Minimum numbers to have to suspect YP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PlugInBaby

Bronze

Minimum numbers to have to suspect YP

Post by PlugInBaby » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm just curious what you guys think the threshold is. I would guess one would have to be WL'd from a school in which both your LSAT and GPA is over the 75th percentile in each to be considered YP. Any thoughts?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: Minimum numbers to have to suspect YP

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:33 am

Yeah, that's a fair indication, but only if you're sure your LORs were 100% positive (no red flags). Of course, the people that have red flags in their LORs are usually the least likely to realize that it might have happened.

Also, it can only count as YP if you didn't write a "risky" PS. I've seen a lot of people on here say "my PS was love-it-or-hate it" or something like that. Yeah, you love it and they hate it. I can't think of anything more asinine.

Baloo

New

Post by Baloo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Well, I applied to a school about two weeks ago and received a WL email Yesterday (Friday, March 19). My numbers are two points above their 75th for LSAT and at their median for GPA. I emailed an LOCI and additional LOR that same day. I got an email tonight from the Dean asking to speak to me ASAP. In the email, I was asked to look closely at the WL FAQ on their website and was specifically told to look at the comment "if you are accepted off the WL, you have two days to respond." I'm guessing this is a YP and that I'll be admitted when we speak or soon there after. Guessing and hoping.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:29 am

Baloo wrote:Well, I applied to a school about two weeks ago and received a WL email Yesterday (Friday, March 19). My numbers are two points above their 75th for LSAT and at their median for GPA. I emailed an LOCI and additional LOR that same day. I got an email tonight from the Dean asking to speak to me ASAP. In the email, I was asked to look closely at the WL FAQ on their website and was specifically told to look at the comment "if you are accepted off the WL, you have two days to respond." I'm guessing this is a YP and that I'll be admitted when we speak or soon there after. Guessing and hoping.
Better demand scholly $.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:31 am

Nice

^^^^
good point

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Yeah, that's a fair indication, but only if you're sure your LORs were 100% positive (no red flags). Of course, the people that have red flags in their LORs are usually the least likely to realize that it might have happened.

Also, it can only count as YP if you didn't write a "risky" PS. I've seen a lot of people on here say "my PS was love-it-or-hate it" or something like that. Yeah, you love it and they hate it. I can't think of anything more asinine.
I also suppose an isolated case would be YP, but a lot of the same would indicate a red flag in the LORs or elsewhere.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:31 am

Well I do think that YP-ing is a pretty common practice, especially for applicants that have a generic PS and no apparent tie to the institution/city. So I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get YP'd a bunch.

Is there a circumstance you'd like to share?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Well I do think that YP-ing is a pretty common practice, especially for applicants that have a generic PS and no apparent tie to the institution/city. So I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get YP'd a bunch.

I got waitlisted at a few schools that the LSAC calculator had me like at a 75% chance of admission but that's not a huge thing I guess.

I did have to pester a few schools for extra scholly $ and a few were receptive. Either they were trying to see if I'd let them low-ball me or they thought I really didn't want to go there are were just using them as a safety. Funny thing (I guess) is that I ended up at one of two of my uber safety schools.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Well I do think that YP-ing is a pretty common practice, especially for applicants that have a generic PS and no apparent tie to the institution/city. So I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get YP'd a bunch.

I never even heard of YP when Seattle U waitlisted me. Given my stats it was an absolute shock. My LORs were pretty good (one was my honors mentor who oversaw my senior thesis, the other I had two classes with and voluntarily shook my hand after a final saying he loved having me in class). My PS was dark but optimistic, however it did not indicate any ties to the school and was conformed to the 700 word limit of the U of Washington personal statement.

Chicago-Kent, a similarly ranked school, got the same PS and LORs and offered me money. I also did apply to some lower ranked schools (lower part of T2) as a kneejerk reaction. I am still waiting to hear from my top choice (U-Dub).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
I never even heard of YP when Seattle U waitlisted me. Given my stats it was an absolute shock. My LORs were pretty good (one was my honors mentor who oversaw my senior thesis, the other I had two classes with and voluntarily shook my hand after a final saying he loved having me in class). My PS was dark but optimistic, however it did not indicate any ties to the school and was conformed to the 700 word limit of the U of Washington personal statement.

Chicago-Kent, a similarly ranked school, got the same PS and LORs and offered me money. I also did apply to some lower ranked schools (lower part of T2) as a kneejerk reaction. I am still waiting to hear from my top choice (U-Dub).
I just looked at the LSN board, and you're pretty squarely in the admit territory. But it doesn't look like they were YP-ing a bunch of candidates. Might be that they saw something they didn't like in your app, where the Chicago rep saw nothing wrong with it. It's so hard to know. It's obviously nothing bad enough to reject you. If you don't get into UW, and Seattle is where you want to be, you might call them and express disappointment about the waitlist. From my friends' experiences, calling is very effective, makes them remember you and shows you really care.

I had a friend who got WL'd at Harvard (UG) and she called everyday for two months. Eventually got in. So even annoying them can work!!

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm

what does YP mean?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 pm

CSKNJ wrote:what does YP mean?
Yield protection. Yield is the percentage of accepted students that matriculate. So to keep the acceptance rate down, and selectivity high, they need to be cautious of the matriculation rate.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm fairly sure I was yped at american, check profile for stats and then look at lsn, it
seems like
165 is the magic cut off and just about everyone above is wled

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 am

beesknees wrote:When a 173+ with a 3.7+ gpa is more likely to get you WL at a school than a 169/3.6er, you know something's up.
No, no, no. Above 169, students just get too cerebral. They're the bad kinda smart, where they start developing social problems. :mrgreen:

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 am

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:24 am

Yield protection. Yield is the percentage of accepted students that matriculate. So to keep the acceptance rate down, and selectivity high, they need to be cautious of the matriculation rate.
This explains why I was wait listed at Michigan State while accepted at Rutgers, Pitt, and Maryland. MSU admissions probably recognized that their school was my safety school of last resort and that I virtually no chance of going there. Do schools usually eventually accept those they wait list in scenarios like this? I am kind of embarrassed to read of MSU's acceptance rate of over 50% while my application languishes in purgatory.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 am

CSKNJ wrote:
This explains why I was wait listed at Michigan State while accepted at Rutgers, Pitt, and Maryland. MSU admissions probably recognized that their school was my safety school of last resort and that I virtually no chance of going there. Do schools usually eventually accept those they wait list in scenarios like this? I am kind of embarrassed to read of MSU's acceptance rate of over 50% while my application languishes in purgatory.
they'll usually accept you if you write to them and explain that you actually do want to go there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”