GPA question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonlawchick

GPA question

Postby bostonlawchick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Looking for a little bit of advice on this... right now I have around a 3.2 LSAC gpa (I think, I don't have access to all my transcripts). I could take three summer classes and bump this up to a 3.3. The thing is, I would have to pay out of pocket for the classes, about $2500. I'm concerned about paying down my CC debt/car loan before I start law school. Should I bite the bullet for the extra .1 or would it be better to pay down my debt? For what it's worth I'll probably be a high LSAT splitter and get no scholarship money :o(

Kohinoor

Re: GPA question

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Looking for a little bit of advice on this... right now I have around a 3.2 LSAC gpa (I think, I don't have access to all my transcripts). I could take three summer classes and bump this up to a 3.3. The thing is, I would have to pay out of pocket for the classes, about $2500. I'm concerned about paying down my CC debt/car loan before I start law school. Should I bite the bullet for the extra .1 or would it be better to pay down my debt? For what it's worth I'll probably be a high LSAT splitter and get no scholarship money :o(
Either way you're bottom quartile at most schools.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:58 pm

don't listed to the poster above. a 3.3 is not terrible, and bottom quarter at most schools is ambiguous and presupposing that you only care about schools in the top 20. either way, a 3.3 would at least give you a puncher's chance at those and get you into better schools than a 3.2 would.

whatever you can do is going to help. is it the diff b/w summer and fall or just extra classes for the sake of raising your gpa? if it's the latter i'd recommend spending all that time studying for the LSAT. a five point increase on the LSAT will help more than a one point increase in your GPA, and only costs $150 for registration. If you put in the 20 hours of week studying you'd spend commuting or being in school, you could easily make this a possibility.

btw, i had a fulllll scholarship to college but still piled 15 in credit cards over 4 years (i came from a family with noooo money... have always had to use school to make my opportunities)... i've been able to cut it to 5 since jan. while keeping my living expenses as low as possible. i would absolutely never under any condition start law school with c card debt... in fact, i want a little money put away. i'd recommend student loans. i know from friends of mine that they are really good with working with you if you have trouble paying them back on time, offer low interest rates and if you cannot pay them back before law school, if you forebear you'll only have a minimal credit score impact.

i cannot stress how important having a good credit score will be to your future if your parents and/or you are not rich. no credit = no graduate education = can i take your order into your 50s.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:25 pm

logicman86 wrote:don't listed to the poster above. a 3.3 is not terrible, and bottom quarter at most schools is ambiguous and presupposing that you only care about schools in the top 20. either way, a 3.3 would at least give you a puncher's chance at those and get you into better schools than a 3.2 would.

whatever you can do is going to help. is it the diff b/w summer and fall or just extra classes for the sake of raising your gpa? if it's the latter i'd recommend spending all that time studying for the LSAT. a five point increase on the LSAT will help more than a one point increase in your GPA, and only costs $150 for registration. If you put in the 20 hours of week studying you'd spend commuting or being in school, you could easily make this a possibility.

btw, i had a fulllll scholarship to college but still piled 15 in credit cards over 4 years (i came from a family with noooo money... have always had to use school to make my opportunities)... i've been able to cut it to 5 since jan. while keeping my living expenses as low as possible. i would absolutely never under any condition start law school with c card debt... in fact, i want a little money put away. i'd recommend student loans. i know from friends of mine that they are really good with working with you if you have trouble paying them back on time, offer low interest rates and if you cannot pay them back before law school, if you forebear you'll only have a minimal credit score impact.

i cannot stress how important having a good credit score will be to your future if your parents and/or you are not rich. no credit = no graduate education = can i take your order into your 50s.

The LSAT advice is correct, but as for the rest...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm

stratocophic wrote:
logicman86 wrote:don't listed to the poster above. a 3.3 is not terrible, and bottom quarter at most schools is ambiguous and presupposing that you only care about schools in the top 20. either way, a 3.3 would at least give you a puncher's chance at those and get you into better schools than a 3.2 would.

logicman86 is known for his entertainingly illogical posts.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

logicman86 is known for his entertainingly illogical posts.
He's somehow slipped under my radar until now, unless I'm just forgetting a previous facepalm. I'll have to take a look through his past nonsense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”