Merit based off of WL?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
guinness85

Merit based off of WL?

Postby guinness85 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Is there typically less merit based awarded coming off of a waitlist?

mb88

Re: Merit based off of WL?

Postby mb88 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Usually. There are always exceptions, of course, but for the most part merit aid is reserved for the top students that the school wants to woo away from other peer schools. If you're coming in off the wait-list, chances are that you're a borderline 50/50 candidate, and thus wouldn't have qualified for merit aid to begin with.

guinness85

Postby guinness85 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Does anyone have experience getting $$ off of a waitlist??

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:13 pm

guinness85 wrote:Does anyone have experience getting $$ off of a waitlist??

full tuition + stipend at a couple of wl schools last year.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:10 pm

I think it depends on why you're WL'd. If it was for YP, i.e. your numbers are too good for the school, it's possible. If you were WL'd because you were a borderline candidate to begin with, w/o retaking the LSAT I don't see why/how they'd offer you merit aid.

KennyG

Postby KennyG » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Looking on LSN there a certainly some schools who seem to offer the money unclaimed after the first and second round of deposits to people on the WL. On one hand, I think its silly that they offer money to the lesser qualified candidates, but on the other hand, why offer scholarship money to people who have already committed?

guinness85

Postby guinness85 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I think it depends on why you're WL'd. If it was for YP, i.e. your numbers are too good for the school, it's possible. If you were WL'd because you were a borderline candidate to begin with, w/o retaking the LSAT I don't see why/how they'd offer you merit aid.

This cycle there seems to be a lot of WL with high numbers just because they applied late. I think that this is what happened to me at a couple of my schools. The question is, place deposit at T2 where I have full ride, or wait and hope to get off wait list with at least some $$ (probably very optimistic/unrealistic?).

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm

What about need-based aid for students coming off WL?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

guinness85 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:I think it depends on why you're WL'd. If it was for YP, i.e. your numbers are too good for the school, it's possible. If you were WL'd because you were a borderline candidate to begin with, w/o retaking the LSAT I don't see why/how they'd offer you merit aid.

This cycle there seems to be a lot of WL with high numbers just because they applied late. I think that this is what happened to me at a couple of my schools. The question is, place deposit at T2 where I have full ride, or wait and hope to get off wait list with at least some $$ (probably very optimistic/unrealistic?).

What about option C: Pay your seat deposit at T2 AND ride out the W/L with the hope of being offered some cash if you get off.

guinness85

Postby guinness85 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
guinness85 wrote:

What about option C: Pay your seat deposit at T2 AND ride out the W/L with the hope of being offered some cash if you get off.

Yes... just want to avoid dropping the coin :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”