When schools are slow with early apps...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ViP

When schools are slow with early apps...

Postby ViP » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm curious to hear different opinions on this topic.

Why do you think schools take such a long time to give you a decision even if you submitted your application extremely early?

Many, many law schools emphasize the importance of applying early, and yet so many students that heed this advice don't receive decisions until April.

Is the common consensus that this is some sort of "unofficial hold" at play? If so, then why do auto-admits and auto-rejects sometimes fall into this category of applicants?

chanchito

Re: When schools are slow with early apps...

Postby chanchito » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Yeah this is an interesting question. I didn't apply until January and heard that I got into NYU 2 week after going complete. On the other hand there are people who applied in the fall and still don't know anything. So maybe applying late doesn't really hurt because if you weren't good enough before you just get held until later. Kind of like applying late maybe.

ViP

Re: When schools are slow with early apps...

Postby ViP » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:32 pm

chanchito wrote:Yeah this is an interesting question. I didn't apply until January and heard that I got into NYU 2 week after going complete. On the other hand there are people who applied in the fall and still don't know anything. So maybe applying late doesn't really hurt because if you weren't good enough before you just get held until later. Kind of like applying late maybe.

Well, I still believe that applying early is very beneficial at most schools and in most scenarios. You're competing for more open spots. But it's obviously frustrating in those scenarios in which you apply very early to benefit, but you're the last to hear back.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”