NYLS, Hofstra, Loyola - LA, St. John's, Iowa, UW

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legalornot

NYLS, Hofstra, Loyola - LA, St. John's, Iowa, UW

Postby legalornot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 am

I've been accepted to the following schools: NYLS ($$$), Hofstra ($$$), Loyola - LA, St. John's, Iowa, UW (wow, can't believe it myself) and WL at Cardozo.

What do you guys think I should do? I want to practice in NYC eventually as a solo or at a small shop. But right after law school, I'd like to work 2-3 years at the DA's office or a top litigation firm. Hence, school ranking does matter to me.

Thanks.

Blindmelon

Re: NYLS, Hofstra, Loyola - LA, St. John's, Iowa, UW

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am

legalornot wrote:I've been accepted to the following schools: NYLS ($$$), Hofstra ($$$), Loyola - LA, St. John's, Iowa, UW (wow, can't believe it myself) and WL at Cardozo.

What do you guys think I should do? I want to practice in NYC eventually as a solo or at a small shop. But right after law school, I'd like to work 2-3 years at the DA's office or a top litigation firm. Hence, school ranking does matter to me.

Thanks.

Thats going to be really tough from any of the schools you listed. Is St. Johns at sticker? Are there scholarship stipulations on NYLS/Hofsta? Did you not apply to RU?

Your safest bets for employment at all are probably Iowa/UW, but neither will place in NYC.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:45 am

yea besides NYLS and HOf, everywhere else is sticker..I didn't do so hot on the LSAT.

I might consider transferring after 1L, depends on my GPA and rank. Perhaps UW or UI would be the best options to do that. Anyone disagree?

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Whatever is cheapest over 3 years and has some reasonable scholarship for you. Something tells me this is Univ. of Washington, which is by far the cheapest and best school in the region. You might have to settle (HAHA) for a clerkship or firm in the NW for a few years then lateral over to the east coast.

NYLS's scholarship is bullshit, don't fall for it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

None of these schools are gonna do any great things for you given your career goals. Also, don't count on transferring, because you probably won't, because it's pretty difficult. Go somewhere you won't be in too much debt just in case you don't get a job that pays well after graduation.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:51 pm

You're interest in the New York DA's office suggests to me that Hofstra may be your best course of action. I was reading how they have ample internships With a scholarship it should be fairly affordable and has really good job prospects especially with the courts in NY. (95% employed 6 months out with 70% in Manhattan).

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:53 pm

NYLS's scholarship is bullshit, don't fall for it.

I know it's not the greatest school, but why else? I was offered 15K a year.

roadkilllaw

Postby roadkilllaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm

how did you manage UW??

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

CSKNJ wrote:95% employed 6 months out

Unfortunately, this statistic is inflated, because "employed" can mean both biglaw and Chili's equally. Also, there is probably a response bias in favor of those who have jobs as opposed to those who are unemployed.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am

Iowa or UW is by far the best option if it wouldn't kill you to leave NYC.

St. Johns, Hofstra, NYLS, are all terrible, terrible deals in education.

iiifly

Postby iiifly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 am

I received an e-mail notification that I was accepted to Hofstra. They indicate that an acceptance package is in the mail. You indicated that you got $$$ from hofstra - how were you notified of this?

Thanks.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 pm

yah..They gave me $30k per year, renewable, top 40%.

Scholly letter arrived separately from the admission package.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Look guys..I know TLS is all about the Yales, the Harvards...and BIG LAW.

Unfortunately, LSAT wasn't so kind to me. And frankly I have no intent to work at a white shoe law firm even if I had the option to do so. So given the admissions that I have available and my strong preference to practice SOLO in NYC after passing the bar, do you all still think attending either University of Washington and University of Iowa would be a relatively wiser choice? Once again, I am planning on being self-employed as an attorney working on everyday law or shitlaw, if that's what you want to call it. Let me lay it out..immigration, real estate transactions, divorce, slip and fall, small business transactions, leases and contracts, llc formation, etc. Nothing glorious and I am aware of that matter.

Thanks advance for any kind and constructive advice!

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

The Hiring director for the Manhattan DA is a Hofstra grad..... nice connection to have.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I have no issues living in Seattle for three years. The quality of life is amazing! (having been there numerous times). Probably will die in Iowa.

But my primary concern with attending schools outside of New York is really the connections. Although UW and UI are both ranked much higher and tier 1 for that matter, it will not help me forge relationships in the East Coast. Additionally, why would I give up a large chunk of $$$ from Hofstra to go across the nation to attend a mere top 30 school just to come back to practice street law.

Again, I welcome any constructive comments. I could be wrong as I have very little insight with regard to law admission and legal career prospects.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Graduating from UW or UI you will not be able to find a job in NYC. Point blank. I'm in a similar position - I've been admitted to a T20 in the midwest, but I'm going to attend a lower ranked school because I want to practice in NYC when I finish.

While I truly believe that NYLS is underrated, i think it's on the same level as Hofstra and St. John's. If I were in your position I'd go for Hofstra. They offered you the most $ and they have a large alumni base in the NYC region. Also, you will have almost exclusive access to legal internships, networking opportunities, etc. on Long Island (DA's office, small-mid sized firms, courts, etc.) Most law students in NYC don't take advantage of employment opportunities on LI - your sole competition will be Touro students.

My other advice would be to stay on the WL at Cardozo. This will offer you the best career opportunities in the end.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks evilgenius! very helpful advice.

I hear some people in the legal industry frequently consider SJU better than Hof. Perhaps it's because SJU has a higher bar passing rate. But is it a $30k difference? What about Cardozo? $30K > Hofstra?

Also, no one has commented on Loyola. Isn't it a good school for trial advocacy, tax, and classroom experience? Would it be possible to go to a Socal school and come back to NYC for work?

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

legalornot wrote:Thanks evilgenius! very helpful advice.

I hear some people in the legal industry frequently consider SJU better than Hof. Perhaps it's because SJU has a higher bar passing rate. But is it a $30k difference? What about Cardozo? $30K > Hofstra?

Also, no one has commented on Loyola. Isn't it a good school for trial advocacy, tax, and classroom experience? Would it be possible to go to a Socal school and come back to NYC for work?

I've heard mixed opinions on SJU vs. Hofstra, so I concluded that they were the same. It's definitely not a $30K difference. SJU is probably better for corporate/business opportunities in NYC, but the academic quality seems about the same.

Unless a miracle happens and I get into Fordham, I'm 99% certain that I'm going to Cardozo this fall. I've concluded that Cardozo is definitely better than Hofstra and will result in more opportunities. But if you're worried about debt, thats a different story..it may not be worth the $ over Hofstra. I had to make a similar decision ('dozo vs. Hofstra) and I went with Cardozo because they (surprisingly) offered me more $ with no strings.

Edit: also I think its definitely possible to transition from a SoCal school to NYC for work - but it depends on the school. Definitely yes with UCLA and USC (though it might be a little harder for the latter). Not possible with any other SoCal school. If it was between UW and Loyola, UW would probably fare better for NYC.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Congrats on Cardozo. You know..if I get off WL, I think I'd go to Cardozo as well w/ full price. But doesn't look good at this point. Seems like everyone is applying to LS..

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Since NYLS and Hofstra are both regional schools, which one is more focused on teaching New York City law?

And also, do you if they have a law firm management class? Thanks

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm

legalornot wrote:You know..if I get off WL, I think I'd go to Cardozo as well w/ full price.

I would also recommend not going to Dozo at full price for the same reason not to go to Brooklyn at full price.

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Rad law, what's your reason?

legalornot

Postby legalornot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Can you negotiate with a school to raise scholly money base on poor financial situation and lack of parental support?

Only NYLS and Hofstra gave me money. I'd like to get a few thousand more from either if possible. But I'm not sure if there is a working strategy to get them to throw more money since I don't have a higher ranking school that is willing to give a scholarship.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Some of this thread's advice is boneheaded. I think you need to come to terms that you don't HAVE to be in NYC for law school or the immediate aftermath.

NYLS with only 15k is still going to run you $52,615 per year. Cardozo will be even more, since you have no money there. Welcome to Law School debt city, where doubling down on debt for TTT or even a lower Tier 1 will not double your career opportunities.

If you haven't already checked out UW's cost: NR (1L) 50,648, NR plus tuition waiver (2L, 3L) 40,138. Cheapest option for you (though the much more unattractive Hofstra has offered you significantly more money). This school is your highest ranked acceptance too. I don't know how you did it, I received double your scholarship at NYLS and St. John's but can only hope for UW. I wouldn't blow that offer for a NYC pipe dream.

Actually, never mind, please do not put down a deposit, as I'm hoping (naively) to get the opportunity to get waitlisted and then eventually into UW. :P

Edit: I missed your 30k from Hofstra.
I'd eliminate everything from your list (forgoing scholarship negotiation) but Hofstra and UW
Last edited by erniesto on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

legalornot wrote:Rad law, what's your reason?

Lower-ranked school in a market saturated with lawyers in a terrible economy. If you don't do exceeding well, you have a pretty good shot of working in a 38k document review hell hole with no benefits and free pizza on Fridays. Don't believe the stats; they are inflated (just like every other school's really). Combine with high COL and high tuition, you have the recipe for soul-crushing debt. At least if you went on scholarship, if you didn't get a good legal job, or even a legal job at all (distinct possibility), you wouldn't have as much debt to worry about.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”