LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:35 am

I'm on the borderline of LSAT/GPA for a school i'm applying to.

I really want to write them a letter or SOMETHING expressing that they are my absolute number one choice and i will 100% attend if i'm accepted.

Anything I can do without being annoying?

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:37 am

Send a LOCI -- tell the school exactly that, and also update them with anything you've done since applying (i.e. new grades, projects, jobs, etc.). It works.

lawman2010
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby lawman2010 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 am

Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.

User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:48 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Send a LOCI -- tell the school exactly that, and also update them with anything you've done since applying (i.e. new grades, projects, jobs, etc.). It works.


Well if it's not uncommon and it won't piss them off, then i certainly will; however I have nothing new to report.

What angle should I take?

User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:56 pm

lawman2010 wrote:Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.


I have a strong suspicion that I will just be annoying them, But if you think so...

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby hannah87 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 pm

lawman2010 wrote:Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.


same here. to NYU.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby superserial » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 pm

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.


I have a strong suspicion that I will just be annoying them, But if you think so...


promising a school that you'll attend if accepted is not annoying.

User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 am

superserial wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.


I have a strong suspicion that I will just be annoying them, But if you think so...


promising a school that you'll attend if accepted is not annoying.


First of all, that's the greatest profile pic of all time.

Second of all, i guess i'm just conflicted because I have little or nothing to report, other than the fact that I'm promising to attend if accepted.

Which SOUNDS like enough of a reason to write a letter, BUT...

What if, even after the letter, the decision is rendered and i'm waitlisted? I'll still have nothing to report and my second letter will be exactly the same as the first.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby superserial » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 am

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:First of all, that's the greatest profile pic of all time.

Second of all, i guess i'm just conflicted because I have little or nothing to report, other than the fact that I'm promising to attend if accepted.

Which SOUNDS like enough of a reason to write a letter, BUT...

What if, even after the letter, the decision is rendered and i'm waitlisted? I'll still have nothing to report and my second letter will be exactly the same as the first.


:D

I think a promise to attend if accepted and a reaffirmation of your interest in the school warrant writing a letter. If you wait until you get waitlisted, your acceptance becomes dependent on whether other students decide to attend. You're essentially telling them that you don't need money and that you're going to help their yield rate, which could push you over the edge as a borderline candidate, IMO.

Are you still in school? If so, you'll have a GPA update by May. Also, you have time to get another recommendation between now and a waitlist decision.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 am

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
superserial wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
lawman2010 wrote:Yes, send it. I've updated schools with new info and have sent LOCI. Each time they've told me they'd add it to my file.


I have a strong suspicion that I will just be annoying them, But if you think so...


promising a school that you'll attend if accepted is not annoying.


First of all, that's the greatest profile pic of all time.

Second of all, i guess i'm just conflicted because I have little or nothing to report, other than the fact that I'm promising to attend if accepted.

Which SOUNDS like enough of a reason to write a letter, BUT...

What if, even after the letter, the decision is rendered and i'm waitlisted? I'll still have nothing to report and my second letter will be exactly the same as the first.


I have wondered about this for a while, if you say if accepted you will attend does that constitute an agreement to attend off of the waitlist even if they offer a seat the day before classes start or a similar situation, such as when you withdraw from the waitlist they offer you a spot? Or is it just an agreement to attend if accepted outright?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 am

I did exactly that to vanderbilt, sent them a LOCI before my decision with numbers right on the border, told them they were my number 1 school and that I would withdraw all my applications immediately, they told me they would add it my file . . . waitlisted. It makes me doubt it really did anything at all.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 am

I think this is risky. I've been thinking about doing this same thing to a school I've applied to, but am terrified that they'll look at my letter, see that I'm a guarantee to attend, accept me without any merit aid, and then I'll get money from a peer school and have to pay sticker at the first.

I guess the point is, you have to be 100% sure you want this school at sticker over any of its peers with $.

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby acdisagod » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 am

I only got into schools I sent LOCIs to. Take that for what it's worth. Correlation doesnt necessarily equal causation but who knows.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby superserial » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Unitas wrote:
I have wondered about this for a while, if you say if accepted you will attend does that constitute an agreement to attend off of the waitlist even if they offer a seat the day before classes start or a similar situation, such as when you withdraw from the waitlist they offer you a spot? Or is it just an agreement to attend if accepted outright?


it's just an agreement to attend if accepted outright.

User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 pm

superserial wrote:
Unitas wrote:
I have wondered about this for a while, if you say if accepted you will attend does that constitute an agreement to attend off of the waitlist even if they offer a seat the day before classes start or a similar situation, such as when you withdraw from the waitlist they offer you a spot? Or is it just an agreement to attend if accepted outright?


it's just an agreement to attend if accepted outright.


Will a school take it personally if i send them my LOCI, they accept me, but I end up not going?

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby superserial » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:40 pm

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
superserial wrote:
Unitas wrote:
I have wondered about this for a while, if you say if accepted you will attend does that constitute an agreement to attend off of the waitlist even if they offer a seat the day before classes start or a similar situation, such as when you withdraw from the waitlist they offer you a spot? Or is it just an agreement to attend if accepted outright?


it's just an agreement to attend if accepted outright.


Will a school take it personally if i send them my LOCI, they accept me, but I end up not going?


if the LOCI says you're 100% committed to the school, then yes. if the LOCI just expresses general interest in the school, then no.

pinkhearts
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby pinkhearts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:23 pm

is it stupid to send two LOCI before the decision is rendered? I have something to update, I made Phi Beta Kappa since the last time that I sent a LOCI, but nothing else. I've been complete since Nov, and am starting to go insane. Is it worth it to send another one?

Would you phrase the withdraw all apps and attend ____ school, precisely as that? Or is there some sort of more ambiguous phrasing that you would use?

User avatar
NUMB3RFIFTY
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:41 pm

pinkhearts wrote:is it stupid to send two LOCI before the decision is rendered? I have something to update, I made Phi Beta Kappa since the last time that I sent a LOCI, but nothing else. I've been complete since Nov, and am starting to go insane. Is it worth it to send another one?

Would you phrase the withdraw all apps and attend ____ school, precisely as that? Or is there some sort of more ambiguous phrasing that you would use?


I have read quite a few threads about this and it seems like the verdict is the following: Actual updates of value (LORS, Work Experience, Honors) are always welcome, but if it's nothing more than a simple statement of interest, then more than one may be excessive. If you're not ready to 100% commit yourself to the school, just state your general interest and outline why you're interested. If you ARE ready to commit yourself, specify that you will withdraw all other apps.

I'm sure more experienced people will read over that and agree/disagree accordingly, but of all the threads i've read, that seems to be the consensus.

angela
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 am

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby angela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

anyone heard anything about writing a LOCI for Hastings? I really want to write one, but am nervous because they are so strict about sending extra materials. thanks

bulletreverb
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby bulletreverb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm getting closer to doing this. i think i have WL numbers, so if i update the app with all this great news now, i'll have nothing new to report if i do get WL. (I suppose...) also, does it matter if its emailed or snail mailed? i've heard pro's and con's for both.

User avatar
chanchito
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby chanchito » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm

If you say that you will attend if accepted, is this a binding contract? I mean you sign it at the end, but does it have that power?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 pm

chanchito wrote:If you say that you will attend if accepted, is this a binding contract? I mean you sign it at the end, but does it have that power?

There are two possibilities, and rather than say which is correct I'll let you weigh both of them together:

1) It is binding. You violating that would break a contract with a law school and they can take action against you.

2) It is not binding in a legal sense. However, you made a statement that appears to have misrepresented your intentions, and law schools will possibly do things like notify peer law schools about the misrepresentation. Alternately the law school could report your misrepresentation to the bar, which could consider it as part of your Character & Fitness.

I don't think it matters whether it's legally binding or not, because you're potentially screwed either way.

gmen028
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am

Re: LOCI before decision rendered? Does it exist? Been Done?

Postby gmen028 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm

What is the board's thoughts on sending a LOCI to a reach school (i.e. below median LSAT, within 25-75% GPA) prior to admission? I am at the point where I feel like a waitlist would be the best decision that I could receive for this particular school, so my question is if I promise to commit 100% to the school and pay sticker do you think it will boost my application in their eyes, hurt it or have no effect whatsoever? Any advice is appreciated.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests