a subway and far fewer hills.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:23 am

Cardozo is a notoriously underrated school.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:You have pretty similar chances at landing a biglaw job from Cardozo as Hastings actually. And considering the Hastings class will be much more competitive, it might make sense to go to Cardozo. Also, as someone who has lived in SF and spent a fair amount of time in NYC, I would suggest rethinking considering those two places to be of equal draw. NY is way cooler IMO and much easier to move around in with both a subway and far fewer hills.

Well, I'm leaning 60-40 NYC, all other things equal. But I need to keep the cities equally balanced in the equation so I can get a sense of how JDs from each one balance out (with the $$ consideration, of course).

I have been in the Bay Area for several years, and love it in many ways, including the hills actually (I'm into cycling). But the un-amazingness of my LSAT, and the sudden skyrocket in previously attractive in-state UC tuitions, drew me to consider making my JD a movable feast, to chase down cheaper deals elsewhere (I'm 37 y.o.).
I've always been crazy about NYC when I visited my siblings there, so when the Cardozo with money option popped up, I started looking hard at that school to see where it fits. I am impressed with its upward trajectory the past 5 + years or so.
Now, I'm prepared to go to NYC, SF, or DC depending on what happens with the cycle. I have created a mindset where I can adapt on the spot, and go there, study there, with the intention of most likely staying to practice there.
Outside chance of being accepted at Fordham full-sticker price, which is a whole different dilemma of its own...

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 am

MJMD wrote:Cardozo is a notoriously underrated school.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this correct. But its beside the point. Consider total placement reports are similar, I'd do a total cost of attendance analysis and go with what ever school was cheaper. Which, given the ludicrous UC out of state tuition is going to be Cardozo by a long shot. Though personally I would have applied to Brooklyn and maybe St. John's to see the scholarship money these schools would throw at me (and get leverage over Cardozo).

Of course I'm of the camp that believes the rankings mean diddly squat compared to cost in rankings 31-100 (and including some TTT schools which have legitimate scholarships).

School prestige starts to mean less and less the lower in the rankings you go and from the lawyers I've talked to, means little compared to career accomplishments after only a few years of practice/work.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:02 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:You have pretty similar chances at landing a biglaw job from Cardozo as Hastings actually. And considering the Hastings class will be much more competitive, it might make sense to go to Cardozo. Also, as someone who has lived in SF and spent a fair amount of time in NYC, I would suggest rethinking considering those two places to be of equal draw. NY is way cooler IMO and much easier to move around in with both a subway and far fewer hills.

I noticed a pretty competitive vibe at Cardozo. I haven't visited Hastings so I can't compare, but I imagine that both schools have many very ambitious students--the types that didn't quite make into the local T14s and have something to prove.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 am

JOThompson wrote:

I noticed a pretty competitive vibe at Cardozo. I haven't visited Hastings so I can't compare, but I imagine that both schools have many very ambitious students--the types that didn't quite make into the local T14s and have something to prove.

I don't doubt it's just as competitive in terms of ambition, but in terms of median LSAT score and undergrad institution, Hastings will be much tougher. NYU/Columbia rejects (as opposed to Stanford/Boalt) go to Fordham next, and then Cardozo, where Hastings is the next down the list for students shooting for SF Big law.

Congrats on Minnesota, btw. I doubt I'll get in, but I'm interested in the retail industry (and its future), so it would be an awesome place to do corporate law.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 am

Good point about the LSAT/UG differences between the two schools.

Thanks. The school's proven to be very holistic in its application review this year (only reason I'm in), so don't lose hope yet. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”